Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 M Type Body
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2022 :  09:44:34  Show Profile
is anyone making these in this day and age? -Rich

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2022 :  10:18:31  Show Profile
Check with Andy King. He bought Enrique Llinares' business when Enrique retired. See:

www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=11981

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
698 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2022 :  11:01:44  Show Profile
Rich, I think Gary Waiting has made these in the past.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
355 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2022 :  15:02:14  Show Profile
My ash frame was made 18 months ago by Stephen Sowerby , under the expert supervision of David Cooksey. I know he has made three more since then so should be well set up and he does a thoroughly good job . His works are between Swindon and Newbury in a village called Albourne. I have looked for contact details but can't find them , only his bank details ! He does advertise in the VSCC magazine .
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1027 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2022 :  15:09:58  Show Profile
sometimes Google is your friend ;)
http://sowerbyashframing.co.uk/author/sowerby/

Onno "J,D,M" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

nigel stroud

United Kingdom
107 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2022 :  16:27:30  Show Profile
I have drawings with patterns and an assembly jig if you fancy building your own
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1457 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2022 :  22:10:47  Show Profile
All those I've seen lately make the boot with a simple slope rather than the proper curve, and make the bottom and top rails of the doors parallel to each other whereas the top rail is meant to slope down slightly from front to back. They also make the top of the scuttle and bonnet horizontal - it's supposed to be a little higher at the back. You might be better off making your own.
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
633 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2022 :  08:51:11  Show Profile
There was a book (published in the 70s maybe?) that purported to tell you how to make an M Type body. It contains all the faults that Ian describes and presumably is the root cause of all the many incorrect M type bodies that you see around. An M Type body is full of subtle curves that give it its distinctive lines.

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
355 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2022 :  09:08:23  Show Profile
It's a damn good thing that David Cooksey supervised the construction of mine. 'Twas the first one that Steven Sowerby had done , so all subsequent ones will be correct .
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1457 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2022 :  09:58:44  Show Profile
Fred, but why does he make them without removable floorboards?
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
633 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2022 :  11:50:25  Show Profile
I didn't think you could take the floorboards out of an M Type? As I recall, the method of construction is to build off the floor boards and they are an integral part of the body....

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1027 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2022 :  12:29:26  Show Profile
I think there is even a periode picture of M type bodies ready for fitting with floorboards fixed in place

Onno "J,D,M" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
355 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2022 :  12:59:24  Show Profile
I understood that some M type owners modify the floorboards to make removal of the gearbox easier - but it's pretty easy anyway !
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
698 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2022 :  16:06:43  Show Profile
Guys,
I believe that the gearbox access panels either side were an original feature and are visible on the period photo of the bodies being delivered in crates to the factory. When I bought my replacement body from Ash Frames International many years ago (they claimed to have had an original body that they had copied exactly) it appeared to be correct but did have a one piece floor either side. I fitted the body after the engine and gearbox were in place and some years later I needed to remove the gearbox. I found that it was impossible to do this with the one piece floor and had to cut the access panels in situ or take the body off. My advice would be cut to them before you fit the body to the chassis. It is so much easier. There are many period photos buried in these archives with pictures of the original floor layout and surviving examples if you are interested. Sam Christie is probably the senior font of knowledge on this subject and helped me a lot when I need to get my gearbox out!
Keith
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2022 :  16:08:06  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Orstin

There was a book (published in the 70s maybe?) that purported to tell you how to make an M Type body. It contains all the faults that Ian describes and presumably is the root cause of all the many incorrect M type bodies that you see around. An M Type body is full of subtle curves that give it its distinctive lines.

So many dynamos

Yes, And there was a large blueprint that looked original, but wasn't, which also contained the errors. I think a lot of restorers used it, thinking it was a factory drawing. I still have a copy somewhere.

For comparison, this is my Semi-sports Minor tail. Much heavier construction than the M, with complex twisting double curves timbers. Think yourself lucky! I've built four of these - they are sods to get exactly right. No opening boot lid but you can see the shelf in the tail for the spare, accessed by tilting the seat forward.

The finished tail:

Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1457 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2022 :  17:42:53  Show Profile
I used to think the floor was one piece but I was very pleased to find out I was wrong. Removing a three speed box is bad enough but a four speed is almost impossible without removable front boards.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000