Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Propshaft for M-type
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Reinout

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2022 :  15:50:11  Show Profile
Looking for prop shaft for a M-Type, with the 3-pronged ends for the fabric/ribber couplings. Some prewar Minors Minors used similar shafts but with different lengths. I intend to use it for a 4-speed gear box conversion which means that the length of the propshaft will have to be adapted to fit anyway.

Reinout Vogt
Emma
1931 M-Type 2M/2735

colintf

United Kingdom
1485 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2022 :  17:52:30  Show Profile
Have you tried Andy King Reinout ?

Colin Murrell
PA0786 (D0285 previously)
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3059 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2022 :  00:06:21  Show Profile

Reinout, would it not be an ideal opportunity to convert to a prop shaft made to order with more modern Hardy Spicer couplings? Since your are converting to a four speed gearbox originality is clearly not an issue. Apart from all their other advantages these are very much safer than the flexible type.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
357 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2022 :  08:08:40  Show Profile
Reinout , if all else fails, I have an original M propshaft here , surplus to requirements. Quite how much it would cost to get it to you , I don't know .
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
651 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2022 :  14:13:39  Show Profile
Fabric couplings are an absolute pig to remove and even worse to replace with new ones.
Go down the Hardy Spicer route.
Go to Top of Page

Reinout

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2022 :  15:26:15  Show Profile
Thank you for your offer, Fred and for the suggestions Sam, Tony and Colin.
I am not familiar with Hardy Spicer but I will look into that option before I continue. In the mean time, if a shaft (with the couplings) would be available here in the US, I would certainly be happy.

Reinout Vogt
Emma
1931 M-Type 2M/2735
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1459 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2022 :  17:38:03  Show Profile
Reinout, if you want to know what a Hardy Spicer shaft looks like then just look under an MGB. I believe some people have shortened B shafts to fit MMM cars but used in an M Type adaptor plates would also be needed for the spiders.
Go to Top of Page

mackeith

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2022 :  20:23:25  Show Profile
Greetings Reinout from Virginia, I've uploaded to the 'My Triple-Ms' records a picture of M662's 4 speed, 3 prong spider adapter to 4 bolt Hardy Spicer coupling in situ. In meantime while the pic needs to be approved I'll email it to you. I can also take any other photos/measurements you might want. So good to gradually learn more about M662 mods. Cheers James
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000