Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 Registration MG2763
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TCTom

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2022 :  01:46:01  Show Profile
Received a fabric printed picture today of a swept wing green with black interior J2, with regular and brooklands windscreens.
Registration plate on the front is MG2763. Unable to ascertain where the photo was taken.
DVLA shows it as a 1933 green MG, no V5 since October 1991.
Our register book doesn't show MG2763 as listed, though MG2762 is J3663.

Anyone know of the whereabouts of MG2763?

Tom Wilson
Zionsville, IN USA

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2022 :  05:56:12  Show Profile
Hello Tom, as far as we know this could be J3623. It has not been allocated a register number because the ownership trail appears to have gone cold.

We have two photographs of the car in the records, one showing it as the winner of the Cheddar Concours and Gymkhana 1969 when owned by Alan Simpson and another contributed by Jack Gardiner showing the car in 1984.

The record suggests that the car may be owned by Andrew Moreland - not the same person as Andrew Morland, the well known racer of a four seater L type - but other than that our records are completely blank and we would also dearly love to have more details of this car!

Dick Morbey, Register Secretary
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
secretary@triple-mregister.org
Go to Top of Page

TCTom

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2022 :  15:42:15  Show Profile
Dick, that's certainly the car. I'll attach a photo of the piece I received - it's a 16"x24" printed fabric covered bulletin board. Given to me Monday by the guy who is rebuilding/restoring the body of my VA Saloon. He told me it was given to him more than 25 years ago and has hung in his shop since then; since I'm an MG enthusiast he thought I'd appreciate it.

I'll bet when he sat down at dinner last night he said to his wife "Guess what honey! I got rid of some old stuff today!"
Wonder where this J2 is today?

Tom Wilson
Zionsville, IN USA
Go to Top of Page

John Libbert

USA
211 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2022 :  17:14:38  Show Profile
Hi Tom,

Heere's a picture of a picture that's hanging in my shop of the very same J2. I don't recall when or who I got this from, but I believe I have the same "picture", on fabric, stretched over a frame too. Remember our conversation the other day? I know I have it but don't remember exactly where it is! Well after a quick look I did find it and another framed picture, plus the added bonus of finding the new green door panels from you for the TC interior, and I wasn't even looking for them!

Shazam! What a great day!!!

John, in Southern Ohio

Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3229 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2022 :  18:20:04  Show Profile
I recall seeing this car when it won the concours held at Cheddar Gorge just South of Bristol. It created a real impression as the rebuild was to a high standard, it even had a wicker picnic basket strapped to the luggage rack which can be seen in the picture.

Very strangely both Alan Simpson and the J2 disappeared after attending just the one event which I think Steve Dear organised. In addition to the concours there were driving tests in a grass field.

George
Registrar F/L/N types.

Edited by - George Eagle on 24/05/2022 18:26:40
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2022 :  18:33:53  Show Profile
I think Alan and the J2 attended the wonderful gathering that used to take place at Wilsic Hall . His J2 was outstanding .
It was a super venue with so many cars parked on the large lawn in front , or rear of the hall , The weather was always sunny , l recall and it was a lovely event .
Go to Top of Page

TCTom

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2022 :  18:54:23  Show Profile
That's the one, John!
The firm doing my VA saloon body rebuild specializes in prewar coach built cars (wood frame, sheet metal tacked on like ours) and airplanes - Waco, Stearman, Piper. Dad and young son operation. Very cool, very skilled, very good at keeping on schedule.

I'm curious now as to where MG 2763 resides . . .

Tom Wilson
Zionsville, IN USA
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3212 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2022 :  20:26:25  Show Profile
I'm curious now as to where MG 2763 resides . . .

In a picture frame on the wall of my shop.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, 2M1281, NA0651
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000