Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Cecil Cousins
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jeff Shackell

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2012 :  18:12:20  Show Profile
On talking with my father the other day, who is 80, he remarked that his cousin was once married to the daughter (Jane) of Cecil Cousins. Cecil was I gather a very early, or the first MG employee and later became the works manager? Cecil was GM at MG when the TF was being made (longer perhaps?) My father worked at MG when the TF was in production and remembers everyone pretty much standing to attention when Mr. Cousins made his way through the factory floor.

I can only imagine that Cecil Cousins would have been at the MG factory right the way through our particular breed and interest in MG cars and must have been an interesting man to talk to in later years. I would have been but a child when his daughter was married to my fathers cousin but I knew there was MG history somewhere!

Does anyone have more on Cecil Cousins and his possible contribution to the range of triple M cars?

Regards and Happy New Year to all.

Jeff

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2012 :  15:29:32  Show Profile
Geoff,

Cecil Cousins was indeed one of the earliest employees of the MG Company, and once told me that he started at Morris Garages before Cecil Kimber! This was true, for he was running the Service Shop when Kimber joined the Company as Assistant Sales Manager in 1922.

He was always known as "Cec" behind his back, but a respectful "Mr Cousins" to his face. He was a friendly man, and a good "boss". He was Works Maganger when I joined the Company in 1964, and retired from that position in (if I remember rightly) 1967. I interviewed him a couple of times, and many of the stories I tell in "Works MG" originate from him. He helped Frank Lowndes and Frank Stevens to built Old No One, and was the general racing Team Manager at the famous 1930 and 1931 Double Twelve races, on which much of MG history is based.

An Oxford man he spoke with a broad Oxford accent, and once I asked him (in relation to his trips to the Continent in the 1930's) if he spoke French. His reply was "Mike, I speaks only one furrin language: the Kings' English, and I dont speak that too well!" His stories were often sprinkled with expletives, which he exhorted me to leave out!

He stood 6'3" tall, so was quite an imposing presence.
In his last years (he died in 1969) we got him to speak at Club meetings, and had wanted me to help him write his biorgraphy, but unfortunately he was taken ill in the winter, and died.
I treaure his memory, and those of other men who retired shortly after I joined the Company.

I hope the above is of interest.

Mike Allison
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  09:45:28  Show Profile
Hello again,
For the benefit of correct knowledge, Cec Cousins died early in 1975.
Mike
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  10:32:42  Show Profile
Mike, I always enjoy your stories of the "old days". Sometimes we, especially "down under", feel a bit remote from the proper action. I visited the factory in early 1962 and was presented with a badge, cuff links and a tie (which I still have!) but they would not let me in to the works because production of the MGB had started and the "powers that be" did not want "strangers" to see it. I dare say that you were still there then. My first car was a P-type in 1956 and today I have several MG's which I have restored and drive (including two prewars) and my 1947 TC which I have had for nearly 50 years! Trust that you are now fit and well, I always enjoy yours and David's comments.
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Shackell

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  21:59:40  Show Profile
Hello Mike

Thank you very much for your recollections of Cecil Cousins. He was clearly an MG man through and through and it is good to know that much of the knowledge gained by the originals like him live on today in very talented people who also have MG and others close to their heart and not their wallet.

Regards. Jeff

Jeff Shackell
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  23:25:08  Show Profile
Mike, may I second Barry's remarks? Of course it's not only the stories, wonderful as they are. It's also the knowledge born of long experience which you and David impart and which I for one value. I'm sure everyone else does too.

Regards,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2012 :  23:37:47  Show Profile
Hi Jeff,
Super from Mike & Co., but wondered if Jane is still around, are there were any old family photos that may have been considered at the time not relevant?
Cars in the background etc.
Many thanks,

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  14:35:33  Show Profile
Slightly off the actual subject of this topic but brings to mind the number of recent posts mentioning ex MG personalities who have been remembered or someone has had a thread to one.

Reminds me of the following co-incidences brought about from idle chat.
My local garage owner was an apprentice at Abingdon and a friend in the village had an uncle who worked under Enever at Abingdon. Hopes to be able to find some family photos that may throw more light on this. All within a few miles of my home.
Anyone else with MG connections?

Bob

Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3209 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2012 :  23:20:59  Show Profile
The call for other personalities brings to mind Jim (Jimmy) Simpson who started at Abingdon at age 14 as the tea boy. He retired from MG as the works fire chief and head of incoming inspections only months before the factory closing in 1980. At age 84 I brought him to the US to attend MG 2001 in St. Paul, Minnesota, a trip he has not stopped talking about. At age 95, he still resides in Abingdon,albeit in frail health. I correspond with him frequently. He has numerous mentions in such books as "Behind the Octagon" and "Those were the days... MG's Abingdon Factory" by Brian Moylan.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  16:56:59  Show Profile
A little more meat on the bones of my previous post.

My local garage owner is Barry Fordham and my village friend who had an uncle at Abingdon now turns out that he had three uncles working there all with the name Lodge, the one who apparently worked under Enever was Jack Lodge.

Do any of these names ring a bell with anyone associated with Abingdon?

Regards to all
Bob
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
960 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  20:12:24  Show Profile

Jack Lodge used to drive one of the three vans which were built on the TC chassis. These vans were used to pick up (presumably urgently needed) parts from the Midlands and run them back to the Factory. The trouble was that they were regularly picked up by the police for speeding and they were eventually de-commissioned and rebuilt as standard TCs, at least two of which have survived.

Jack's son, John used to race MGBs but is no longer involved.

JOHN JAMES www.ttypes.org

Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  12:31:12  Show Profile
Thanks John for that interesting snippet regarding Jack Lodge.

His contact with the Police must have led him to persuade his nephew, my friend, to join the Force which he did and has just retired from on the basis I suppose "that if you can't beat them join them".

Bob
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000