Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Stiles F type F0948 Reg Number MG1624
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

William Cullen

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2012 :  20:24:33  Show Profile
Hi All
I have recently made contact with my cousin who emigrated to OZ with my uncle & aunt in the late 50's early 60's and have found during our contacts that my uncle owned the above car which he bought in 1949 after some work he and my aunt toured the west county, he owned the car for several years but because of the continued problems with the car he sold it for very little money but we are not sure when.The car is now in America and we woul like to know what happened to the car and how it got to America do you know? if so we would love to hear from you.The chassis number is just a few away from my own F type special.
Thanks from Bill & Derrick Cullen Have attach photos of the car in 1949

Bill

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2012 :  20:38:12  Show Profile
Hello William,

According to my 2011 copy of the Register, the current information about this car states the situation as at November 1998 but nothing before nor since. This is probably one for Robin the Registrar to comment on?
I don't think owner Malcolm Appleton is listed as a Member on this discussion forum, but if anyone knows of his whereabouts perhaps they'd be kind enough to put him in touch?

Best wishes
Dick
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1711 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2012 :  21:11:19  Show Profile
F0948 is being rebuilt by Malcolm Appleton in the States. I have been trying to contact him as i am rebuilding one and am manufacturing some of the more difficult to find bits.

Recent photos of the car are at www.fmagna.org. Go to the site, click on "registry" down on the left hand side and then scroll down to the correct chassis number. These pictures might be a couple of years old now.

I don't know if any of our American friends can alert Malcolm to this thread. I am sure he would be delighted to learn of this snippet of the car's history.

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3209 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2012 :  23:48:07  Show Profile
I have emailed Malcolm Appleton's email address to both Bill and Peter off list.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3209 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  04:12:06  Show Profile
I received the folowing from Malcolm Appleton, the current owner of F0948.

Hi Lew, I also got this pic from Ian Ross today and what a surprise – I am pleased you passed my email address onto Peter and Bill. Of course I am very excited about this find.

I am not a member of the MMM Register so cant log in but perhaps you could post this bit of information on the Forum site – it answers some the posted questions :-

The STILES THREESOME F1 0948 was purchased by a David Gannicott in 1958 from a garage in Slough nr London. He shipped it to Montreal in 1961 and drove it to Toronto. I have been in touch with David who has sent me a lot of info on the car and a video of the car participating in Ice Racing in the early 60s in Canada. It was then purchased by Alex Thompson in Montreal in the late 60s who had it until I purchased it in 1998.

The original owner of the car was Dr. Frankis Tilney Evans who was a prominent doctor on Harley Street. I found his daughter who is also a doctor living in London. We have corresponded and she told me that her father purchased the car for her mother ( Violette) on May 2 1932 which corresponds to the date of purchase by Dr. Evans from University Motors.

As you can see I have done considerable research on the cars ownership and any further owner history and pictures will only enhance the provenance record for F1 0948.

Thanks so much for passing on this latest picture and info – I am very excited to pursue this lead and who knows what this will lead to !!!

All the best

malcolm

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3209 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  04:30:20  Show Profile
The attachment of three photos from Malcolm didn't attach the first time, so I'll try again.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

gordclark

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  06:04:54  Show Profile
Here is a more recent pic of F0948. Its taken at the Stowe, Vermont 'British Invasion' in 2010. The car is unfinished in these pix, but I believe Malcolm has since finished the car.

This F languished in Montréal for many years under a dust sheet, and completely unknown to the MG commuity in Montreal. I'm sure Malcolm slipped it out under the secrecy of the darkness of night as thare are several Montréal MG enthusiasts who would have loved to have the car, and keep it as one of the remaining 37 MMM cars in Canada.

Gord Clark
Rockburn, Qué.

Go to Top of Page

gordclark

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  06:26:18  Show Profile
... sorry. I selected the wrong Styles F-Type from my picture library. The pic above is of another F-Type Styles located on the West Coast of Canada. Below is the correct Malcolm Appleton F0948.

Gord Clark
Rockburn, Qué.

Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1711 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  09:24:00  Show Profile
Lew

Thank you for sending Malcolm's address, I look forward to receiving it in due course. I have seen the photos of his car and long admired the quality of the work being done on it.

What a beautiful restoration also, the car in Vancouver. I hadn't seen the picture before. I think the car belongs to Peter Welch and is in an original Stiles colour scheme, rather more stylish than the standard MMM! If all this is right the car is F0732 which had UK registration YG605 and was originally a salonette later fitted with an original Stiles body.

I would be keen to contact Peter Welch as the car has not got the correct Stiles dash or windscreen and I shall be making (or having made) copies of originals for various other Stiles owners.

Lew, I look forward to receiving Malcolm's address and I wonder, could Gord put me in touch with Peter Welch?

Many thanks all, really good to see these lovely cars, lets hope the rebuild of my Stiles, F0313, goes smoothly.

Cheers

Peter

Go to Top of Page

William Cullen

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  12:53:56  Show Profile
Hi All

Derrick and I thank you all for your help and info,we will be contacting Malcolm.

I will be visiting Roy Privett the chap in the car with in the next few weeks and understand he might have some more photos of the car which we will pass on to the forum.

Thanks from

Bill & Derrick Cullen

Bill
Go to Top of Page

gordclark

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2012 :  17:41:42  Show Profile
Hi Peter L,

Sorry, but I have agreed with the owners on my Canadian dataBase of 37 MMM MGs, not to proliferate their personal information in respect of Privacy laws.

I will pass on your request, and the owner can contact you directly; but first, we need your e-mail address. So would you please furnish me with it off this Board using the facility provided. Then I will forward your request to the owner.

Gord Clark
Rockburn, Qué.

Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3209 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2012 :  18:23:41  Show Profile
From Malcolm Appleton:
Hi Lew, here I am contacting you again to respond to PeterL re the Stiles windshield and dash as I don’t have his email address that he posted on The Forum.

On the windshield Stiles offered 2 windshields, the standard one which I think is on Peters Welch’s car like the standard F Type offered by MG ( although I seem to remember talking to Peter on this and he thought it might have come off another type of car ???).

On the dash, I have a remade Stiles dash based on an original panel ( there is a picture on the F Magna web site – they had 2 open recessed glove pockets at each end with the standard D/F type center instrument panel. They also offered options for additional instruments.

Can you post this on the Forum as an answer to PeterL questions.

Thanks

malcolm

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000