Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Technical Information Forum
 Evans Waterless Coolants
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Oz34

United Kingdom
2042 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  14:57:52  Show Profile
Am I the only one never to have heard of these products advertised in the latest SF? They sound fantastic, but the cynic in me says they would say that wouldn't they.
Has anyone any practical experience of them, or other knowledge?

Cheers,

Dave

Dan F

USA
703 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  15:49:33  Show Profile
Dave:
I am curious what everyone says as well. I asked a similar question a few months ago but can't seem to find the responses. I purchased some to hopefully bring done the temp of my P type engine. I never used it because I don't recall getting any responses of MMM people that have used it.
Best
Dan
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  17:38:22  Show Profile
I think the vintage is purple. Google their website.
Water=oxidisation. Water boils 100, Evans 180. Non acidic. Once in a lifetime (no changes required.) No freezing.
Jay Leno has used it in his cars the last fourteen years.
Ask him.

Edited by - spitfire on 10/06/2012 17:39:13
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
855 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  21:11:31  Show Profile
Ok, I saw this add too and was curious. It sounds good, no more anti-freeze (which is not good for my car) etc etc. But, what is in it? I looked on their web-site & couldn't find what it's made up of. does anybody know-
What the chemical composition is?
Does it have any vices (like seeking out the smallest holes?
Cheers,
JH
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2042 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  21:46:48  Show Profile
Exactly Jeremy. It would be nice to hear from someone who had some real knowledge & experience. I can understand Dan's caution even after paying out for it.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

RH9797

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  11:38:49  Show Profile
Holden's sell a product called 4Life, which is a waterless coolant. Whilst I have no first hand experience, it comes highly recommended. It claims to be pH balanced and free from things that corrode vital parts of old engines, whilst also showing a colour change if there are any problems such as leaking head gasket etc.
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  11:54:30  Show Profile
Most likely is that this is polypropelene-glycol.
This is widely used in aircraft and also in motorsports.
It has a very high boiling point - is resistant to freezing (at normal ambient temps outside the arctic and antartic regions) and is also very stable.

It is however not cheap!
If you have a vehicle prone to slight indescretions (puppy like puddles) then I would advise against it.

I wouldnt use it on an established engine (used to running with water as the base coolant).
The amount of associated corrosion inside the block etc.. would lead to the new coolant not working to its best efficiency.
It does have a higher specific gravity to water (like all glycol based coolants).
But it allows you to run smaller radiators and carry less coolant - a modern F1 car carries very little coolant in mind of the engines power output - in comparrison to a MMM car.

I would consider use it with a highly supercharged engine (20 psi plus) - but then again plain water worked well enough on NA 0995 and was much cheaper too.
I have used the product with a very highly supercharged Lagonda Rapier engine - it worked very well and allowed us to run the engine effectiviely until we had time to make a larger radiator.
However a coolant leak was an expensive occupation.

You pays yer money and makes yer choice - me I stick to water and a bigger rad!
Regards David
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
660 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  15:17:53  Show Profile
I used "Water Wetter" when I was running methanol and stupid boost pressures(great fun but lots of work!) gave it up on returning to petrol as any escapes would eat the cellulose paintwork! but it did drop rad temp up to 10deg.
Just cleaned out the rad of another blown car and took out a couple of pounds of crusty crud! Now runs at 70*C at 6000rpm and 10psi boost---and that was on the rolling road.
Any limescale remover will help clear rubbish- and back wash with the rad upside down...best take it off the car first!
Foz
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
934 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  17:50:55  Show Profile
quote:
best take it off the car first

This is what I love about this forum - good honest useful advice based on years of experience. Another expensive mistake avoided, thanks to Barry !

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Chris Bucknell

Australia
105 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2012 :  04:46:11  Show Profile
Hi All,

I have used these products in R-Type and Supercharged P-Type for the last few years (I would say at least 5 years). My main driver was to prevent corrosion. As you can imagine radiator cores are a little hard to come by. Secondary driver was to get around the P-Type boiling on long climbs. On both counts I have found these to be great.

Going against them you can't just fill up anywhere so you need to carry enough with you in case of coolant hose loss etc. But at worst you can dump the lot and sub in water to get you home (expensive but at least plausible).

I used water wetter and also got a 5-10 deg drop in temp. Haven't found the paint issue but can't say I managed to get any of it onto it and maybe the paint protection protected it anyway.

Also yes Jeremey it does seem to seek out the smallest holes. Needed to tighten the radiator hoses and also exacerbated a slight leak from head gasket (now fixed).

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
1770 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2012 :  08:27:14  Show Profile
I have been approached direct by this company to be a distributor of their product. I did consider it and did a little research however I was not convinced that it would be a good all round asset to our MMM cars in terms to extra benefit V cost even at trade price. As David says, there is nothing cheaper than water and as Barry says, flushing a less that effective rad may be suffice.

If you are one for really thrashing your car around a track, then it may just be the product for you. This company will have a stand at Silverstone for those who want to learn more

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
1770 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2012 :  08:28:39  Show Profile
I have been approached direct by this company to be a distributor of their product. I did consider it and did a little research however I was not convinced that it would be a good all round asset to our MMM cars in terms to extra benefit V cost even at trade price. As David says, there is nothing cheaper than water and as Barry says, flushing a less that effective rad may be suffice.

If you are one for really thrashing your car around a track, then it may just be the product for you. This company will have a stand at Silverstone for those who want to learn more

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
855 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2012 :  09:58:30  Show Profile
Chris,
Like you, I was interested in the anti-corrosion properties, but also Winter protection. However, the bores on the J are wafer-thin & anti-freeze is a no no, so this stuff may well sneak where it shouldn't be. As for the K - the rad (which is about 8 cores thick), left to it's own devices is more like a sieve! Both cars are moving adverts for Barrs..... Carry on as normal I guess.

Thanks all,

JH
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2042 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2012 :  10:13:56  Show Profile
As the original poster, your input Chris is the sort of thing I was hoping for so many thanks, however I think I'm still a sceptic overall & will probably follow the general road of H2O.

cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2021 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000