Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Britain's Greatest Pilot
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Orstin

United Kingdom
633 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2014 :  07:24:56  Show Profile
Did anyone watch this program on BBC2 9pm Sunday night? If not, I can highly recommend it (it's available on I-player for those in the UK) Point of interest being a couple of shots of the car he owned around the time war broke out which looked MG to my untrained eyes. Anyone else spot it? I thought it had the lines of a Magnette of some variety and had the registration SS nnnn...

So many dynamos

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3228 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2014 :  08:54:18  Show Profile
Yes I watched the programme. What an amazing flying career. Eric Brown flew something like a world record 420 different aircraft including some German jets immediately on cessation of the war.

I am not sure what model of MG it was, the Registration SS3746 does not appear in the printed Register. I thought it might have been a L type?

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

mjb

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2014 :  09:06:24  Show Profile
Hello George, Yes I too thought it was an L type, I think the windscreen gave it away as an L1 four seater.

Mike,
L2063

Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3051 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2014 :  09:17:55  Show Profile
I recommend reading Eric Brown's book 'Wings on my Sleeve'. He was in in Munich with his MG when war broke out and was picked up by the SS who also lifted his car.They interrogated him for three days -

" At last I was pushed abruptly into another car and driven off, thinking that I was bound for a Gestapo cell or a firing squad, though I was puzzled to see that my MG was following along behind. To my astonishment we drove straight to the Swiss frontier. We got out and my guard said, "There you are. You are free to go."..…"You can take your car with you."…I gaped."Why are you letting me take that?"…"Because we have no spares."

Pages 6 & 7 .

Perhaps someone should ask Eric Brown which MG model he owned?

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 02/06/2014 09:37:57
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2494 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2014 :  09:35:05  Show Profile
I too watched, & recorded. Here is a screen shot, taken with my camera, hence relatively poor quality. I must confess I thought it "too chunky" to be an L & wondered about K1. Anyone else agree?

Dave

Have just looked at some K1 front view pics & now agree with L1!!

Edited by - Oz34 on 02/06/2014 09:37:02
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2494 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2014 :  10:09:42  Show Profile
Further thoughts on studying the pic.

Perhaps he was allowed to keep the car because of the registration letters!? Would those tyres pass an MOT? Clearly cooling was not a problem!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2014 :  17:42:49  Show Profile
I've been approached by Patrick Crew who manages Derek Bell and who happened to be sat next to Eric ‘Winkle’ Brown at a recent HMS Victory dinner.

You can see the TV programme referred to at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szten4iypCM

Patrick is involved in organising a special celebration at RNAS Yeovilton next Wednesday - 30th July (corrected date) for a photoshoot on the base with Eric present alongside some of the aircraft he flew. It's also planned to have a similar MG on display at the event, even if the original car (as seems likely) no longer exists.

So the question is:

1. Can anyone identify the model? An L1 4-seater seems the likeliest bet, and
2. Is anyone able to volunteer their car to attend the event?

Time is pressing so any comments/offers would be appreciated.

Patrick Crew can be contacted at:
patrick@derekbell.com
00 44 (0) 7711 956 526

Thanks in advance
Dick

Edited by - DickMorbey on 22/07/2014 20:30:36
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2014 :  11:49:45  Show Profile
UPDATE

As there appear to be very few L-types in running condition within the vicinity of Yeovilton, does anyone know of an F- or N-type that might be available for this special event?

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1709 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2014 :  12:20:19  Show Profile
Ask Ewan Harris in Crediton.

My F has oil supply problems but I will try to sort them in time...

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2014 :  13:56:27  Show Profile
Thanks Peter

At present we have the possibility of Don Smith's L1 but that is dependent on him getting the head and pistons back into the engine! Ewan is first reserve in his F-type.

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Richard Le Flufy

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2014 :  10:38:41  Show Profile
I appreciate that it will be too late for the Wednesday photoshoot, but I am attending his lecture on Tuesday evening to the Royal Aeronautical Society and will endeavour to ask him which model it was.
Richard Le F
J2

RLF
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2014 :  16:56:37  Show Profile
Pleased to report that one way or another Don Smith's L1 will be attending this event. Thanks to him for getting the car up and running in time (head back on and pistons re-installed!)

It's not yet clear whether other interested parties can attend the Yeovilton celebration - details are currently awaited and I'll post them when known.

Hopefully there will be pics from the 'do' which might make for a nice article in Safety Fast?

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Richard Le Flufy

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2014 :  19:52:46  Show Profile
I attended the lecture which was of course absolutely fascinating. Captain Winkle Brown is 95 and he stood for an hour and a half, spoke without notes (but slide show of aircraft to keep him on track) and had a remarkable command of detailed facts and figures. What a career, 482 different aircraft and over 2000 carrier landings.
I spoke to him afterwards but he could not recall what type of MG it was - "just a Magna I think" and the registration no, with SS was apparently entirely coincidental.
I do hope the photocell went well.
Richard

RLF
Go to Top of Page

Patrick Crew

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2014 :  17:47:54  Show Profile
My sincere thanks to Donald and Janet Smith for making the journey over to RNAS Yeovilton (VL) yesterday morning. My thanks also to Richard for his assistance.

Eric, and its a word so widely bandied about without any thought as to its true meaning, is a legend.

Without giving all the story away, his Magna (and we think it was a L1) made it back to the UK eventually from France, two months after Eric made the crossing over from Calais, in late 1939. The RAC bought it across for him!!, he is their oldest living and driving member. He sold the car to his mechanic, who, in his words, drove into the ground, in and around VL and the immediate area! We half joked that it might be buried under the now concrete runway.

It was the first time Eric had sat in an MG since 1939, so having the car at VL closed the loop.

The full story will appear in Octane magazine before the end of year. Donald will receive a full set of the professional photographers images, the ones below are my own, taken on the phone, bar the last which is the professional's image!

My thanks again.

Patrick Crew

Edited by - Patrick Crew on 31/07/2014 18:15:39
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2014 :  17:54:15  Show Profile
Thanks Patrick. It must have been a memorable day for all concerned and we in the Register are pleased to have played our part.

Don(ald) Smith has added the following:

"As no doubt the professionals will confirm the weather conditions were ideal for photography, sunshine and cloud giving a good backdrop.

I am pleased to report our L type discharged its duties, being photographed in front of the Sea Fury with Captain Brown at the wheel. My wife and I had the privilege and pleasure of having the opportunity to converse with Eric and his wife. As the photo of his car is black and white I asked what colour it was, expecting the answer " black ". To my surprise it was b.r.g., so our car being green, albeit two tone, was a plus.

For us it was a memorable day, enhanced by the flying display with the Sea Fury, put on for Eric Brown."

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

BobH

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2014 :  19:58:16  Show Profile
What a shame that the Sea Fury used for the photo session has just had a landing accident at the Culdrose air show. Looks repairable though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-28594569
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000