Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Robotics in the future of engine manufacturing
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gordclark

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2015 :  00:48:52  Show Profile
Most certainly off the topic of Triple M, but I think that many of you will be surprised to learn that GM does not hand-make their exclusive supercharged 6.2 litre 645 HP Corvette engine.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/bLtZNtvc1Aw

Definitely an edumacation!

Gord Clark
Rockburn, Qué.

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2015 :  18:16:14  Show Profile
There was an interesting BBC item last evening showing the making of intricate jewellery and aircraft engine parts by 3D printing - a production method previously derided on this Forum.

Add to this the current making of human body parts and prostheses and it is clear that, to quote the BBC, a second Industrial Revolution may be at hand.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3210 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2015 :  22:02:17  Show Profile
3D printing is very alive and well. I own one and have made a few parts for my PA, including dash lamp covers.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Hamish McNinch

United Kingdom
108 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2015 :  22:31:38  Show Profile
Let's see a picture Lew. No-one has managed to make decent repros of this item, as far as I know. So maybe you have the answer!
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3210 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2015 :  02:00:28  Show Profile
I need to get a photo, Hamish. However, mine are not a great copy either and I will not be using them, but I did make some which are a good fit. Just not the right color and, like the originals, a little fragile.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3210 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2015 :  14:23:54  Show Profile
Here is the photo of the one I made. This one was done in white which was then painted in a brown plastic paint.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
533 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2015 :  15:24:33  Show Profile
It's amazing to see how 3D printing has evolved over the past 10 years. I first saw it in the Renault F1 factory at Enstone around 10 years ago, printing prototype engine components in resin. Similar technology is now available in desk top form for around 3,000 Euros. At the CES event in Las Vegas this year, there was an entire exhibition hall full of 3D solutions for a variety of applications. This news appeared in the last few days, which may step change the emerging world of 3D printing. Some of the samples I have seen are surprisingly good quality and would be good enough for some of the hard to find parts for our cars.

http://rt.com/usa/241453-liquid-printing-system-faster/

Regards

Robin

J2 J3666 & J3 3764
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2015 :  10:08:39  Show Profile
Hamish, I am intrigued to read your comments about the unavailability of P Type dash-light covers. I am using a pair bought from Rich Hardy and I think they are great. Colour looks right to me, and the quality of manufacture could not be bettered. Admittedly, I haven't tested them by hitting them with a hammer, but apart from that I am very satisfied.

No connection with Rich apart from being an MMM friend and satisfied customer.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2141 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2015 :  22:03:44  Show Profile

Sorry I have failed Hamish!

I have made them this way deliberately as I only had originals to carefully study and copy, including thread forms and copying the differences in the tone finishes. The only deviation on the D43 was the decision not to replicate the cap securing spider. Comments on improvements always welcome

Regards

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

Hamish McNinch

United Kingdom
108 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2015 :  07:35:13  Show Profile
I did say 'as far as I know'.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked