Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 Jerry Goguen's M type
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ian Grace

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2021 :  23:21:38  Show Profile
The transmission handbrake was deleted from Minor chassis from 17th October 1930. It is possible, but I'm not sure that M.G. deleted it before Morris Motors as they presumably shared a common source of supply. Do we have anything definitive that it had been deleted from the M Type before this date?
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3051 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2021 :  11:55:56  Show Profile
From surviving examples and period photographs it certainly looks like the transmission brake finished on 23rd September 1929 with a batch of five chassis that day numbered 2M 0742 through to 2M 0746. This is generally accepted as the point when production began the move to Abingdon.

Three more 1929 cars were registered. There was -
2M 0747 registered on 5th December 1929, (pictured below)
2M 0748 registered 30th November 1929
2M 0749 registered on 5th December 1929.

The circumstantial evidence suggests something special about these last three 1929 cars. The surviving example above has no sign of a transmission brake.

It seems very unlikely that any M-type with a chassis number higher than 2M 0749 has a factory fitted transmission brake. But perhaps someone knows better?

Sam
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3051 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2021 :  12:23:54  Show Profile

By the way, since Jerry Goguen's M-type was apparently shipped to the USA as a result of the Wall Street Crash (September 4 – November 13, 1929), with "6000 miles or less" from new and it clearly has no transmission brake, it makes the chassis number particularly interesting.

Could this be 2M 0748 registered 30th November 1929 ?

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
752 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2021 :  18:35:27  Show Profile
Does anyone know when the last M type was built at Edmund Road and which car it was and when the first car was built at Abingdon and which one that was?

John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 22/03/2021 18:36:45
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
651 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2021 :  21:05:15  Show Profile
It's slightly complicated, but here goes.

Production was progressing steadily at Edmund Road with about ten cars being built (i.e chassis laid down - not necessarily completed) every weekday up to Wednesday 18th September 1929. There was a short gap then until the following Monday - 23rd, when five cars were built - 2/M742 to 2/M746. However, many of these cars were not actually completed until December.

The next car, 2/M747 has the build date of 5th December 1929 and may possibly have been the first chassis laid down at the new Abingdon works. However, 2/M748 has the build date of 30th November 1929.

The new factory was officially opened on 20th January 1930. Chassis 2/M749 and 2/M750 also have the build date 5th December 1929.

Interestingly 2/M748 was green and 2/M751 was grey - the first M Types of these colours, all earlier cars having been either red or blue.

After these cars, no more chassis were laid down until New Year's Day. But here, things get even more confusing because all cars up to 2/M806 have build dates of either 1st January or 8th January, but not in ascending chassis number order. So I think we have to be careful with build dates as they relate to actual work on the production line.

So your car is undoubtedly an Oxford-built car, John.

Edited by - Ian Grace on 22/03/2021 21:05:39
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3051 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2021 :  11:49:40  Show Profile
"Interestingly 2/M748 was green and 2/M751 was grey - the first M Types of these colours, all earlier cars having been either red or blue."

There were some exceptions such as 2M 371, which although the factory apparently recorded it as 'blue' it was certainly black pre-war and the evidence it was always so is overwhelming.

Returning to Jerry Goguen's M type, has anyone any idea of what became of it?

The story as told on David Shelburne's MG Cars Channel implies the car arrived in the USA followed shortly after the Wall Street Crash of 1929 but it has the outward appearance (and dash) of an entirely Abingdon M-type.

Jerry says "If you ever want to see an original car this is it."

But the the interior is completely 'non standard,' there is no carpet, the floor is not standard and the fabric appears to have been replaced (notice how it is peeling off inside the boot). The black side valences are decidedly unusual.

If this really is a 1929 car and the story told is true it is a very interesting example and probably some kind of prototype. Otherwise, "If you ever want to see an original car" - look elsewhere.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 23/03/2021 11:54:09
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1709 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2021 :  12:18:21  Show Profile
I was introduced to Gerry Cougan in 1976 in Boston. I told him about my two Fs and he said "I have 13 of them"! I recall him to be very pleasant hospitable and jovial.

When we went to see his cars, I don't actually remember seeing any complete ones though memory does fade... the one that endured was a room/workshop full of chassis and bits.

The Americans had this worrying view of the Brits, they referred to an English rebuild, they don't even change the big end bolts... The shame of it I have done so ever since!

We looked over the USS Constitution, their equivalent of Victory (though smaller). They actually take her to sea! They are or were, similarly rude about how we looked after our historic ships. This is of course going to be an ongoing problem as sea levels rise...

The highlight of that trip though was to meet the qwidow of a deceased millionaire. She kept his memory alive by maintaining his collection of 12 veteran cars. I drove the Brush...

So it is possible that Gerry rebuilt the M or perhaps he obtained it after my visit. I have to say, two very original cars have turned up in the States recently, the red swept wing tourer and the yellow J2, though both had suffered some indignities over the years., Just maybe in those days they were keener on their engineering than their originality, after all we didn't know so much about originality in those days.

Cheers

P

Che
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
651 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2021 :  14:29:57  Show Profile
Out of interest for viewers of this thread is the 1991 MMM raid outside the Goguen home/museum
Allegedly the house was built out of the shipping containers that CKD cars arrived in to the US.
Missing is the other M-type which was having one of its periodic maladies

Edited by - tonym on 23/03/2021 14:31:31
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000