Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Website problems and suggestions
 Access to Profile page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gordon

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2018 :  11:36:16  Show Profile
Hi Nick,
The recent upgrade to mac operating systems is producing a problem for mac users using Safari as their browser. I quote the following from Apple:

If Safari warns you that a website isn't secure this is because, starting in iOS 11.3 and macOS 10.13.4, Safari shows a "Website Not Secure" warning in red in place of the url if a website that you're visiting isn't secure.

When you visit an encrypted website, Safari checks the site’s certificate and warns you if the certificate is expired or illegitimate. Now with iOS 11.3 and macOS 10.13.4, Safari also checks if a website that asks you to enter password or credit card information is not secure because it's unencrypted.
If Safari detects that the website is not secure, do not enter your information.

I don't know whether it is policy for the Triple M Register to upgrade the security of relevant pages to secure members details or whether it is policy to ensure all parts of the website are available for the different platforms and what the cost and other implications for the Register would be but I think mac users would appreciate it.

I would welcome any comments you might like to make.

best regards
Gordon

Gordon
ex owner of PB 0331, MG4473
Derby

Nick Feakes

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2018 :  14:01:19  Show Profile
Gordon
This is something we looked into a while ago. Most browsers now check to see if a site you are visiting is "secure" in other words its address begins with https instead of http. This system encrypts the messages to and from the site so that they cannot be read by a third party. Obviously for places where you input your bank details or credit card numbers this sort of security is necessary but for our site where we do not take any money and the posts you make are visible to the public anyway the extra not inconsiderable cost (setup cost + an annual charge) doesn't seem necessary.
The other part of this equation is ALWAYS check that any site you visit where you do input any sort of financial information starts with https: Any genuine financial institution or a place selling stuff will have that level of security.
Does that answer your concerns?
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2018 :  19:54:01  Show Profile
Hi Nick,
I understand your argument and accept this - BUT if you are using mac, iPhone or iPad with the current operating system version you are denied access to the Profile page. What is the workaround to enable access. I suspect that this problem will start to happen with other browsers shortly as it seems to be a general policy of the browsers to improve security.
Can one not get a free ssl certificate?

Gordon
Derby
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2018 :  21:58:15  Show Profile
Gordon
As I do not generally use a Mac I was not aware of the difficulty accessing the profile. There certainly are some free ssl processes out there, I will need to do some research first. The owners of the server would have to agree to install the certificate software which may prove to be a test of the real security of a given product. I will let you know.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
689 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2018 :  22:10:54  Show Profile
Nick
Many thanks for your comments. I look forward to your comments when you have completed your research.

Gordon
Derby
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000