Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Security of information in photo images
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nick Feakes

USA
3333 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2019 :  19:52:29  Show Profile
The Register's attention has been drawn to a potential security risk inherent in the use of electronically generated pictures and images.

Modern cameras and mobile devices (phones and i-Pads etc) have a facility whereby the date, time and place of a photo may become encoded into digital image files for the photos you take.
The effect of this is to reveal the location at which a photograph was taken, which carries a potential security risk, especially if it is taken at a residential or commercial address which might reveal the location of the car or parts.
In order to minimise this risk, it is recommended that you should attempt to switch off the location setting on your device before taking a photo that you intend to submit to the Register for use on the Register's website or in our database of cars.
Alternatively, it is also quite simple to remove personal information from pictures you have already taken. In almost any PC viewer click "File - Properties - Details", scroll down to find the blue link at the bottom, you can then tick the GPS boxes or other boxes to select what you want to remove.

The Register will be investigating the availability of proprietary software which can be used to screen all submitted photos and remove any location encoding that they may contain, but you can eliminate the risk yourself by the simple actions described.

So please don't be discouraged from sending the Register your pictures - indeed we welcome them - but do please be alert to the guidance given above.

Nick

Webmaster

Nick Feakes

USA
3333 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2019 :  19:56:36  Show Profile
I have checked all of the images on the "Cars for Sale" site and none of those contain any location information.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5987 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2019 :  17:15:59  Show Profile
For those using iOS devices this free app will allow you to edit, or remove completely, the EXIF data from any pictures you might wish to upload - https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/exif-metadata/id1455197364

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1949 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2019 :  19:16:32  Show Profile

Thanks Nick and Simon for all your information. Unfortunately, I would probably find it easier to converse with a Martian than begin to understand anything about computers ! I have absolutely no idea where or what to look for on my IPad so will have to trust to luck !

Cheers,

Chris
Go to Top of Page

John Brinkmann

USA
151 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2022 :  03:10:49  Show Profile
Simon's IOS link app is not offered in the US. What are the security options for us Yanks?

John.
J3752
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5987 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2022 :  07:10:00  Show Profile
John,
Open the photo on your iPad or iPhone and tap on the little circle with the letter 'i' in it. You can see that this photo was taken in Cambridge.

This brings up an information box showing the location data. Tap on the 'Adjust' button.

This allows you to edit or remove the location data and there is now no more reference to Cambridge

This capability was introduced with iOS 15. You can also turn off the location data for future photos by going to Settings>Privacy>Location Services>Camera

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 14/03/2022 07:19:13
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000