Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 M-type sump
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sam christie

United Kingdom
3041 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2019 :  17:44:02  Show Profile
I am placing this Parts Wanted ad on behalf of Barry Robinson who recently found his long lost M-type after 60 years of searching. Barry is very keen to find an aluminium sump to help complete his OHC engine as it would have been.

Although it currently has a special body Barry intends to gather all he can towards the day when his M-type can be fully restored as the Sportsman's Coupe it was when new.

Sam

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2019 :  10:00:50  Show Profile
I would have thought an aluminium sump was the least of Barry's wants! I really do admire his optimism and wish him all the very best in his quest. What an admirable gentleman -seasons greeting to him and all -Rich

Go to Top of Page

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2019 :  10:22:39  Show Profile
Sam and Forum:

What great story.!!
A sportsman coupe too.
Please post rebuild updates and photos .
Rare body type needs all the support club can offer.
All the best.

John Bakewell
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1940 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2019 :  10:49:54  Show Profile

Was the car in it’s original form as a Sportsman’s Coupe when Barry first had the car ?

Best of luck with your project, Barry !

Chris
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3041 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2019 :  12:22:03  Show Profile
This is how the car looked when Barry (too young to drive at the time) bought it in the 1950's.

The coupé body to the rear of the scuttle had been completely replaced long before Barry saw the car. The windscreen as it is now (apart from the crack) including the cast supports was Barry's work age 15 or 16.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 06/12/2019 12:23:44
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1940 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2019 :  17:06:55  Show Profile

Thanks for that, Sam.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1455 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2019 :  08:28:09  Show Profile
It looks like it still has the original coupe scuttle, front wings,bonnet, etc. Should make rebuilding a lot easier than starting from scratch.
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3041 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2019 :  22:36:37  Show Profile
You are correct Ian. Barry also has the original petrol tank which is slightly different from the familiar two seater version.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3041 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2020 :  21:57:54  Show Profile
Barry is still on the look out for a sump.

I believe Sports & Vintage had new ones some years ago but they are no longer listed.

Barry is still undaunted but he would like to get the M-type engine back in and running.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2020 :  12:29:17  Show Profile
what about a "morris" tin one as a stop gap?- Rich
Go to Top of Page

AFM781

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2020 :  13:51:03  Show Profile
Barry,

As and when you find a sump it is worth getting it degreased and vacuum impregnated with epoxy before fitting it.

I fitted what I thought to be a sound sump only to find that it slowly "oosed" oil through much of its base.

To cure this the outfit I used was Midland Impregnation, who do new modern castings as routine and can usually put a small one off item in when they are running a batch through providing rapid turn round time.
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3041 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2020 :  17:08:38  Show Profile
Good ideas thanks.

A tin sump would do 'pro tem' and changed to an aluminium sump (suitably treated) when one turns up.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

AFM781

United Kingdom
189 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2020 :  19:33:31  Show Profile
Barry,

Remember that the Minor tin sump has far less capacity than the M type, thus the oil will run a lot hotter.
Go to Top of Page

John Moore

United Kingdom
29 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2020 :  19:38:48  Show Profile
Sam,
Your original photo has the split pipe strainer which I was led to believe was J type sump. I have two sumps, one with the full length strainer and one with the split pipe. Which is correct M type?

John Moore
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1020 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2020 :  20:40:23  Show Profile
The deep sump is the M type one.
The flatter sump with full length strainer is J type.
If you are looking to part with both then Barry might want the deep one and I’d be interested in the J one

Onno "J,D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3041 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2020 :  21:05:34  Show Profile
John, the earlier version of the M-type sump has no interior support for the oil pipe. I believe the same pick up pipe was used in both cases except for the addition of the clip.

The J-sump (also used on the C-type and the D-type) is the example on the right below.

And again -

Sam
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000