Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Carb 1 5/8” SU
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Pots

United Kingdom
118 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2020 :  08:14:25  Show Profile
Does anyone have a 1 5/8” HV5 carburettor?? Getting desperate for one to finish a supercharger installation.... I believe the ‘modern’ HS6 may also do the job...?

(We have an HV5 on back order with Burlen so could return, swap etc..at some stage..)

All help much appreciated !!

Pots

Tore

Sweden
5 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2020 :  00:19:33  Show Profile
There is one HV5 carburettor on ebay.uk but the listing does not include the word HV5. You may find it expensive. I bought an identical Alvis carburettor from ebay many years ago and the old bronze body looks so good compared with more modern alloy bodies. Alvis used an angled float bowl so that have to be replaced but for a supercharged engine you will probably want to use a larger float bowl.

The HV5 is a rather rare carburettor since few cars had them as standard equipment. I use mine on my Invicta 12/90. This car has a PowerPlus supercharger and a 1.5 litre Blackburne engine.

I have also an HV5 carburettor from a Morris 25 and this carbs body is also in bronze but there are two small flanges added in the casting of this body compared with the Alvis version. I also remember that when I visited Burlen Ltd over 20 years ago they had some difficulties to get me a correct Steel Holding Up Bolt for a new larger fuel Bowl on this HV5 carb.

Tore, Sweden

Tore
Go to Top of Page

rustcollector

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2020 :  18:57:50  Show Profile
Tore,

If pots doesn’t want it, what is the carb on eBay listed as?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Tore

Sweden
5 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2020 :  22:35:16  Show Profile
Hi Rustcollector
You can search for the carb on ebay by item number 233373975398 or search for the title Vintage SU Carburettor HV Bronze Brass Vergaser

Tore
Go to Top of Page

Justin Heal

USA
177 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2020 :  22:47:27  Show Profile
not period correct but right size?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SU-1-3-4-Carburetor-Carb-Jaguar-Austin-Healey/303237197475?hash=item469a586ea3:g:xW0AAOSw0gFao~fB

and a lot less expensive and easier to service?
Go to Top of Page

rustcollector

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2020 :  14:13:55  Show Profile
Thanks , what is the bronze carb worth, is the price inflated or is this the going rate.
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1872 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2020 :  14:24:20  Show Profile
It has been on E-bay for many, many weeks. I personally think it over priced (I would have bought it by now otherwise.)

However price is very much dependant on what a buyer is prepared to pay; i.e. how much they really want something.
Go to Top of Page

rustcollector

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2020 :  19:14:29  Show Profile
Thanks Coracle,

So what price would you like to buy it for, half the asking price or even less than that?

I’ve noticed it would need a repair where the filter or trumpet would go.

I guess if they are rare and the last part needed for your project then it’s a seller’s market.
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1872 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2020 :  00:38:08  Show Profile
I would have bought: https://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=12699 but was not on-line at the right time. A fair price for a carb in much more certain condition.

It may be the last part for a project but one can fit an alternative (which is what I will do) until Burlen can supply or until a good second hand one comes along.
Go to Top of Page

robin

United Kingdom
177 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2020 :  13:29:42  Show Profile
I do not know your application.This might do you temporarily.A fraction over 1 1/2,buy or a loan

robin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000