Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Website problems and suggestions
 Web access and data security
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

David Scott

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2020 :  09:22:59  Show Profile
Yesterday, 2nd March at 8.15pm I posted 3 items for sale and had two contacts within the hour.
The first was from Jerome, a Dutch member wanting the petrol tap, with response via the Parts for Sale forum, as usual. Absolutely fine.

The second was directly to my BT e-Mail address from an ‘Edward Rhodes’ looking to buy the P type clutch release unit. This was an unexpected route so I checked our membership and could find no trace of that name.
My concern is that this person has contacted me apparently / possibly by accessing my personal details from the Subscribers records.
My reply to his enquiry was that “ the item was still for sale” but that since I could find no trace of him in our Register would he tell me something about himself.
So far, I have heard nothing further from him.
I am pleased to add that the Unit has been reserved for Peter L and Mr Rhodes has been advised that it has been sold.

That’s the history and my question is “should I or the Register be concerned?”

Regards
David

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2020 :  10:18:52  Show Profile
Good morning David and thank you for your posting.

I can give you the reassurance you seek. Edward Rhodes is a subscriber to the forum. His user identity is 'coupe'. If you or anybody else uses the Forum search facility to find a subscriber, by default it will only search in the username area unless you remember to tick the 'last name' or 'first name' box.

In case you're wondering how Edward was able to e-mail you directly, this is because your e-mail address is visible in your forum public profile. If you're not happy with that situation of course you are perfectly free to edit your profile to remove your e-mail address.

Happy to help!

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3339 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2020 :  12:16:04  Show Profile
Just to add an extra reassurance here, only subscribers who are logged in can access the "Subscribers" list, so if anyone has added their email address to the "My email address" it is not visible the the general public.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

David Scott

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2020 :  12:49:09  Show Profile
Thank you Dick and Nick for your reassurance and for “turning the light on”!
By way of further explanation for my concern, not only was the direct em from Edward Rhodes odd but the cruncher was that our address is.....wait for it......Edward Road.
Spent a fair bit of the evening thinking that we were in for the mother and father of all scams.
Thanks again, much relieved

David
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000