Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 P type on gas
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
345 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2020 :  01:27:44  Show Profile
As some may know I would dearly love to find MG3880 form a previous posting however the posting in General Information about "All electric Midget" prompted me to dig out these photos with the hope somebody can explain how my father made his gas conversion work.

My father in 1941 having rebuilt P1815 needed to supplement his meagre petrol ration to continue his courtship. He converted the M.G. to run on town gas from a cylinder strapped to the chassis behind the spare wheel. I do remember him telling me the car started on petrol and immediately gas was turned on and petrol off by a pair of taps. The gas being injected into the carburettors by fine pipes, all seems quite lethal but it worked. I do understand many cars ran on town gas from bags on the roof by simple gravity, what I wish I had asked father was how he compressed the gas into the cylinder.

Tony Verrill, Bamburgh, Northumberland

Father had a workshop fitted out with engineering machinery run on belts, pulleys and lay shaft powered by a gas engine, messing with gas never bothered him, I watched him many times testing for gas leaks with a lighted wax tapper.

Peggy Dunn (to become Verrill) Bamburgh

Peggy Dunn, Ullswater, Cumberland/Westmorland

I suspect there were articles in the wartime motoring press advising methods, any pointers would be very welcome.

Richard
PA1733 YA5206

Cooperman

United Kingdom
752 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2020 :  08:26:34  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Verrill

................. what I wish I had asked father was how he compressed the gas into the cylinder.

I know exactly what you mean, there are so many things that I now wish I had asked my dad, actually also my grandparents.

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1874 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2020 :  15:33:40  Show Profile
20 or so years ago, I converted a Rover V8 powered Landrover 110 to dual fuel: LPG & Petrol. It proved a successful conversion saving me 10p per mile over 100,000 miles. LPG is quite handy as it can be stored as a liquid at a comparatively low pressure; it is a low carbon fuel, burns with considerably reduced emissions over either petrol or diesel and has an octane rating of around 120.

The system was basic; a vaporising regulator, much like a diver's demand valve, fed low pressure gas through a simple vacuum controlled regulating device to holes in a venturi, upstream of the carburettors. The Stromberg carbs themselves were effectively disabled by cutting off the petrol and automatically raising the dash-pot pistons leaving them only to perform the butterfly throttle function.

I believe in the case of Coal Gas, it was usual to store it at a low pressure; hence the great big bags seen in photo's on top of vehicles. I can't see how one could get much coal gas into the cylinder on the back of the P in the photo, even under pressure as it does not liquefy conveniently like LPG. I suspect it was probably filled at the mains pressure which could have been augmented by the inclusion of an externally accessible inflatable tube or balloon inside the cylinder to compensate for the pressure drop as the cylinder emptied.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000