Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Higher Resolution version of an F Magna Picture ?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2020 :  18:25:28  Show Profile
I am looking for a much higher resolution version of this F Magna picture.

I am trying to see the windscreen much more clearly but enlarging this image the information is just not there

As seen on another thread I am trying to find out how precisely the vacuum pipe was secured but the image above is just not clear enough.

Sam

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2020 :  08:07:01  Show Profile
Sam and Forum:

As you are not overwhelmed with offers try the Dutch MMM site while your waiting.https://www.mgmmm.com/.
All the best.

John Bakewell

Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2020 :  09:03:49  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestion John. I have just sent a request for help to the Dutch Triple M site.

It was once possible to purchase photographic prints from the Library. The detail they contained was stunning.

This is an example I often refer to. First the full print -

Then part of the print. Note the arrow.

This is the detail arrowed .

It is possible to count the number of layers of ply in the groove in the floorboard.

This is a 'detail' from the top picture enlarged to nothing like the extent of the example above. It represents the top right corner of the windscreen.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 21/03/2020 09:16:49
Go to Top of Page

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2020 :  09:37:32  Show Profile
Sam and Forum:

The period photos are so mesmerizing . Full of detail.
If your illustration taken from the technical point; possible a new modern photography would be more what your looking for.

If you explained the object and required result the owners with the cars and a modern camera might be the way forward.
Still can't get over factory photographs.
Is there a book or website with them available?
All the best.

John Bakewell
Go to Top of Page

Library

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2020 :  10:04:57  Show Profile
The prints were taken from glass negatives way back. I still have a few prints that I was going to take to MG Live for people to buy. They used to be available to purchase online, but then people would put them online so the company producing to order did not get sales.

One day it might be possible to produce higher res copies.

For now Sam, looking at the copy I have of that print approx 8x5", you have as much detail as is available.

Triple-M Register Library
http://www.triple-mshop.org/
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2020 :  11:04:26  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by JCB

Sam and Forum:

The period photos are so mesmerizing . Full of detail.
If your illustration taken from the technical point; possible a new modern photography would be more what your looking for.

If you explained the object and required result the owners with the cars and a modern camera might be the way forward.
Still can't get over factory photographs.
Is there a book or website with them available?
All the best.

John Bakewell

Mike Allison's books 'The Magic of MG' and 'The Magic of the Marque' contain many of the factory pics but I can't say if the quality is better than you have already. They are similar, the 'Marque' an updated version of the first - I prefer the older book, because I am a bit old fashioned myself, and I think it is slightly better quality. There happens to be a copy on eBay a the moment for £5 plus post - no connection with the seller. I should mention that there is only about seven hours to go in the auction, and of course it will now leap up in price...

Regards,
Graham

Edited by - MaGic_GV on 21/03/2020 11:09:13
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2020 :  12:43:11  Show Profile
I am trying to find out how precisely the vacuum pipe was secured.

John, the problem with looking at cars today is that they are nearly 90 years old and for many decades owners did whatever was expedient to keep them going. I am sure we have all heard and groaned at comments like "that was how it was when I bought it in 1993 so it must be original..."or "...oh well it doesn't matter so long as we get out and enjoy them..."

Some fixes from years ago, when 'originality' was not a primary concern, were done so well that they look original today and add to the confusion. The bodges are easier to spot.

Graham, unfortunately 'The Magic of MG' does not include a picture from an angle which helps me. The picture quality in 'The Magic of MG' is very good for a printed book but this D-type windscreen detail shows the limits .

This detail above is from page 68 of my old copy of 'The Magic of MG'.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 21/03/2020 12:48:43
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000