Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Home isolation
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tony Dolton

United Kingdom
366 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2020 :  18:38:04  Show Profile
An interesting problem for those of us who are old enough to be facing home isolation.what do we do do to avoid serious boredom.
I’ve set myself a project. Over the last 50 yrs , I have rebuilt,restored, constructed 14 MMM MG’s, so I’m going to write a manual based on my experiences,difficulties,successes, etc, my version of a MMM workshop manual, just for my own enjoyment.
I will pass the hand written info to my son,Mark ,.
He can decide what to do with it.
Anyone else got some interesting ideas for the next twelve weeks?
Keep well everyone.Tony

colintf

United Kingdom
1480 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2020 :  20:28:40  Show Profile
That's a fantastic idea Tony. No doubt a lot of us could learn from that :)

Colin Murrell
D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

guitarrero

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2020 :  21:08:27  Show Profile
Put me down for a copy please Tony .... the way things are going, it looks like you'll have plenty of time to write it !!!

I shall be in my workshop, busy making classical guitars ...

All the best!

Steve Rees
North Cotswolds, UK

Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
752 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2020 :  22:31:14  Show Profile
I've set myself to clear out and tidy both my office and the motorshed. And of course get my M type on the road.

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2020 :  07:44:25  Show Profile
Can I please join the list of tho9se waiting for the Dolton Manual.

For me, work in a secluded office, keeping the business above water.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1480 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2020 :  08:33:37  Show Profile
Tony, you could well have a best seller on your hands :) :) :)

Colin Murrell
D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2020 :  08:42:49  Show Profile
Hello folks,

A while ago the Register was asked whether we might follow the example of the Lagonda fraternity. They have published what amounts to a Haynes Manual for their various models.

Triple-M cars are by their nature more varied than, say, Lagondas, but nevertheless the idea has great merit. The committee has successively picked up - and 'parked' the suggestion for various reasons:
Complexity; the need for reliable and dependable information; the fact that much worthwhile info has already been published in Register publications, on this forum, on the mmm.com Dutch website, in the Barry Walker detailed catalogue (now available through the MG Automobile Company's website) and suchlike.

Tony's initiative is nevertheless most welcome and it revives the thought that we should be trying to find some way of drawing all this info together for the general benefit of Members. Suggestions about a) whether and if so b) how to approach this opportunity would be welcomed!

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1949 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2020 :  09:07:10  Show Profile
Tentatively !

What would be interesting would be member’s own experiences of building or restoring our cars and not necessarily based on ‘ reliable or dependable ‘ information. As Dick points out, a large amount of scholarly technical articles and books have already been published on the subject.

These experiences do not have to be extensive to be of interest although welcome. Mere snippets, I’m sure, could be entertaining !

I was thinking this Forum could be the place to record some of these experiences which taken as a whole must be pretty enormous.

What do others think ?

Chris

Go to Top of Page

JDoe

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2020 :  09:58:16  Show Profile
I'm trying to teach myself how to use a lathe...
So far I'm just becoming proficient at snapping parting off tools (or should that be parting snapping off tools?)

Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3226 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2020 :  10:07:07  Show Profile
Great idea Tony, as Dick has mentioned the subject of drawing up a manual which would incorporate a lot of the superb material members have submitted over the years would be a very useful source of information/reference. I recall the Lagonda version was brought to the attention of the Committee a while age.

I would certainly put my name down for a copy and might be willing to assist in some way in producing the manual?

At my age, and after 6 rebuilds, I decided to tackle a 1/3rd scale traction engine! Being an amateur machinist I have found it to be quite a challenge. I have learnt it is better to measure 5 times before cutting/parting off!

George
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 21/03/2020 10:13:32
Go to Top of Page

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2020 :  10:10:49  Show Profile
Tony and Forum:

I too would like a copy of this workshop manual/ website .
Haynes/Blower look alike.?

Would a coalition of the willing combined with crowd funding and a gentle hands on approach be a working talking point?
All the best.

John Bakewell
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1949 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2020 :  11:49:19  Show Profile

Hello, Andrew.

Parting off on the lathe can be tricky even for professionals so don’t despair !
It is particularly important to grind the cutting tool with adequate side and top clearance ( angles ) also put an angle on the front of the tool. Set the tool accurately for centre height and reduce the overhang of the tool to a minimum. Also, try to set the workpiece as close to the Chuck as possible, and select the ideal speed for the job in hand. ( You probably know all this anyway !) When turning, wind the tool in gradually and if any difficulty is experienced be ready to back off and apply gradually again. Patience is the watchword. You can also move the tool slightly sideways to help with side clearance as the machine is turning. Trial and error helps.
Best of luck.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Tony Dolton

United Kingdom
366 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2020 :  17:18:13  Show Profile
I do have a tatty old Myford 7 lathe, but I’m self taught, common sense and trial and error. I only do the simple jobs, a very useful tool.
My principle objective is to provide Mark with as much useful info as pos. I learnt from my mistakes and if I can help anyone avoid those it will be worthwhile. Although not a trained engineer (I’m an Industrial Chemist) I always worked in an engineering environment.,technical sales. It helped enormously to get help when needed from ex Vanwall engineers and one of the best tool rooms in the country.
Even so I’m very much an amateur, viewing our cars as grown up Meccano sets. It’s important to know when to stop and seek help from the professionals.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5984 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2020 :  18:03:07  Show Profile
By way of a taster of what we might hope for from Tony's planned opus, readers might be interested in a previous article of his in the 1985 Yearbook, Converting P and N Type Engines to Thin Wall Shell Bearings available here - https://www.triple-mregister.org/uploads/retro/MMMyb1985.pdf

Like everyone else, I’m looking forward to it.

In the meantime I have the 2019 Yearbook to get to the printers in ten days' time, and then the J2 rear axle to reassemble. So enough to keep me going for a while at the rate I do things these days in the garage.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Tony Dolton

United Kingdom
366 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2020 :  21:39:02  Show Profile
Good heavens Simon, I’d forgotten all about that, seemed a good idea at the time. The only person I know who followed me was John Adams with his Centric blown P type.
It soon became apparent that the presized camshaft bushes would become obsolete, so with Andrew Kirby’s help we came up with a design for new cranks that utilised shell bearings for all mains .This required assembly jigs for inserting twin shells into the front and main bearing housings. Both our P types have such an assembly.
However following discussions with Bob Jones we agreed the procedure was unnecessary for P and N engines due to the large main bearing area . Even with high boosts it’s difficult to see how the fatigue strength of cast white metal would be exceeded so long as bearing wall thickness remained modest. Given most engine builders were using Phoenix cranks by then with good filtration systems dirt should not be a problem.
Cast white metal has real advantages, very good embeddability, and good conformability. But the real benefit is that the final operation is line boring which removes any potential alignment problems.
So my advice now is find a good whitemetal caster, keep it original and just use shells for the rod bearings. Tony
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5984 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2020 :  21:43:20  Show Profile
Tony,
I remember being fascinated by your article at the time although it had no applicability to my J2 engine which was still a pile of bits at that time (and for another 25 years!). So looking forward to the next episode!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000