Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 Any ideas as to what this might be?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6000 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2020 :  19:25:03  Show Profile
I was sent which this picture which has, I believe, a Triple-M connection. Anyone any guesses as to what it might be? (I've obscured the registration number lest someone look it up on the DVLA website!)

Simon J
J3437

Phil Standish

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2020 :  20:26:54  Show Profile
Ac 16/80?
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2020 :  20:37:13  Show Profile
An H.R.G.?

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6000 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2020 :  21:52:57  Show Profile
Well spotted, Sam. And the Triple-M connection, apparently?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Peter Croft

New Zealand
52 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2020 :  09:40:06  Show Profile
Hello Simon,

The car is definetly an HRG, and I am almost sure its the other Mayfair bodied car, that is, not the one in the attached photos.

Peter and J3096

Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1711 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2020 :  10:21:01  Show Profile
Quiz car, MMM connection? looks like a J2 windscreen to me...
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6000 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2020 :  11:06:19  Show Profile
Here’s the car showing its original registration number. The keen eyed amongst you will recognise it as a County Fermanagh car. It was bought originally by John Talbot-Frith as a chassis only (although perhaps with its front wings and a few other bits) and was fitted with a body from an M.G., perhaps one that had been crashed or perhaps turned into a racer. From the rear it certainly has the look of an N Type and the screen would be consistent with that. The car remains in Northern Ireland but has apparently been fitted with a standard two-seater HRG style body. I don’t know what became of the original body but will pursue the matter further. The picture was taken when Talbot-Frith was competing in the 1949 Circuit of Ireland Rally. He lost marks after a wing stay broke and he had to carry the wing strapped to the back of the car!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Peter Croft

New Zealand
52 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2020 :  04:44:24  Show Profile
Hello again Simon

I did know that, and I am annoyed that I did not spot it.

Photo of my car (on the left) with another local.

Peter and J3096

Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6000 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2020 :  06:57:42  Show Profile
Nice cars, Peter. Apparently the Bolton-Frith car was rebuilt here in Norn Iron in the mid-70s at which time the M.G. body was removed. I’m making enquiries to see if it survives in a dark corner somewhere although I’m not holding out much hope as I gather it was pretty far gone.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6000 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2020 :  13:57:00  Show Profile
Well, I got an email late last night from a fellow J2 owner who actually acquired the M.G. body from the HRG in the 1970s! He passed it on to a neighbour who was rebuilding a TB but it wasn’t used and got broken up when the shed it was being stored in got demolished. Apparently John Talbot-Frith got the body from Hammy Harkness, a well know vintage car hoarder over here, and took it to HRG where their head fitter fitted it after hours.

While the fate of an old body isn’t of that great significance, it’s nice nonetheless to find out how an HRG came to have what looks to have been an N Type body and what happened to it. But it does illustrate quite nicely how 'original' isn’t always what it seems to be. The HRG would actually be much more original had its M.G. body been refurbished and kept but then it wouldn’t look 'original'. Sounds familiar.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000