Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Upper Cylinder Lubricant.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Maury

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2020 :  09:16:54  Show Profile
This is my first time posting on this forum. In the past I have owned a J1 and an ND [NA0360] and I currently own a WA drophead and an MGA.

My son, Phil Standish, recently bought a J2 and he's left it with me to get running. The car was taken off the road about ten years ago and all the fluids were drained. I am wondering whether or not I should put some sort of thin oil into the tops of the bores to lubricate the piston rings for a while before trying to start the car, and I am looking for advice as to the type of oil to use. Would three in one oil be any good for this?

Thanks in advance.

Maurice Standish

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1479 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2020 :  10:48:59  Show Profile
Very wise Maurice, but I would have thought that whatever engine oil you intend to use would be sufficient to penetrate the dark recesses of the valve gear and bores. I use Morris Oils Classic 20/50 specially formulated for pre-war engines and a teaspoon full of oil dribbled into the sparking plug holes and left for a week should suffice. Also remove the rocker cover and splash plenty of oil all over the camshaft drive gears and rockers. Then before you replace the sparking plugs, turn the engine over with the starter motor until the oil pressure comes up on the pressure gauge. I did all this to my PA engine yesterday and it started without difficulty after standing idle for six months. Lovely to hear its voice again after such a long sleep.

Incidentally, did you ever do much research on NA0360 when you owned it ? I see from the latest Register that it is still around but now living in Germany and said to be the ex Freddie Thatcher trials car. The U.K. Reg Number should have been JB4161. Even more interestingly, it is also believed to have been one of a team of three NDs (JB4160, JB4161 and JB4162) used possibly informally by Works Drivers Lewis Welch, Fred Kindell and Sam Nash who came to be referred to at Abingdon as "The Three Musketeers" and this was long before the official Three Musketeer Team came into existence. If you have any other information about the car including who you bought it from (and when) and similar details when it was sold, I am sure that George Eagle who is Registrar for the N Series, would very much like to hear from you.

Colin B.

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 06/05/2020 10:52:01
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3226 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2020 :  12:08:25  Show Profile
Hello Maurice

Welcome to the Forum, you have certainly come to the right place for information on all matters Triple-M.

Colin has provided sound advice - I use Valvoline Racing VR1 20/50W in my car which is supercharged.

I would appreciate any information you may have on your old ND (NA0360). My contact details are on this web site.

George
Registrar F/L/N types.
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
864 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2020 :  14:14:15  Show Profile
Here we have a photo of NA0360 from "The Sports Car" Jan 1936

Go to Top of Page

Maury

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2020 :  09:23:16  Show Profile
Thanks for the information - I'll use my usual 20/50 oil in the bores as well as the sump.

I bought the ND [JB 4161] in 1972 from a chap called Jim Flint who had recently moved from the south to Ponteland near Newcastle Airport, and we kept it until 1977 when I sold it to [I think] a Dutch guy called Frank Bousema. A the time we bought the car it was in good running order, but it had cycle wings at the front although the original swept wings came with the car, which I refitted along with some newly made running boards. It also had hydraulic brakes, which I kept, but again the original cable brakes came with the car [and also were sold with it]. No original seats were fitted, so I had some decent copies made and upholstered in brown leather. We had two small children in 1972 and they sat on a pair of cushions over the battery access hatch in the back until they got to be too big, so we sold the car and bought a VA tourer. At the time it was the right thing to do, but I have really regretted it since!

I knew the car was an ND and that it had been owned by Freddie Thatcher, and I later discovered that it was the spare car for the Musketeers, but I didn't know much beyond that. I have some photo's tucked away and I'll post them when I eventually find them.

Maurice.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1479 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2020 :  10:08:45  Show Profile
Thanks Maurice. That is very interesting and I am sure that George has added the info to the Register file. I was wrong in my posting in saying that the car now lives in Germany. I now see that it is The Netherlands - but the current owner is not Mr Bousema.

Thanks also to Gerhard for the super photograph of the car at the foot of Mill Lane. I walked the hill a few years ago, and although it was classified at the time as a BOAT (a by-way open to all traffic, it was so washed out that even an army tank would have had difficulty in getting up it.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Maury

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2020 :  17:37:56  Show Profile
Hi Colin,

I no longer have the files I kept when I owned NA0360, but I have a faint memory that I wrote to you in period and you said that you'd been up to see the car when it was owned by Jim Flint. It may not have been you and,
if not, apologies.

Hearing from Gerhard reminded me of our trips to Hausach in 1976 & 79 to meetings in the orchard of his house. We have fond memories of those trips, and as we were returning from the MG Event of the Year in 2018 in Switzerland in the WA, we diverted to Hausach thinking we would maybe meet up with Gerhard , but there he was gone. Assuming we were looking in the right place, there seemed to be new houses being built on the site of the orchard!

Maurice.
Go to Top of Page

Phil Standish

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2020 :  18:23:25  Show Profile
I believe that NA0360 resides in the Netherlands and belongs to Hein Breens
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
864 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2020 :  11:16:29  Show Profile
quote:
thinking we would maybe meet up with Gerhard , but there he was gone. Maurice.

Hello Maurice,
although nearing the octogenarian, I'm still at the same place, but now in one of the new houses at the end of the orchard,
and always looking forward to seeing any MG friend on his way crossing the Black-Forest !
Gerhard
Go to Top of Page

Maury

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2020 :  15:06:42  Show Profile
Hi Gerhard,

I wish we had known that at the time! I'll be 76 this year so not too far behind you.

As a matter of interest, my wife has just reminded me that the person I sold the ND to was Frank BOXMEER - Frank Bousema is somebody else entirely.

Maurice.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
345 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2020 :  00:59:09  Show Profile
A couple of photos while the ND was in Maurice’s hands, the first on the Beamish Reliability Run 1976, the second at an event in the playing fields to the School for the Deaf , Jesmond, Newcastle upon Tyne, Maurice being presented with a prize, his family watching on. Happy days.

Go to Top of Page

Maury

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2020 :  09:16:41  Show Profile
Hi Richard,

Many thanks for posting the photo's, that saves me having to trawl through boxes of my own pictures! Happy days indeed.

Maurice.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2020 :  17:06:37  Show Profile
Hello Maurice,
I have sent you an email re the photos of JB4161. I include copies with this post, no doubt qyou will comment on them.
Malcolm
Sorry they are upside down (again)

Edited by - mgmog on 10/05/2020 17:39:10
Go to Top of Page

Maury

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2020 :  18:40:03  Show Profile
Hi Malcolm,

I've replied to your personal email, and I have to say it's good to hear from you. Phil thoroughly enjoyed the Welsh trip with you in your ND, and I'm looking forward to meeting up with you when the lockdown is over & it's safe to do so.

The first two photo's were taken just after I'd refitted the swept wings, had a new hood & sidescreens fitted and had the car painted in brown & cream, although at the time I hadn't appreciated that the bonnet top should also have been brown. The third picture was pretty much as I bought it. They were also taken at our last house, a converted barn.

Maurice.
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3226 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2020 :  10:17:46  Show Profile
Pictures have been posted to the web site for the car.

George
Registrar F/L/N types.
Go to Top of Page

PMark

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2020 :  04:13:04  Show Profile
VERY NICE
on the topic of oil the 3in1 would be good and penetrating, wd40 is good too also combustable. 2stroke oil in gas would be excellent as well. if u can rotate it 1" back and forth the ring will go up and down in their grooves. what do you see on the dip stick? goo, grease or oil if it a little to tacky a quart of diesel is hi detergent very cleansing you can even run it gently until it warm then change hope this helps, good old daddy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000