Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PA of sorts
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2020 :  09:07:34  Show Profile
What is known of this?

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1159598?utm_source=car%20and%20classic%20newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly%20digest

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2020 :  09:47:40  Show Profile
Ian, it's anyone's guess! The rather scruffy FIA papers suggest a chassis number of PA0909 yet the ad describes it as TA0909.

PA0909 (with correct knuckle!) looks like this:

and resides in Norfolk.

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2020 :  10:23:42  Show Profile
Hence my raised eyebrow !

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3228 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2020 :  10:33:11  Show Profile
I recall Ray Masters used to race a single seat P type that looks very much like the car advertised but I doubt this is the car!

I also think Ray's car might have had a genuine Q engine.

George
L2023

Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1480 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2020 :  10:41:22  Show Profile
Before we write this one off as yet another TQ or P Bitsa, there just might be a bit more to this than first appears. I am sure that about two years ago it was up for sale by a Swiss or Italian dealer but no one seemed to be interested. If it is the same car, I think that Karl Weissmann looked into the matter, but unfortunately just at the moment I have not been able to find the correspondence. If it is the sane car, it just might have an original Q Type engine. For £76,000 I reckon it would make a super little track car. I also like the reference to the "Volumetric" compressor. I was told some years ago that Volumex blowers, although made in Italy, used Imperial measurements. Probably a good example of fake news perhaps.

Colin B.

Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2020 :  10:55:36  Show Profile
Yes, this is the single seater that l had but VERY different from when l owned it . I think the chassis may be the same with De Dion rear axle fitted but not sure . The body is certainly different and probably the engine , blower(s) etc.
Based on a PA chassis which the late Mike Hawke came up with the chassis number PA0881 for . Where he got that from l never found out , regrettably he died before l could ask him.
It has been for sale in Italy for a few years now l believe.
See the 2001 Yearbook for the car when l owned it.

Edited by - Ray Masters on 14/05/2020 11:06:04
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
910 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2020 :  11:12:49  Show Profile
Others beat me to it - but it certainly looks like Rays old car. I have some pictures of it from when it first appeared one year at Wiscombe as a look-alike R Type having lost the lovely 250F style body from it's original creation (as a 500 wasn't it Ray?). I also have a feeling the Q Block etc was no longer there by then either.

JH
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2020 :  12:01:34  Show Profile
Hi Jeremy. You are right , the original 250F style body was when it ran as a 500cc car and also when l raced it. It was rebodied some while after l sold it.
Do you , by any chance , have any record amongst your Dad’s papers of where he says the chassis number was PA0881 ?. I regret never having spoken to him about it and seeing that the car was originally constructed in about 1949 ,when there was not the same recording of numbers l am very curious as to how he arrived at 0881 .
Ray.
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2020 :  12:04:33  Show Profile
I believe the body was modified at the behest of another club because the 250f body did not look old enough. Fake history if ever I saw it! But I like it anyway...

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1872 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2020 :  13:00:45  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Butchers

I also like the reference to the "Volumetric" compressor. I was told some years ago that Volumex blowers, although made in Italy, used Imperial measurements. Probably a good example of fake news perhaps. Colin B.

If you study photo 6 of the set you can just see the blower. It might be a Volumetrico rather than Volumex; see photos below.

Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
910 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2020 :  15:45:12  Show Profile
Ray,
Access to Dad's "store room" isn't possible right now but I'll have a good look when I'm allowed back into the house (good job the garage is detached)!
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2020 :  16:51:29  Show Profile
Thanks Jeremy. My email address is : barray@talktalk.net . Will you please send any info you find to me direct by email . Rather not clog up the forum . Thanks , Ray
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1027 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2020 :  17:20:18  Show Profile
Some forum lurkers might by very interested if these things clog up the forum......

Onno "J,D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

John Hunting

Australia
85 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2020 :  07:40:37  Show Profile
This car offered to me by Barry Walker in the early 1980's , said to have genuine R or Q engine , rear of chassis is still MG .Wasn't cheap ,couldn't afford it .

Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2020 :  08:23:05  Show Profile
Looking closely at the photos in the advert l would say the chassis / axles are little changed from Geoff Monk’s design . The de Dion rear axle (tube) is clearly shown in John’s photo . The rear spring trunnion tube had to be lengthened for the new axle design and the original radius rods are shown .
I would say that when Barry offered it to you , John , in the early 80s it did have a genuine Q type engine . What it has now l don’t know.

Onno. No secrets. If Jeremy comes up with anything l will put something on the forum for history’s sake .

Edited by - Ray Masters on 16/05/2020 17:17:44
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1480 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2020 :  11:19:06  Show Profile
Hello Nigel. As you can probably guess, I have never come across a Volumetrico supercharger. Can you tell me more ? It looks like a heavy old beast. Would it be a screw type industrial compressor ?

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000