Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PA of sorts
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

coracle

United Kingdom
1850 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2020 :  13:03:06  Show Profile
Colin, I also had not come across a Volumetrico until I picked up on the name in Foz's September 2019 posting within the thread:
https://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=16524&whichpage=1&SearchTerms=volumetrico

This I imagined as a big Volumex so I did a little digging and it seems not.

I came up with one for sale on Ebay in Italy: https://www.ebay.it/itm/124073421921

Looking at the fin number and pattern the glimpse under the bonnet of the car of the blower seems to look more like a canted over volumetrico than a volumex.

I know nothing more than Google searches and Foz's postings reveal. Certainly the EBay ad does indicate it to be a screw type.

Edited by - coracle on 16/05/2020 13:05:03
Go to Top of Page

NeilF

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2020 :  22:48:29  Show Profile
The supercharger offered in the Italian Ebay is marked Eaton, a US manufacturer of superchargers, and engineered to fit the Nissan Note 1.2 or 1.6 liter as a factory option. UK Ebay offers similar superchargers at around £300 each. Steve Baker sells the Eaton M45 supercharger engineered to fit XPAG T Types. Volumetrico translates to 'volumetric' or 'related to volume'. Google doesn't identify volumetrico as a manufacturer of superchargers, maybe it's just fake news trading on the reputation of Volumex. Whatever it isn't period correct for a MMM car.
Neil
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1475 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2020 :  10:19:59  Show Profile
Thanks Neil and Nigel. I missed out on Foz's comments in the September posting although I read everything else he said. I think my last two functioning brain cells are now reaching saturation point - rather like my printer which is telling me "The ink absorber is now full". I think that I now have as much information as I need about the Volumetrico supercharger. Rather impressed with the going prices for these beasts, I must say. 300 Euros for a new blower !
Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1850 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2020 :  13:46:49  Show Profile

If any of our Italian contributors can clarify further it might be helpful. Perhaps volumetrico has the meaning of internal compression (so a vane type would also be one) rather than just an air pump as in a roots type.

Edited by - coracle on 17/05/2020 13:50:42
Go to Top of Page

Hamish McNinch

United Kingdom
108 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2020 :  22:09:22  Show Profile
Chaps,

You are barking up the wrong tree. The Volumetrico was, like the Volumex, a supercharger made by Abarth - in far smaller numbers - for the FIAT 131 Mirafiore. It is rather like a Volumex on steroids.

If you google 'Abarth Volumentico supercharger' and then select 'images', you will find some pictures eventually. I have one of a Volumex and a Volumetrico side by side but I have no idea how to post pictures.

Either way, a Volumetrico would, I suggest, give a 750 Q-Type engine a rather limited lifespan.....
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2020 :  08:25:17  Show Profile
You are right , Nigel , two stage blown using two Roots type J75 size blowers. Approx 28 psi as the original Zoller unit gave.
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1850 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2020 :  13:27:16  Show Profile
Ray, Many thanks for the confirmation; does it look like it has retained the 2 stage set up?

Hamish, It is only usually my wife that says I am barking.

Anyhow, many thanks; I have now managed to successfully google and view the elusive Volumetrico, which as I originally imagined and you have confirmed is a "pumped up" Volumex. It is also clear from the fin pattern that one is not currently fitted to the car in question.

I suppose the point is that we are barking up many trees and it is still possible that I may have been yapping at the right one but inadvertently in that the supercharger now fitted may be of a volumetrico (lower case v) configuration?

If it has retained the 2 stage roots configuration (which I doubt) then one might also describe that as volumetrico if the meaning is extended to encompass an internally compressive arrangement.

Do you know what the swept volume of a Volumetrico is? I believe a Volumex is 1.1 ltr.

Edited by - coracle on 18/05/2020 13:29:34
Go to Top of Page

mgmog

United Kingdom
458 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2020 :  10:05:44  Show Profile
Now for sale at "Windsorview " via Historics.

https://www.historics.co.uk/buying/auctions/2020-07-18/cars/ref-15-1934-mg-p-type-special-ebs/

This is a super pic.

Rich Stott
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3217 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2020 :  16:22:51  Show Profile
Ray -now is the chance to buy the car back and go racing again. #128526;

The PB in the background was hill climbed with great success by the late Colvin Gunn. It is still seen in action in the capable hands of James Gunn.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2020 :  17:20:53  Show Profile
George , Great idea ; the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak these days !. Ray.
Go to Top of Page

mgmog

United Kingdom
458 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2020 :  02:24:00  Show Profile
Again for sale.

https://www.prewarcar.com/314682-1934-mg-p-type-special-ascot-racecourse-12th-dec-2020-historics-auctioneers

Rich Stott
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3668 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2020 :  08:41:33  Show Profile
The Register has engaged with the auctioneer to advise them that this car's identity is misdescribed.

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3314 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2020 :  13:28:05  Show Profile
Hamish
Take a look at the FAQs (menu item underlined in blue, top right of the page). Have a read of "How do I add an image to a post" for guidance.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

mgmog

United Kingdom
458 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2020 :  10:34:31  Show Profile
Today PreWarCar.com has opened a debate it seems, regarding this car and a P type in auction.

QUOTE:
What’s going on with MG Triple Ms?

Last Summer we showed you a particularly nice MG P-type Special in our back-to-back series and compared it to a similarly nice 1934 J2 (click here if your memory is a bit rusty). These cars were estimated at #163;50,000 to 60,000 and #163;24,000 to 29,000 respectively.

Fast forward half a year and the PA-based Special is up for sale again, now estimated considerably lower at #163;30,000 to 40,000. Since we really liked the car this may come as a bit of a surprise? Yes, it’s not a road car and, yes, it’s not a genuine P-type single-seater (anyone here who ever saw one?). It is a car with genuine and honest racing history, though, which also harks back to the late 1940s. The PA was taken over by two gents known as Geoff Monk and Ray Masters at the time, who slowly but surely transformed the car into the P-type Racing Special. There are references in racing reports in a wide variety of magazines going back to 1964.

With shortened chassis, body made to kind of resemble Maserati’s 250F in dwarfed dimensions, modified suspension, brakes, steering and preselector gearbox plus blown engine it not only had the looks but did well, too. One racing driver who competed against it regularly, took it over in 1983 and continued development, now with Q-type engine. Other owners followed in the UK, Denmark, Germany and Italy. So what’s the catch? Well, it hasn’t been used for some 20 years now and will need full recommissioning, while FIA papers are out of date. But any real Triple M fan should know how to tackle this?

Oh - what’s more: there is an equally nice 1934 MG PA in the same sale, perhaps just as nice as the 1934 J2 of last Summer. That car seems ready to be enjoyed and is estimated at #163;18,000 to 23,000. Are MG’s Triple-M-models really in decline?

Words by Jeroen Booij. Pictures courtesy of Historics Auctioneers.

Published: Monday December 7th, 2020

END QUOTE:
https://www.prewarcar.com/what-s-going-on-with-mg-triple-ms

I do not know the date of the test or comparison, but would guess it may be in The Automobile.

Rich Stott
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1127 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2020 :  13:10:22  Show Profile
The car is a non runner, requiring serious work.
Think it was originally stated as running....my understanding is it’s a long way from that and the latest Auction notes and price seem to reflect it.

Expensive game restoring race cars , so hopefully this revised approach might allow someone to have some pennies left over to prep it.

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000