Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 F1475 Salonette
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Robert R

Austria
320 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2020 :  21:55:31  Show Profile
Picture between 1947 u. 1950. Here the rare Salonette has not yet been converted into a convertible. As far as I am informed there is a reconstruction. Maybe someone can tell the restoration status and has current pictures.
Source Bulletins Medlemstidskrift för the M.G. Car Club of Sweden anniversary number 2002_MG Salonette F1475

Robert (F1164)

chris Wallis

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2020 :  10:13:24  Show Profile
Hi Robert i believe this car is being restored by Carl-Gustav svanstrom in Sweden,the ash frame was made by Dave Cooksey and Steve Gilbert skinned it in ally.There are several pictures in members cars F type,i have been in contact with Carl because i am restoring a J1 salonette J0601 and i needed some information/reference regards sunroof the F&J both shared the same body frame.

Hope this helps your request regards Chris.

C L Wallis
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1971 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2020 :  10:29:54  Show Profile
Hello, Robert and Chris.

Good to see these salonettes being restored to their original form, such delightful cars.

I always regretted selling my F1 salonette many years ago.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Robert R

Austria
320 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2020 :  10:46:23  Show Profile
Hi chris², thanks for the replies.
The change was as seen in the two pictures. Front and back view. I don't know when the pictures for the F1475 were taken, but it has to be after 1960.
It's amazing how the conversion changed the F. You would not believe that this is a salonette.
Source: Bulletinen Medlemstidskrift för the M.G. Car Club of Sweden anniversary number 2002

Robert (F1164)
Go to Top of Page

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2020 :  19:31:49  Show Profile
The shape and design of the 2 photos suggests it may not be the same car surely. The unusual body looks to be a Continental, Tickford or special body!

Chris Blood
D-type Salonette D0407,
TC1472 TC2686 TC4245
Go to Top of Page

mgmog

United Kingdom
464 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2020 :  19:48:13  Show Profile
Looks like Td Wings used.

Rich Stott
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3230 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2020 :  19:49:32  Show Profile
Given the different Registration numbers I wonder if the photos are of two different cars?

George
Registrar F/L/N types.
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1031 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2020 :  19:50:56  Show Profile
I think it could be the same car but the conversion goes way further than just the top and rear.
Wider and differently shaped wings with running boards are also fitted.
Bonnet, windscreen and A pillars look exactly the same.

Interesting story at least

Onno "J,D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Robert R

Austria
320 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2020 :  21:50:30  Show Profile
Around 24 owners are noted.
Owners start on October 28, 1932 and the last owner around 1992. In between there are 22 other owners.
The license plate number A22229 has been registered since February 11, 1947 and by March 10, 1951 at the latest.
The license plate number AC18236 has been around since the 1960s.

Robert (F1164)
Go to Top of Page

Robert R

Austria
320 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2020 :  22:50:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by George Eagle

Given the different Registration numbers I wonder if the photos are of two different cars?

George
Registrar F/L/N types.

Hello George, I know you have a lot to do. I am all the more pleased that you answered. I have only posted some F / L / N pictures and information in the last few days. Many Triple-M have a long history abroad, where there are few records in England. The information is often questioned only because the information is not known. Nevertheless, I provide the knowledge and images to motivate those interested.
I would be happy if you save one or the other information with pictures.

The differentiated registration numbers:

In Austria, the license plate remains with the owner (not with the car). But there are also differences here.
In England the license plate remains with the car (not with the owner).
Things get more complicated in Norway:
The license number is changed with every change of car owner. In this system, the prefix letter indicated the county in which the new owner lived. There was always the letter for the city first, then up to 5 digits and always a hyphen between the prefix letter and the digits.
The only exception was Oslo in the late 50s and 60s, where "6 digits and no letters" were used. Simply because the combination of the letter "A" plus 5 digits was assumed.
The old Norwegian license plate system was changed on April 1st, 1971. After that date, a car's license plate was kept throughout its life as long as the vehicle tax was paid.

And in Sweden? I wasn't really concerned with that.
But the F1475 had the following registrations:
DG5418
A2406
D4390
B14117
A22229
B14819
Z5725
AC18236
Every registration has the exact date except for AC18236.
There are also 23 different license holders.

"Given the different Registration numbers I wonder if the photos are of two different cars?"
I understand that with the pictures. But the difference in registration numbers is even in England. I registered my F in England in 2016. But the car was not in England for a long time and the registration numbers JDxxxx were destroyed in England in the 1970s. So I also have two English registration numbers.

Robert (F1164)
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
651 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2020 :  15:06:17  Show Profile
As this thread has diverted to license plate minutia - can anybody {Cat] explain how the Dutch system works ??
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1031 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2020 :  17:33:05  Show Profile
Pre 1906 they just started with nr 1 and went up from there.
Number stayed with the car.
From then until 1951 us clogs had a regional plate system where the first letter indicated the province.
Number stayed with the owner
From then on we have a country wide system that stays with the car.
Up to 1978 they where blue with white letters.
Until 2000 we had simple yellow with black letters
From then on the plates where still yellow with black but had the blue side strip with country code on the side.

All cars from 1978 got the newest yellow plate.
Pre 1978 cars get a blue plate with white letters for the age related look. But they are from a specific sequence (for example starting AM) so you can always pick out the imports

Onno "J,D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000