Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 1934 pa windscreen
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jonhall88

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2020 :  22:55:51  Show Profile
ANY ONE KNOW OF AN OFF THE SHELF SUPPLIER OF A NEW SCREEN MINE HAS BADLY DELAMINATED AND LOOKS LIKE IT WAS A BADLY FITTING REPLAEMENT OR A MANUFACTURER WITH A GOOD PATTERN

jonathan hall

Tim Phelps

United Kingdom
166 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2020 :  12:51:13  Show Profile
Jon,
The windscreen on a PA is a flat piece of laminated glass. The most cost-effective solution is to take your current glass, if it is good as a template, to a glass company and ask them to cut you a replacement from laminated glass. If it is ill-fitting you can make a cardboard template from the screen frame and use that. I've done this in the past and it works well. You will of course be well advised to get some new glazing rubber strip which is available from all classic car spares providers.

You may find that the current glass appears to be badly-fitting because your current glazing rubber strip has perished and shrunk, but you'll need to take a view on this as you dismantle.

Hope this helps.
Tim
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1871 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2020 :  13:06:15  Show Profile
That is exactly what I did last time; it cost me just 35 quid plus a little time and pursuation at a local glass supplier.
Go to Top of Page

cryrnr

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2020 :  13:41:38  Show Profile
Jonathon - I see you are in Poole. If you can’t find anyone closer, New Milton glass (BH25 6DX so not too far) have in the past cut flat windscreen glass and aero-screens for me. It’s a while since I last used them but they have supplied both toughened and laminated to hardboard patterns I’ve provided. Regards, Neil
Go to Top of Page

Nick Dean

United Kingdom
436 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2020 :  17:35:32  Show Profile
Johnathon, I have just in the last 2 weeks have Dorset Glass on the Nuffield Ind estate, Poole, cut me a new PA windscreen , Laminated. Nick.

N A Dean
Go to Top of Page

jonhall88

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2020 :  20:37:15  Show Profile
Nick do you know if they took a template, the one that was in car is rough and the height differs by over an inch over the length, frame is being chromed along with everything else so cannot measure, I have new rubbers.
Always pays to think ahead, spinners for wheels are being done, wheels fell apart on blasting so new ones going on, unfortuantly mg is on stands and blocking my e type in so I cannot shift it, what a numpty, chromers said 6 to 8 weeks, that was 12 weeks ago !!!
Dorset glass just down the road so will be there Mon morning, thank you all for your help, anyone got any tatty unusable wheel spinners I can buy or borrow.

jonathan hall
Go to Top of Page

Nick Dean

United Kingdom
436 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2020 :  21:34:03  Show Profile
Jonhathon. I would wait till you get screen frame back from platers, then cut out plywood sample, making sure you have left room for the wiper motor spindles. I use Geocell black roof & gutter rubber, squeeze in frame, let glass in, squeeze along both sides holding glass central with matchsticks. Leave for a few days, till rubber has gone off, then with a stanley knife/blade trim both sides at an angle, clean off any leftover reubber with white spirit.Works & looks fine. good luck, Nick

N A Dean
Go to Top of Page

David Scott

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 14/07/2020 :  07:28:13  Show Profile
Morning John
Have mailed you directly re Spinners.
Regards
David
Go to Top of Page

jonhall88

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2020 :  12:05:17  Show Profile
Thank you all, I have now got the spinners.
Anyone local to me (POOLE DORSET) who has a pa with swept wings, I need to measure and photograph the front ends, mine are both damaged but repairable but shape on both of them are so bad cannot make out correct profile. I dont suppose that anyone knows of repair panel for these, not a major issue as I am pretty handy at sheet metal work and bending
ta all

jonathan hall
Go to Top of Page

Nick Dean

United Kingdom
436 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2020 :  15:52:52  Show Profile
I have a pair of swept wings for you to measure up etc. Nick. Ringwood.

N A Dean
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2020 :  13:12:30  Show Profile
I went down to the garage on Sunday and found a crack in the laminated glass.

This is a replacement screen that I put in about 20 years ago. It's 7mm or 0.275" thick.

It was a pig of a job to extract the glass, because it was held in place with a mixture of thin rubber sheet and the sort of mastic that Nick described above.

I have a dim recollection that the original glass was thinner - perhaps 1/4" - so I'm inclined to replace the cracked screeen with some 6mm or maybe 6.5mm if such is available.

ANy thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

TIA

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2020 :  18:33:17  Show Profile
Just a thought Jonathan, and I'm probably teaching you to suck eggs but, before fitting your new screen, do check the length of the Lift-the-Dot studs in the frame before fitting the glass.

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Roger Cadogan

United Kingdom
486 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2020 :  20:17:56  Show Profile
Dick, I have just measured an original windscreen from my PA and it is 1/4" thick so your memory has not delaminated!

The original glazing material was a sort of mastic tape that was semi non setting. The nearest material I have found to that is flat mastic type tape provided in a French Velux window re-glazing kit. Local enquiries failed to source it in France.

Roger

Edited by - Roger Cadogan on 28/10/2020 20:19:30
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2020 :  21:49:59  Show Profile
Thanks Roger

I can get a screen made up by a local glass shop in laminated glass 6.4mm thick overall. Mike Dowley sells rubberised tape that is 1.6mm thick, so the who lot comes in at 9.6mm which is a nice fit in the screen channel!

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000