Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Friday and Saturday weekend?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2020 :  18:29:07  Show Profile
A bit of an odd question for the grey brigade:

Could it be that back in the 1930s weekends were celebrated on Fridays and Saturdays instead of on Sats and Suns??? I can't really imagine plus I don't think two day weekends were 'invented' until much later anyway, but still, who knows? Asking for a friend .

Many thanks!

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5983 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2020 :  18:34:01  Show Profile
Hmmm ... were there 'weekends' in those far off days? I remember my dad going to the office on Saturday mornings in the 50s and 60s and I also had school on Saturday mornings (but a half day on Wednesdays). I imagine it would have been much the same in the 30s.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2020 :  18:42:10  Show Profile
As one of the grey brigade , Cat , l have never heard of a Friday / Saturday weekend .
In fact , back in the 1950s ,when l started work ,and later, the weekend started after lunch time on Saturday because most people worked until mid- day on Saturday .
Generally , people didn’t moan about working on a Saturday because it was the ‘norm’ and you just accepted it .
It would have been the same, I’m sure , in the 30s where they worked even longer hours .
Go to Top of Page

Rainier

Netherlands
158 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2020 :  19:55:32  Show Profile
Maybe a bit of a stretch, but adding religion the Jews have Friday afternoon and Saturday off... Could that be the answer?

Rainier
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2020 :  20:06:56  Show Profile
Not in this case, but thanks Rainier & it's as I thought then, thanks Grey Brigade !
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
751 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2020 :  21:02:31  Show Profile
Quite agree I worked until 12 noon on Saturdays in the 60's, but got a full days pay, in other words Saturday pay + 50%.

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

TCTom

USA
274 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2020 :  00:46:31  Show Profile
I’m in the camp of Violet Crowley, the dowager of Grantham. “What is a week-end?”

Tom Wilson
Zionsville, IN USA
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2020 :  08:20:13  Show Profile
Not only was Saturday a half day (for my faher anyway), but Sunday was very much a day of rest, some families would frown on any 'jollities' and church going was commonplace.

On this basis the week end was nothing worth noting and probably why Bank Holidays were so important.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Paracetamol

United Kingdom
90 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2020 :  17:31:31  Show Profile
I was a Dental Surgeon in those days long ageo, Saturday was a working day to 12 lunch time then of till Monday. Happy Days.
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2020 :  18:22:20  Show Profile
My own memory of school was similar to Simon's. However, sport was not allowed on Sunday in Britain, until after the Second War. And certainly not motor sport!
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2020 :  15:23:32  Show Profile
"However, sport was not allowed on Sunday in Britain, until after the Second War. And certainly not motor sport!"

That's what I was looking for; thank you, Mr President!
Go to Top of Page

rpaisley

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2020 :  21:17:11  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Cathelijne

"However, sport was not allowed on Sunday in Britain, until after the Second War. And certainly not motor sport!"

That's what I was looking for; thank you, Mr President!

Hi Cat and all Triple Mers,
It's nearly Friday so I hope it's ok to sneak in this topic as the topic about my car, J2192 (the buried one) called "Archaeology" has now been locked.
Progress has been good recently and the chassis has now been completely stripped and the major components dismantled. Today they have been taken to Neil Robinson of Oakbeck Forge near Appleby for blast cleaning. The pictures show the chassis, body irons, front axle, rear axle casing brake drums and backplates about to set off this morning. All questions are welcome and help with getting "Archaeology" unlocked would be appreciated.

Best wishes,

Rob Paisley
J2192

Rob Paisley
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1477 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2020 :  10:11:00  Show Profile
The car is looking good, Rob. Certainly a lot more promising than when it was first unearthed.

Best wishes,

Colin.
Go to Top of Page

rpaisley

United Kingdom
50 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2020 :  19:02:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Butchers

The car is looking good, Rob. Certainly a lot more promising than when it was first unearthed.

Best wishes,

Colin.

Thanks, Colin. That's very kind. I need all the encouragement I can get, and also an engine and gearbox!
Best wishes,
Rob

Rob Paisley
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000