Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Changing pairs of tyres
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2020 :  16:09:32  Show Profile
I have Blockley 4.00x19 on my PA and I am extremely happy with them. The rears having worn out, but the fronts having another couple of thousand miles left in them, I recently purchased two new tyres and put them on the rears to replace the worn ones.

Goodness me, what a change in handling! Really quite frightening, the car doing a good impression of a completely worn out and unpredictable steering box, sometimes understeer, then oversteer and even feeling unstable in a straight line.

Swapping the new tyres to the front completely restored the car back to the usual stability.

Hope I'm not teaching grannies to suck eggs.

Barny Creaser

(Wellingborough)

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2020 :  16:17:13  Show Profile
Barny and Forum:

Had radials and replaced with Blockeys.
The difference was nothing short of revolutionary.
Will now always pay great attention to tires and there condition.
Worth the extra cost.
All the best.

John Bakewell

Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
987 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2020 :  11:06:15  Show Profile
Radials on a Triple-M?

Colin

Crail, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1850 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2020 :  11:51:14  Show Profile
I agree with Colin, I don't think you would find a radial tyre that would fit a P.

That said, the reverse experience chimes. I once replaced a set of crossplys with radials on a Land Rover. The transformation was such that it changed a sailing ship into a railway train!
Go to Top of Page

PMark

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2020 :  05:25:49  Show Profile
VERY GOOD with the rails and sails mate no.1 have fun
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
751 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2020 :  11:34:31  Show Profile
I had a Mini back in the sixties, as most of us probably did, for a long time Michelin X were not available, when they did produce them to fit, it made wonderful road holding to something that felt it was comparable to a F1 car. Of course what was outstanding then is normal today.

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1623 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2020 :  12:06:15  Show Profile
One problem I have found with Blockleys is getting them to seat well on the rims. Yes I do know how to fit tyres but I have had this problem on two cars now. If you have a little run out on the rim and then add additional run out from the tyre the whole wheel wobbles badly. Moving the tyres around the rim to find the best compromise position is a pain and time consuming.
Took some wheels for repair on Friday and the man said he had had the same problem fitting some Blockleys to a Vintage Bentley and had to spend hours moving the tyres around to sort it as best he could.

TH
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000