Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 Mystery MG
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rapide

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2020 :  22:01:43  Show Profile
Did anyone else watch the documentary the other night about Captain "Winkle Brown" ?I noticed as he thumbed through his scrap book a photo of a triple m MG presumably belonging to him and being a bit of an anorak I scrawled the number on my left palm and as soon as the programme ended looked up the DVLC to see if it was registered to no avail. I thought no more which sadly tends to happen at that time of day had a cup of tea and dutifully scrubbed my hands for the prescribed min 20 secs . Interesting chap , reckoned to have flown every type of aircraft , the first Pilot to successfully land a jet on a carrier flown the lethal German rocket plane and interrogated Goering ,departing with the words "Hals und Beinbruch" to avoid shaking hands . Perhaps this pleasantry could well be adopted in the present climate!
So did anyone catch the number SS something or another ??

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2020 :  22:47:49  Show Profile
SS3746

photo to follow

12m 12s in https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x62isdi
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2020 :  22:51:53  Show Profile
Search Winkle on this Forum, remembering to select Archived Posts and you should get this - and more:

https://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=8260&SearchTerms=winkle

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2020 :  22:53:10  Show Profile

Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
752 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2020 :  13:11:19  Show Profile
A couple of years ago I was given Captain Eric "Winkle" Brown CBE DSC AFC RN autobiography called Wings on my Sleeve. The only mention of M.G. in it is on page 6, which the index says "MG Magnette - page 6" which tells of how on the outbreak of war he was living in Germany and on that first weekend he was woken up by a banging on his door by two SS men. He was told that they were at war, he taken away and one the men followed in The M.G. He was taken to the Swiss border and they told him "there you are. You are free to go. You can take your car with you" he asked why they were letting him take the car "because we have no spares". He then raced across France for the Channel ports.
I couldn't find any pictures of any M.G.

John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 20/09/2020 13:13:20
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
633 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2020 :  18:27:48  Show Profile
For those of you who haven't seen it (UK only, I'm afraid) you can watch it on i-player here:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b045pbq2/britains-greatest-pilot-the-extraordinary-story-of-captain-winkle-brown

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000