Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Thoughts on future Events and Tours
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Tim Luffingham

United Kingdom
342 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2020 :  19:52:48  Show Profile
Dear All,

I've recently been welcomed onto the Triple-M register committee and duly anointed with the title of Events and Tours coordinator (apprentice).  This year above all others has kept us, and our cars indoors rather than on the roads. Hoping there are better times ahead I've been encouraged to come up with some ideas. Nothing new,  though a couple are worth revisiting. I would welcome your feedback.

Breakfast meets. 
This has evolved from the pub natters of old. A monthly meet on a Saturday or Sunday morning perhaps in a garden centre coffee shop or similar. The hope is to collect the names and postcodes of those interested that will live within an hour or so of one another. Once established and with a group coordinator members can liaise amongst themselves on the venue and the day. Prospective Triple-M owners or friends with another marque may like to join in? 

Short European trips. 
Scenic Car Tours offer off the shelf tour packages. https://www.sceniccartours.com/ They will modify the route depending on whether it's a modern supercar doing 400 miles a day or a Triple-M travelling 100-120 miles. There are a few 4/5 day tours that jump out at me - The Atlantic Wall and D-Day Beaches. Loan Historique. Dutch Windmills and Waterways. Belgian Classic Rally are all possibilities. Rally books, ferry's, hotel recommendations and bookings are part of the service for groups of 5 or more cars. 
This is not meant to compete with our annual Triple-M Tour and I would expect to separate the two by 6 months.For those trailering their cars from afar to the Dover start point, I'm told the Mercure Hotel near Maidstone (35 miles from Dover) will store a car and trailer for the duration of the trip if the first night is spent with them. Scenic Car Tours offer a £50 discount for MGCC members. 

Hampton Court Palace, Concours of Elegance. Saturday 4th September 2021
https://concoursofelegance.co.uk/
We have managed to secure 20 places in the Club section for Saturday 4th September 2021.It’s a very relaxed day amongst some of the world's rarest and most exotic cars. Sometimes described as Ascot for cars;  the ladies and gentlemen tend to dress up. Our entries do not have to be Concours condition to partake though we have the option to put forward one concours car to be judged. The entry fee for car and driver is £50 plus £25 for a passenger which includes entry to the Palace itself. 
There is onsite parking for a tow car and trailer if need be. 

As stated at the beginning I would welcome feedback and a non-committal expression of interest on any of the above. 

Very best
Tim

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2020 :  20:21:20  Show Profile
Tim, I think this all sounds good.

I wonder if the breakfast events might, not necessarily always, but on occasion, be lengthened to include a run and perhaps lunch at a suitable pub? This is very similar to what is already done by various groups in the South East for general MGCC membership.

ATB,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2020 :  20:26:41  Show Profile
Some great ideas there Tim.
I've been on some of those organised tours. They are good, but at a price.
We could maybe also think of supporting some of the European MMM events. There's two great MMM Weekend events next year that spring to mind in the Netherlands and also Luxembourg. Both are fantastic events, with accomadation options ranging from camping to Hotels, to suit all pockets. Both events involve driving on at least two days. :)

I was extremely lucky to be following the ex Bira K3 around Holland for a while (it was in race trim, so throwing up what must of been 2-3m rooster tails in the wet :) ) an experience I'll never forget :)

Colin Murrell
PA0786 (D0285 previously)
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Edited by - colintf on 22/11/2020 20:36:48
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1709 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2020 :  20:33:53  Show Profile
I ran an arts centre years ago. Sunday Brunch was very popular. Breakfast has traction!

I hope the Kimber takes place next year. I would be happy to help!

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2020 :  21:44:15  Show Profile
Another thought...if we are racing at MGCC Brands next April, and if spectators are allowed how about an organised drive in and support the racing. :)

Colin Murrell
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5994 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2020 :  21:54:14  Show Profile
Tim,
Is there any merit in reviving the concept of Triple-M Centre Representatives to take the lead on the breakfast/brunch meets, and indeed on other things at a Centre/Regional level? Centre Reps used to exist years ago but were done away with during, I think, Peter Green's time as Chairman. I never could understand why as it seemed logical to me for the MGCC Centres to be the basis for local/regional activities undertaken by, or on behalf of, the Registers. I know from personal experience that some Centres don’t have much interest in Triple-M matters - the Ulster Centre had absolutely no interest in having any involvement in the 2016 Ulster Tour which I always thought was a pity - but there’s an established geographical Centre system that could surely be put to good use in offering some sort of structured activities for those of us who would welcome the camaraderie of Triple-M get togethers. Not everyone wants to go racing. Trouble is, over here in Norn Iron you’d be hard pressed to drum up more than four or five of our cars so we have to look to our local vintage car club for a bit of pre war motoring crack.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2020 :  22:42:56  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Simon Johnston

Tim,
Is there any merit in reviving the concept of Triple-M Centre Representatives to take the lead on the breakfast/brunch meets, and indeed on other things at a Centre/Regional level? Centre Reps used to exist years ago but were done away with during, I think, Peter Green's time as Chairman. I never could understand why as it seemed logical to me for the MGCC Centres to be the basis for local/regional activities undertaken by, or on behalf of, the Registers. I know from personal experience that some Centres don’t have much interest in Triple-M matters - the Ulster Centre had absolutely no interest in having any involvement in the 2016 Ulster Tour which I always thought was a pity - but there’s an established geographical Centre system that could surely be put to good use in offering some sort of structured activities for those of us who would welcome the camaraderie of Triple-M get togethers. Not everyone wants to go racing. Trouble is, over here in Norn Iron you’d be hard pressed to drum up more than four or five of our cars so we have to look to our local vintage car club for a bit of pre war motoring crack.

Simon J
J3437

The MGF Register of the MG Car Club has it's own Regional Reps that also work alongside the Centres. It works well (and I say that from personal experience both as a TF owner, and as Register Regional Rep). The MGF Register also has an International Rep that liaises with the affiliated MG Car Clubs beyond the UK. :)

Colin Murrell

Edited by - colintf on 22/11/2020 22:43:17
Go to Top of Page

mike.g

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2020 :  14:36:40  Show Profile
HI Tim,

I could be interested in the Hampton Court event as long as it does not clash with Beaulieu Autoswindle (sic)or Goodwood revival.

Best regards

Mike Gooch

m.j.gooch
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3228 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2020 :  20:06:03  Show Profile
I was Secretary to the Committee when the matter of Centre Representatives was on the agenda in the early 2000s. We decided to disband them because at the time there was very little interest or locally organised events.

Local breakfast or lunch time meetings might be a way to go, the Mattingley meet is always well supported although I have not attended it.

George
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 23/11/2020 20:07:31
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5994 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2020 :  20:25:12  Show Profile
Our local Thoroughbred Sports Car Club used to run a ‘Cars and Coffee' meeting at Down Royal Racecourse on a Saturday morning perhaps three or four times a year. It was hugely popular - sort of half way between a breakfast meeting and a brunch one - but of course on hold at the moment.

Regarding Centre Reps, perhaps encouraging them to be active might have been more fruitful than abolishing them? After all, the Committee doesn’t exactly provide much by way of Register activities itself: the racing is essentially a self contained operation and the annual Touring Events are basically sub-contracted to whoever is prepared to take on the job.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 23/11/2020 20:50:16
Go to Top of Page

Simon

United Kingdom
447 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2020 :  09:33:03  Show Profile
It's a nice idea if and when happier times return, it's hard to get established even on a very informal basis without having access to local members' contact details --"Data Protection"!! (but not if you exceed your car parking time!) At one time many car clubs were able to issue a membership list with contact details etc. even broken down into counties. We have been lucky here in South Somerset to have had regular monthly meetings hosted by two local pubs on different days where ample and exclusive parking is provided mainly for "classic" cars but a good many pre-wars turn up including a good few MMMers. Simon C.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5994 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2020 :  09:47:22  Show Profile
The MGCC’s Data Protection Guidelines allow the CRBs (Centres, Registers and Branches) to formally nominate persons to have access to the database so it would be quite proper for a Triple-M Centre Rep to be given the contact details of MGCC members in the Centre who have Triple-M cars. Of course, whether this information is available, or accurate, is another matter!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2020 :  09:48:40  Show Profile
Simon, let's not overlook the 40th and 50th anniversary touring events and the first Welsh Marches tour, the Lincs tour and suchlike which were very much organised by the Register itself - also numerous Register-organised touring events linked with sociable activities such as the annual dinners (no longer held, but revivable if Members so wish.....)

Not being defensive here, merely pointing out that Triple-M events involve a blend of inputs - and after all we are all volunteers!

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3228 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2020 :  09:54:20  Show Profile
Simon - the concept of having Centre Reps was not just abandoned. The Committee did try to encourage members to co-operate and arrange local meetings/events without success.

The Committee and many volunteers also have a lot of work to do organising the Register's attendance at MGCC Silverstone and Stoneleigh. To my mind these are very much social gatherings.

The idea of trying to organise inter marque events jointly with other clubs such as pre-war Riley, Austin 7s and Morris Minors etc may be worth investigating? Philip Bayne-Powell and some other Triple-M owners enter Naviscat rallies organised by an Inter Marque club.

George
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 24/11/2020 10:01:23
Go to Top of Page

Elizabeth Taylor

United Kingdom
81 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2020 :  13:45:43  Show Profile

And there is the Annual Summer Gathering, which last year was a huge social event.

Elizabeth
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1128 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2020 :  14:15:24  Show Profile
The social events linked to Racing meetings have always been open to all. We would love to see more spectators / supporters to join us. Especially at Brands in April at the MGCC event.

As Colin points out, it would be great to see a Spring Register event coincide with what will be our biggest event of the yr at Brands.

Also if your looking at the European tours, how about something that ended up at Angouleme in September! We will have the Triple-M grid Prince Bira Trophy there in 2021 after the cancellation this year.

Well done Tim for taking this on, I hope to join some non race events in the Future.

Can wait to get back together for the Summer Gathering too Elizabeth.

Great to see so much activity to potentially look forward to.

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000