Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 C Type ready for Monte Carlo rally
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Richard Le Flufy

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2021 :  11:54:45  Show Profile
A friend has sent me these photos of his wife's Uncle, Tony Apperly, with his MG after competing in the Monte Carlo rally in 193?. One with his mother and the other with his co-driver, Tony Muntzer, who was apparently well known in rallying circles. The family story is that they won their class.
It does not appear to be supercharged and note the MGCC badge, unchanged since then.
Any further info would be appreciated.
Does the car still exist?
Richard

RLF
J3618

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2021 :  12:23:25  Show Profile
The printed register shows this to be C0289 and owned by Charles Jones ( Baynton Jones) and The Hawke History shows it to be yet another one rescued by that man FOZ.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1027 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2021 :  13:16:29  Show Profile
It did compete in the monte in 1932 comming in 12th in class and 53rd overal.
It did win it’s class in the Course du Côte mot des mules, which I think was a hill climb part of the Monte.
So some slight nuances but a great performance nonetheless.

Add to that among others a 3rd in class at the 500 miles BRDC race a car with lovely periode history

Onno "J,D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2021 :  13:53:25  Show Profile
It’s interesting that The Hawke History shows the car to have been co-driven by D Apperly on the Monte in 1932, but seemingly owned, and driven by, G.W.J.H Wright who continued to compete with the car until March 1933. The first photo would certainly suggest that D (or A) Apperly was the co-driver rather than the driver.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2021 :  14:14:17  Show Profile
Hmm. I'm inclined to agree with Simon. The normally reliable rallyemontecarlo1932.unblog.fr also gives the driver's name as Wright and has this photo - the chap in the passenger seat looks pretty much like Mr Apperly:

http://rallyemontecarlo1932.unblog.fr/
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2021 :  08:33:11  Show Profile
It’s perhaps worth pointing out that while this car is listed in the printed register, or more accurately, the registration number is cross referenced with the chassis number, it has no Register number, nor does it appear in the public facing pages of the online Register. There would therefore appear to be some uncertainty over its provenance.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Richard Le Flufy

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2021 :  19:12:32  Show Profile
Thank you very much for the (rapid) responses to this. Mary, Apperly's niece, has confirmed that his initials were D A but that he was known as Tony. Having jogged her memory, she believes that the tall one was in fact Wright and that he was the owner.
Google GWJH Wright and some fascinating history about him and the car comes up, including a fire the next year.
How amazing to start from John O Groats and finish at Monte Carlo in January, when snow was much more extensive, in an unblown C Type.
Does anyone have a contact for Charles Jones if he is the present owner?
Richard

RLF
J3618
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2021 :  19:15:36  Show Profile
http://baynton-jones.co.uk/

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Roger Cadogan

United Kingdom
486 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2021 :  20:22:21  Show Profile
Hi Richard, Charles is at the works in Shaftesbury and the contact number is 01747 858915. They are working through the present difficulties.

Roger
Go to Top of Page

vixpy1

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2021 :  14:05:59  Show Profile
GWJH Wright was my Grandfather, He kept pretty much everything from his racing days and we have folders full of receipts, notes etc from the Monte Carlo rally. Some of it has been donated to Brooklands, but next time I am at my parents I can look and see if any of the letters or documents relate to Tony Apperly, I wonder if they were at Cambridge together.
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
651 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2021 :  15:46:53  Show Profile
Simon

Various Registers list it as MMM No. 587 - mid 60's probably
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2021 :  18:27:31  Show Profile
Tony,
My understanding is that this car is no longer on the Register.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2021 :  11:10:01  Show Profile
GWJH Wright is the taller of the two men and was a well known driver of M.G.s in the thirties with close connections to the works. He drove an ND which was one of the three "unofficial" Three Musketeers cars and also one of the team of three (with Alan Hess and Charlie Martin) MGCC Members who entered a brand new L Type in the 1933 LCC Relay race at Brooklands. They won the race at a speed of 88.62 mph and achieved a fastest lap of 93 mph.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000