Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 M-type UW 5990
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2021 :  20:20:45  Show Profile

This message was under 'Cars Wanted' but now I can add a couple of images it is perhaps better under Seeking information about a picture of an MG.

I am seeking any information regarding the current whereabouts of my late Father's 1929
M Type: Chassis number 2M 0715. Registration number UW 5990.

Last MMM Register owner J. Butt (1980s)

Please email raywhite750@btinternet,com

R. White

Sam

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2021 :  15:54:28  Show Profile
nothing heard of the car since 1990s!

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Ray White

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2021 :  22:29:49  Show Profile
As it happens, I posted a request for information regarding the photo back in 2013.

This M Type was my Father's first car and although he is sadly no longer with us, I would still really like to find it. I have been searching for 2M 0715 for many years but without success. I have reason to believe the car still survives but it's whereabouts is a mystery.

The MG was first registered UW 5990 to a Mr R. Andrews. When I first posted the 'competition' photo here in 2013 Mike Dalby kindly confirmed it had a build date of 17th September 1929 as a red two seater. My father, Ted White, would often recall interesting stories of this MG midget. It was his first car and required his considerable engineering skills to make it roadworthy. Shortly after Dad had bought the car he discovered it had a seriously frost damaged block and he repaired it by cold stitching with brass rod. Apparently, the finished repair looked so good he was reluctant to paint it over!

Another fault was something that many M type owners are familiar with; oil leaking from the overhead camshaft into the vertical dynamo.! Fortunately, Dad worked as a toolmaker at James Walker engineering in Woking and was able to make good use of a Dean Smith & Grace lathe (amongst other fine machines) to rectify the problem. He also made some spur gears and much else besides. The original engine number was MG 493A ...however, I have learned that this may have subsequently been replaced with MG779A. The last change of ownership was recorded as 31 December 1986.

My Grandfather (William White) was also involved in the project. He was a cabinet maker by trade and gave the car a new floor and in what would be frowned on today created a new "bob" tail with slab tank. This, together with a fold flat windscreen gave the MG a more contemporary appearance. From what can be seen in the second photo - taken from the February 1980 issue of Thoroughbred and Sportscar - the body has subsequently been restored back to standard.

It was in this guise that UW 5990 represented the model in a parade of historic MGs as part of their Golden Jubilee celebrations at Abingdon. The MG Car Club have helped in finding a photo of UW 5990 actually taking part in the parade.

In what I will always regard as a cynical act of cultural vandalism by the (late) pugnacious Sir Michael Edwardes, BL announced closure of the plant THE VERY NEXT DAY! (He later admitted it was probably a mistake)

UW 5990 was the first car that I ever went in; however, I was too young to appreciate it at the time but Dad had owned the MG from the early to mid 1950s. One memory I do have is of him towing home an abandoned Morris Minor OHC for spares. It was also red and I recall seeing it on it's side which apparently upset me! As a toddler there was just enough room for me on the ledge behind the seat. I remember when we took a holiday, the car broke down on the notorious Porlock Hill. Apparently, the flywheel had worked loose. Fortunately, the then owner of Doverhay garage in the village had taken an interest in the little MG and in an act of exceptional kindness allowed Dad to work in the garage on a Sunday...and use his tools!

Dad soon fixed the car and we were able to get home in time for him to get to work on the following Monday. Incidentally, the little garage in Porlock still survives - and takes a keen interest in classic cars.

Returning to the photo of UW 5990 in competition. For many years it hung on a wall in my Parents home and was always a topic of conversation. My Dad thought it might have been taken at "Stony Castle" near Bisley but after so many years couldn't be sure. Following my Father's death I took the photo down to examine it closer. The MG must have only just started it's ascent because if one looks carefully, the furthest man on the left - possibly a Marshall in white - has his gloved hand raised detaining a car which is also hidden from view by the people on the right.

On the back was printed a date of 1950 and details of the photographer but nothing more. What was more interesting, however, was the discovery that the photo had been folded over on both sides. Opening it up revealed a hidden secret and one which led to the discovery of the venue. Again, If one looks carefully, there is a Marshall on the right with a white arm band on which, significantly, has VSCC printed.

Fortunately, Ian Fergusson (the VSCC librarian) has confirmed a date of 26th February 1950 at the Bisley rally. (Apparently, trials were also called rallies back then). Unfortunately, they have no record of UW 5990 despite other vehicles being snapped at exactly the same spot that day. By that date, I assume, it would not have been competitive. More a case of hope over experience I expect.!

The last entry that the MMM Register has for 2M 0715 is a John Butt (previously of Great Doddington) Attempts to contact him have all failed - including some serious enquiries by fellow MG enthusiast Bev Sleet to whom I am grateful.

If anyone here has any information concerning this M Type please email me at:

raywhite750@btinternet.com.

Thank you all.

R. White
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2021 :  22:37:35  Show Profile
Fabulous story Ray. I do hope that you ares able to find out more :)

Colin Murrell
PA0786 (D0285 previously)
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ray White

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2021 :  23:20:32  Show Profile
Thank you Colin. I sincerely hope that more information can be found.

R. White
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2021 :  01:43:56  Show Profile
Just an observation Mike says nothing heard since the 90s but Ray says the 80s. Does Mike have more upto date information than Ray or is it just a slip of the keyboard?
Go to Top of Page

Ray White

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 18/02/2021 :  13:26:04  Show Profile
Yes, I saw that but I think John Butt was the last entry on the Register. I have a photo of the pretty thatched cottage in Great Doddington where the MG used to live. Some locals remember him as a Veterinary and I established that he was listed as a member of the British Veterinary Association in London. Enquiries there, however, came to nought. In fact shortly after I left a message his name was removed from the list. The Association itself has now been suspended.

I take some comfort from the likelihood that if the car is still in the U.K. ,UW 5990 remains with the car - or it would come up in a DVLA search. It is of course possible that the car has gone abroad but unlikely to have been scrapped. I have enquired on the various MG forums but what I need is a fresh lead.!

R. White
Go to Top of Page

Ray White

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2021 :  19:58:36  Show Profile

Talking about finding a new lead on my search for UW 5990 (2M 0715) it occurred to me that this photo might help. An MG 18/80 (VE 5212) is shown ahead of the object of my search ; M type UW 5990 whilst taking part in a parade through Abingdon. I understand this was part of the golden anniversary celebrations of MG production. The event was early 1980.

I don't know who owns the 18/80 or if they can be of help in any way but I think it would be worth investigating.

Any ideas how to track down the present owner or past owners of the 18/80?

R. White
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
864 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2021 :  12:40:20  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ray White

I don't know who owns the 18/80 or if they can be of help in any way but I think it would be worth investigating.
Any ideas how to track down the present owner or past owners of the 18/80?
R. White

Hello Ray,
99% sure, that Malcolm Beer is behind the steering wheel.
Gerhard
Go to Top of Page

creamcracker

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2021 :  15:26:06  Show Profile
Yes I agree. A young looking Malcolm Beer driving the MKII 18/80 2 seater VE 5212 purchased by Sid Beer in 1977.
Keith Herkes.
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
752 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2021 :  17:53:07  Show Profile
The Mk 2 18/80 VE 5212 is now owned by a chap in Twyford Buckinghamshire, I saw it about 10 years ago along with his Mk 1 WL 4440 a very early 1928 car, neither of the cars were on the road, and a long way from being so. VE 5122 had been brought by F Wilson McComb in 1959 and rebuilt by him using many parts from other cars. Before being acquired by Sid Beer in 1977 as above. It was originally owned by Dr Barron Cruikshank of Cambridge.

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

Ray White

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2021 :  21:19:37  Show Profile
The good news is I can confirm that the M Type UW 5990 survives; still in the ownership of John Butt.

My thanks to everyone who has helped with my search - especially Dick Morby who furnished me with some invaluable information.

If I manage to get some photos I will of course post them here.

Many thanks,

Ray.

Edited by - Ray White on 03/04/2021 21:20:56
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000