Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 EU Countries
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

graham3647

United Kingdom
448 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2021 :  20:12:17  Show Profile
Regarding selling items on the forum. What is the situation regarding selling used or new items to members in EU Countries.

Who is responsible for VAT and Customs declaration plus any other peculiar taxes that might apply to items. Many of which could be very old?
From press reports it can be very complicated!
Graham.

colintf

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2021 :  22:00:47  Show Profile
I don't know Graham to be honest. It does all sound very complicated now. Is there a .gov webpage or maybe one of our friendly traders could advise?
Sorry I can't help you.Colin

Colin Murrell
PA0786 (D0285 previously)
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

paul55

Luxembourg
728 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2021 :  07:10:21  Show Profile
Graham, in Luxembourg it's like this..or supposed to be, and I think that the rest of the EU should be the same.

On new parts as long as they are made in the UK they don't have any duty to pay. BUT, The shipper/seller should not include VAT on the cost of the goods, they should be shipped TVA/VAT free. The VAT/TVA in then added at the local rate for the country where the pats are shipped, plus a charge by the customs as an administration fee. This is taken care of in the country where the parts end up, and between the shipping company (DHL, DPD etc), the customs and the buyer. In Luxembourg and for new parts, it ends up being just about the same as before, as the Luxembourg TVA/VAT is only 17%, the difference between the UK TVA/VAT and the Luxembourg charge is taken by the administration fee.
If the parts are made outside of the UK then other charges and TVA/VAT apply, according to the link below.
http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/dds2/taric/taric_consultation.jsp?Lang=fr&redirectionDate#8206;=20110223
But all of this is taken care of by the buyer, the seller has nothing to do except don't charge VAT/TVA and have a proof of origin for where the parts are made.The buyer has to sort everything out.
For second hand parts I'm not quite sure, but I think that it will be along the same lines, but it would be upto the buyer to check with the local customs and not the seller.
Hope it helps,
Paul.
Go to Top of Page

poulsendk

Denmark
270 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2021 :  07:42:42  Show Profile
Last week I have ordret some BSF bolts and nuts from Namrick Ltd in UK.
Bolts and nuts from Namrick, no UK tax. £57,78
DK import tax £12,23
DK handling fee £15,05
DK tax of handling fee 25% £ 3,76
The total Price £88,82

Jørgen Poulsen

MGM 1930 MGM 1931
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2021 :  09:04:23  Show Profile
We are all learning the way through the bureaucratic nightmare.

Goods exported to EU based consumers are charged VAT either by the supplier or collected on receipt from the consumer (within the distance selling rules). VAT on goods of total value including shipping upto £135 can be collected by the supplier with no VAT charge made or service charges on receipt. If the supplier does not collect the VAT then it is collected on delivery along with processing charges.

I am pretty confident this is correct for now, so it may make sense to ask the seller to collect the VAT on low value shipments, or to split them so that each is below the threshold.

Many suppliers are still learning the rules or are simply unwilling to change their systems for a small number of transactions.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772

Edited by - Ian Bowers on 24/02/2021 09:05:26
Go to Top of Page

Tim Luffingham

United Kingdom
342 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2021 :  09:19:51  Show Profile
I’ve just sent an N type clutch cover sold via the forum to Holland. I went onto Parcelcompare.com with the weight and dimensions on the parcel. It offered several competitive prices ( £20) to be collected from my home. I went with UPS and having entered the pickup and delivery addresses the website then led me to the customs declaration. A drop down menu took me to car parts and then gearbox, the result being that UPS wouldn’t accept this for shipping. DPD the same and also Parcelforce. I then changed tack with Parcelforce and described the item as ‘machine parts’. Another drop down menu and two clicks later I was in a section for nuclear reactors! Backtrack to ‘machine parts’ and a link to a government website for ‘custom codes’ these being the 10 digit number needed to describe your item. Somewhere in this I found a code that seemed to fit along the lines of ‘machine part for obsolete item’. Having made a note of the code I went back to the Parcelforce website and entered it on the Customs declaration page. Code accepted ! I then printed off the 8 pages of Customs declaration plus the page with the delivery address and barcode. The 8 pages of Customs decs went into a clear resealable Jiffy bag and taped to the outside of the box. I used brown tape around the edges for this and was told off at the post office for not using clear tape. Somewhere in the process I was advised that anything shipped to Holland over the value of £15 would pay import duties, there was also the option to mark the item as being a gift - I may have made a judgement call on both of these at the time.
The whole process took took over two hours and added a few grey hairs.

Tim

Edited by - Tim Luffingham on 24/02/2021 09:32:35
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2495 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2021 :  09:23:23  Show Profile
I imagine that for the majority of Forum members it's the sale of very definitely used parts which is of interest. Do these attract VAT at all? Certainly if I sell a used part to someone in the UK, or indeed a new part that I have bought but no longer need, I just quote a price plus carriage and that is what he pays. I don't know how this used to operate within the EU but I think what is of interest now is, how does the sale of used parts between private individuals work across EU/UK borders?

Obviously Tim and I were typing at the same time and to a large extent he seems to have answered most of the question.

Dave

Edited by - Oz34 on 24/02/2021 09:33:56
Go to Top of Page

Tim Luffingham

United Kingdom
342 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2021 :  11:05:23  Show Profile
I feel I should add to my post above that this in no way is meant to reflect on our European friends. I'll be delighted to sell / ship parts abroad. The change to our export procedures is of our own making following the 2016 vote to leave. An inconvenience for us on the this side of the Channel however the consequence translates into pounds, schillings and pence for those on the other side when buying from us. Having been through the process once it will be easier next time.

Tim

Edited by - Tim Luffingham on 24/02/2021 11:06:14
Go to Top of Page

rodm

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2021 :  11:22:56  Show Profile
I sold an Amilcar starter motor just a few days before Christmas to a man in Belgium.
I use an online parcel broker, where I get lower prices for delivery.
Through them I used a Parcel Forces quote. With the chaos of parcel deliveries before Christmas, we both agreed it would be better to send it between Christmas and the New Year. When I went back then to book it, ParcelForce had withdrawn their service to Europe. I waited until Jan 4th, but the service had not been reinstated

I decided again through the broker to use DHL economy whose price was about 30% higher, but I just swallowed the cost. I had to find the code on the Government website for a starter motor, which wasn’t too difficult - it was a choice between a starter motor for an aircraft or other- and then had to produce 6 commercial invoices, a waybill and the packing label.
Neither of us are vat registered and it was a 95 year old used part made in France.

I sold it for £140 including postage and insured it for £150, so I put £150 on the commercial invoice.

It was collected from my house very quickly by DHL and instead of taking it by road, with all the delays at Dover, to their credit they flew it out to Brussels.
I didn’t check until about 10 days later to see if the buyer had received it, which he hadn’t
It had gone through customs ok, but on tracking I found it was sitting in DHL distribution awaiting payment. I told the buyer that he needed to contact DHL and make the payment. He was told he had to pay just under 3 euro which he did.

Still no delivery and I told him to call DHL again. This time he was told he had to pay 58.60 euro, which he refused to do. Eventually he agreed that if I paid half and got it to his doorstep, he would pay the other half, which I agreed to.

However although I had been asking the broker, all along about getting it delivered, their response was totally unsatisfactory. It’s funny how you can never speak to a real person now when there is a problem! Coivid!!
In desperation I spoke to a very helpful lady at DHL who explained that the charge was made up of VAT, Customs entry charge of 15 euro and a handling charge.
I told her that I would pay it, but she told me that as I had booked it through the broker, it would have to go through them. I never got a response from the broker.

By this time the parcel had been in the distribution centre for 21 days. At this point if payment hadn’t been made, the parcel could be destroyed- at my cost, or returned to me with all the additional charges.

Again, no help from the broker, but once again to DHL’s credit it appeared back at my house three days later with no demand for any payment!

The moral of this saga is that if you are selling something to Europe, make sure you have the buyers agreement that he will pay the additional costs, keep the price on the invoice as low as possible and go direct to a carrier who you can speak to.

I’ve been told that the reverse happens - when buying from the EU, charges are levied here.

Rod
Go to Top of Page

Roel Harryvan

Netherlands
35 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2021 :  17:09:01  Show Profile
For small parcels you can use the international document CN22.
The receiver has to pay ( for the Netherlands below 22€ no TAX or VAT
over the 22€ only VAT over 150€ VAT plus TAX and Document cost. This you have to pay to the transporter , DHL UMS Post.)
Go to Top of Page

Roel Harryvan

Netherlands
35 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2021 :  09:35:29  Show Profile
https://www.postoffice.co.uk/mail/customs-forms
Go to Top of Page

lordrob

Belgium
224 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2021 :  13:02:07  Show Profile
Hi all,
An update, I recently bought a used private object through the forum for £65 with £12 postage costs and when arrived I had to pay an extra 44,61 euro (approx.£37) extra for customs duty.
Not the best promotion for buying I recon !
Best regards from Belgium,
Roby

lordrob
Go to Top of Page

paul55

Luxembourg
728 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2021 :  13:24:27  Show Profile
Same here, my son ordered some parts from the UK for his Lotus, only gaskets and small parts, total cost including shipping was around £55, but had to pay €49 here in Luxembourg for import taxes!
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3340 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2021 :  14:20:28  Show Profile
A couple of small edits to some of the above posts. Experiences of moving goods to and fro are very useful as a guide to others but these forums are not the place to air political views. Please refrain.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Drolshagen

Germany
662 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2021 :  16:16:17  Show Profile
Hi Paul & Rob
EU custom law is following,

value of goods plus p&p up to € 25 is VAT and duties free

bitween € 22 qnd € 150 you have just to pay
the VAT of our country
over € 150 you have to pay 7% duties
good valuue and P&P on that sum your VAT.

When you pay more,you pay the carrier as handlings fee.

DHL fee is € 6,00
UPS € 75,00

sorry it is in German, but these are EU regulations

https://www.paketda.de/ausland/paket-mit-zoll.php#EuSt

it includes a calculator for duties

cheers
Carl
J2 4362
L2 2036
Go to Top of Page

rodm

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2021 :  23:40:34  Show Profile
Carl
Can you clarify please?
Does the 25 euro amount include the postage cost or is it 25 euro plus the postage?
Thanks
Rod
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000