Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 JB 859
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
936 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2021 :  15:24:22  Show Profile
Simon, the use of 'quotes' around disappeared is provoking. Is there more to say on this subject?

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1940 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2021 :  16:28:59  Show Profile
Hello Nick.

Whatever happened to K3004 subsequently, the car was supplied as I described above, in standard slab tanked two seater form . Copyright precludes me from showing the picture which shows Adrian Squire and Manby-Colgrave standing behind the car outside the Remenham Hill Garage alongside the road.
Apparently, Manby-Colgrave had planned to use the car in the Mille Miglia but for whatever reason neither he or his car took part. This car was collected by Reginald Slay, Adrian Squire and MC had been to Abingdon two months before in February, to order the car. Squire himself had worked at Abingdon in the
Drawing Office.

The series of photographs of the car with modified racing bodywork seen with Squire mechanics were taken in August so the car must have been altered sometime between March and August of 1933.

Chris

Edited by - Westbury on 15/03/2021 16:33:16
Go to Top of Page

nick westbrook

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2021 :  17:35:38  Show Profile
Hello Chris
Surely it would have been easier to purchase a pointed tail body from the factory and change it over?
Did I dream it or somewhere in Reg Slay's book - 'Haps Misshaps and Fun' (I no longer have a copy as I gave it back to Roy Palmer who owned Squire JB 8776) did he say that he had come across the original body for the car in recent years (circa 2000)??
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1940 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2021 :  19:19:04  Show Profile
Hello, Nick.

The MG factory didn’t supply the pointed tail version of the K3 until 1934 but of course the M-C tail was a one off and may well have been knocked up in the Squire workshops. ( Manby-Colgrave being a business partner to Adrian Squire )

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5945 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2021 :  19:53:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Bowers

Simon, the use of 'quotes' around disappeared is provoking. Is there more to say on this subject?

Nope!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

houndhome

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2021 :  23:14:20  Show Profile
My understanding which I read somewhere is that the wings off K3004 were used on the prototype Squire.this would seem to make
some sense as a cost saving if they were not going to be required for the K3.
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1940 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2021 :  23:46:40  Show Profile

Hello, Ben.

That is quite correct.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

nick westbrook

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2021 :  16:42:15  Show Profile
Hello Chris
Having studied the before and after pictures in the Squire book it certainly looks like a completely new body. So do we think that K3004 was in effect the prototype pointed tail car and, if so, did MG copy the design / construction for their 1934 production? This having regard to Adrian Squire's close relationship with Cecil Kimber.
The original thread of this story was the UK registration number and the sideways on photo of the car in road going form at Remenham Hill Garage tantalisingly shows a high mounted plate of 2 letters and 4 digits. Does anyone have access to the Berkshire Registration Lists that I studied at Oxford Library back in the 1990's?
Nick W
J2118
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1940 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2021 :  20:04:14  Show Profile

Hello again, Nick.

I personally doubt that the pointed tail on the (Mk11) Manby-Colgrave’s car in itself led to the MG factory producing their pointed tail version of the K3 in 1934. It was probably simply the owner’s choice to make his car look more like a racing car.
There were other owners who altered their cars to a similar style and it seemed to be a trend at that time.

It would be good to clear up the mystery !

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Ross Kelly

Australia
226 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2021 :  08:57:11  Show Profile
Hi,
Attached is page regarding registration JB1411 from my extensive dossier on K3004. I have found no photos showing the registration of K3004 between 1933 and 1950, in fact no photos at all between 1939 and 1952 until it came to Australia in 1952. I have contacted the Kithead Trust regarding registrations but they were closed due to Covid 19.

cheers
Ross Kelly

Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1940 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2021 :  10:53:40  Show Profile
Thanks for that information, Ross.
It would not have made any sense to supply a road going K3 without a registration number.
Just unfortunate that no period photographs seem to exist showing the car with it’s number.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Ross Kelly

Australia
226 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2021 :  12:10:20  Show Profile
Chris, My thoughts as well, how did. the car travel from race meet to race meet if not registered. The car registered to H. Stuart-Wilton. does not seem right as it was owned by Mrs Corbett-Fisher.
cheers
ross

quote:
Originally posted by Westbury

Thanks for that information, Ross.
It would not have made any sense to supply a road going K3 without a registration number.
Just unfortunate that no period photographs seem to exist showing the car with it’s number.

Chris

Go to Top of Page

nick westbrook

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2021 :  20:03:18  Show Profile
Hi Chris & Ross
In Johnathan Wood's Squire book there is a much clearer version of the bottom right hand pic outside the Garage which definitely shows a front number plate of seemingly 2 digits and 4 numbers. According to JW the photo was taken by the Motor Sport photographer in May 1933 when they did a limited road test? I wonder if anyone has a copy of their test and if the original negatives of the photoshoot have survived?
With reference to transportation to and from the track Squires had a very smart service van and also a very posh sign written trailer (shown in the Squire book taking the single seater Squire to Brooklands in 1936).
The mystery rumbles on!
Nick
J2118
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5945 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2021 :  20:33:36  Show Profile
The LAT photographic archive at Motor Sport are very helpful and may be able to track down the photos taken by their photographer. Well worth a try.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
668 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2021 :  20:53:33  Show Profile

https://www.prewarminor.com/triple-m-corner-no-132

Credits motorsportimages (the current owners of the LAT Autocar photo archives) as the copyright holders so they presumably have the negative.

I have recently purchased some rather nice photos of my 18/80 from them and found them to be extremely helpful

Edited by - KevinA on 17/03/2021 21:01:06
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000