Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 F-type photos
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cryrnr

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2021 :  17:20:49  Show Profile
I have a collection of 13 F-Magna B&W glossy prints (all slightly different sizes but typically around 8"x6")mounted on thin black board. Please see attached a selection of just four of them.

The board is A4 so clearly not in period (at least I assume not) but I've always assumed that the photos themsleves are contemporary publicity shots. Did the Factory perhaps provide these in albums to dealers?

Some of the photos appear in Malcom Green's book but certainly not all thirteen.

Should these be in an MMM archive? If 'yes' I would be very happy to donate them.

Neil

sam christie

United Kingdom
3051 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2021 :  19:33:59  Show Profile

Neil, the puzzle with the Triple-M archive (if it exists) is that things that have gone in no longer seem to come out.

Years ago the library provided sheets with 'thumbnail' pictures of different models and it was possible to order old fashioned photographic prints. I still have a copy of the list somewhere. Back in the 1980's I ordered a number of really useful M-type prints but I am unaware of any mechanism to access these (or their equivalents for other models) today.

To be fair a few scans have appeared in more recent times but at such a low level of resolution that the useful detail is largely lost.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1480 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2021 :  20:33:17  Show Profile
What wonderful photographs Neil

Colin Murrell
PA0786 (D0285 previously)
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2494 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2021 :  20:42:05  Show Profile
Agreed about the detail Sam. Those factory photos were really crisp and superb. I have a copy of the set of thumbnails you mention but certainly I know of no way to order prints today.

Dave

Edited by - Oz34 on 09/04/2021 20:42:38
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3051 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2021 :  21:15:12  Show Profile

Neil I have attempted to send you an email through the Forum but...

Sam
Go to Top of Page

cryrnr

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2021 :  21:18:18  Show Profile
Sam - That’s odd as I’ve just received an email from you! Will reply within the hour. Neil
Go to Top of Page

cryrnr

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2021 :  21:47:58  Show Profile
Here is an additional photo showing the rear of a chassis. Clearly much effort has been expended in preparing it for show. I assume its the same chassis that's displayed on the back of the lorry.

Apologies that I don't seem to be able to manipulate the images to appear horizontal. They are ok on my screen but not when uploaded!

Neil

Go to Top of Page

KJ1592

United Kingdom
449 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2021 :  07:36:49  Show Profile
Fantastic images of great use to people restoring cars I would have thought.

In my experience if you crop the images down slightly before uploading them to the forum they stay horizontal. I have no idea why this is.

Best wishes
Ian
Go to Top of Page

JimG

United Kingdom
25 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2021 :  08:47:37  Show Profile
It would great if these images could be placed in the document download section of the website, I guess the webmaster would need to do this.

Jim Gunn
F2 Magna
F1444
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3051 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2021 :  11:27:26  Show Profile

Sam
Go to Top of Page

JohnE

United Kingdom
363 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2021 :  11:27:51  Show Profile
I agree with Ian, Amazing detail of things like the lubrication system on these originally plates photos, and they apply equally to the D. The flexible oil tube going to the brake cable was a interesting detail, but a fox ate through one of my interpretations, so maybe the solid "J" version is an improvement.

JohnE
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2021 :  11:43:41  Show Profile
Neil
Picture rotated. Still on my to-do list.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2021 :  11:44:37  Show Profile
I will add the pictures to Document downloads provided there are no copyright issues.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2021 :  13:02:56  Show Profile
Does anyone know the origin of these pictures? I have no idea whom to contact regarding copyright. Hopefully any copyright there might have been has long since expired.
Neil, at the very least they should be preserved in the archive.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

cryrnr

United Kingdom
213 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2021 :  21:25:15  Show Profile
Nick,

Thank you for sorting the orientation.

Prompted by your question about copyright I have (very carefully!) peeled two of the photographs from their backings in search of any clues.

The first (the shot of the chassis on the lorry) bears no markings.

HOWEVER, the second I tried (rear nearside chassis) has a label saying "Photograph supplied by the MG Car Club MMM Register Library - to re-order quote reference No. F31"!!

I would therefore summise that at some time in the distant past these photos were indeed known to the Register and presuambly available for members to purchase - which I assume is how the previous owner of the F-type I once owned (F0330) came by them.

Does the Register still have a hard-copy library?

Whatever, is there somewhere/someone I can send the photos in order that they can; 1) be scanned in high resolution for inclusion in the document downloads section and then 2) placed in safe storage for posterity.

Neil
Go to Top of Page

Mark

United Kingdom
127 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2021 :  06:59:15  Show Profile
Back in the early 1980s I purchased a set of F type photos which included the copies you have posted. They came from Roger Thomas whom I think was the MMM librarian at the time. I remember going to his home in Kew to collect them. The set included the pictures that appear in Mike Allisons book " The Magic of MG"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000