Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 A Ray of Sunshine
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PeterL

United Kingdom
1703 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2021 :  20:05:29  Show Profile
Ian Ross has just sent me this photo. It is the only one I have of my car taken prewar. Because of his website someone saw it and sent it to him. It comes from what we would call today, and they might have in those days too, a coffee table publication, A3 sort of sized compendium of photos from the Times, published in 1934, as “Great Britain her beauty and achievements”
I feel justly proud!
Now...
Someone took the photo, and there is someone else in the photo. And we can see him. Any ideas who he might be? And why this picture with the MG on display beside Lake Vyrnwy in Wales?
The car was the Works Demonstrator from late July to November 1932 so was this one of the tasks allocated to demonstrators? And who would have driven from Abingdon to Snowdonia just to take a photo? I can only think of one man, Kitty Brunell's father. She had taken RX9778 on the first Scottish Rally in early July ’32 and he had taken lots of photographs of her then. Was this her taking pictures of him?

And would he have had connections with the Times? Or did Cecil Kimber? And was this published in the paper beforehand?
And was anything else going on in Wales that summer?

Any thoughts, Anybody?

Meanwhile, thank you Ian and thank you whoever told us about it.

PreWarMG

Australia
395 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2021 :  22:34:00  Show Profile
Do you have a copy of the "Kimber Centenary Book" ?. Your question may be answered within. I would check my copy for you, but it is out on "loan" at the moment.

Safety Fast

Tony

We are here for a good time, not a long time !.
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1703 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2021 :  16:01:50  Show Profile
Thanks for the "heads up". I shall try to fond a copy here, they all seem to be in the States (they were printed there so I shouldn't be surprised...

My thinking is the the first Scottish Rally ended a couple of weeks before my car became a demonstrator. The Brunells were familiar with the F Type and may have had this trip planned. If the Scottish Rally car was not available then it would be simple for them to take this...

Maybe I need to look at the chassis file of RX9778, the Scottish Rally car, as well...

Cheers

p
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2021 :  12:28:27  Show Profile
“Great Britain her beauty and achievements” was published by Evans Brothers in association with The Times. Its purpose seems to have been primarily to promote the country as a tourism destination for foreign visitors. All the photographs had apparently been previously published in the paper, although I haven't been able to trace this one by searching the Times Archive for 'Vyrnwy', so if it was indeed published in the paper, that presumably wasn't in the original caption.

This is the announcement of publication in The Times, June 4th 1934. Yours for two and a kick, sir!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000