Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Website problems and suggestions
 Phishing e-mails
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2021 :  21:45:15  Show Profile
Be aware!
Some of the committee and others whose details appear on the contacts page of this website have found that their details have been taken, adapted in a rather crude way by unscupulous parties to create a barely plausible spoof e-mail identity. That identity is then used to send requests to others.

Our webmaster has given the following guidance:
"They can see the Contacts list and use it to create email accounts with the name followed by the bogus email address. They send it to the email address of someone else on the list. They are fishing for a reply to identify the genuine email address of the person they have spoofed. They can then sell that email address.
The only real defence is to be vigilant and not reply to email addresses you do not recognise. Making the whole website private might help but is not infallible."

So it seems that the problem may be confined to folks who are on our Register's website contact list, but nevertheless we all need to be alert to these machiavellian moves!

Dick Morbey, Register Secretary
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
secretary@triple-mregister.org

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5998 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2021 :  22:26:58  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by DickMorbey

Our webmaster has given the following guidance:
"They can see the Contacts list and use it to create email accounts with the name followed by the bogus email address. They send it to the email address of someone else on the list. They are fishing for a reply to identify the genuine email address of the person they have spoofed. They can then sell that email address.
The only real defence is to be vigilant and not reply to email addresses you do not recognise. Making the whole website private might help but is not infallible."

I regularly get these emails, usually claiming to be from Mike Allison (who is first on the list which may or may not be significant), but I still don’t understand their purpose. The genuine email addresses are there for all to see so what benefit does the 'spoofer' get if you did reply to one of the fake ones?

And while I’m all in favour of making most of the website private, the contact list should surely always be acccessible to any passing T, D or H who might wish to make legitimate contact?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000