Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Hornet ***** 12 brake parts
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Foz

United Kingdom
759 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2021 :  14:40:37  Show Profile
The "sad"car has been fitted with 12" hydraulic brakes but no hand brake mechanism.... OK for a racer but not to make it road legal.
Required a pair of rear Hornet back plates and handbrake fittings -- plus anything else you may have...
Will buy Or swap for a set of 12" rear cable brakes and/or pair 12" hydraulic backplates...but without handbrake "stuff"
Trying to finish off things I had promised to do before I RETIRED.......
FOZ

Colinladd

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2021 :  07:58:51  Show Profile
Hello Barry, I think Tony Gould does Wolesley backplates with the handbrake bits.
I would be interested in your 12” cable brakes if they become spare.
Colin
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1949 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2021 :  08:16:03  Show Profile

Hello, Colin and Barry.

Sorry to say Tony cannot help with these at the moment. I had already been in touch with him on Barry’s behalf as he seemed the obvious person.

Cheers,
Chris
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
759 Posts

Posted - 25/09/2021 :  13:10:26  Show Profile
Thanks Guys for your input..... may try welding a boss in with a cable brake cam and lever operating on the leading shoe..... any one tried that idea?
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1870 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2021 :  14:09:31  Show Profile

Foz,

Your posting goaded me into taking some action as I have the same problem with some 12" Wolseley style back plates without any provision for a handbrake. Mine however are aluminium and thus I did not wish to subject them to the inevitable twisting forces that a single brake cam would exert.

Please see the photos of my partially complete solution. I have installed twin cams, using standard MG 12" bits and bosses machined up from aluminium tool plate. The forces will thus be split between the two brake shoes. The outer cable attached to one lever and inner to the other. There is just enough clearance for the cable to pass beneath the axle casing.

To further reduce the skewing forces on the brake cam shafts, I intend installing a bridge piece connecting the protruding ends of the cam shafts retained using the oiler threads. Lubrication of the shafts is not critical as I have installed oilite bushes. Temporarily replacing the bolts with grease nipples would facilitate additional lubrication if required.

P.S. The side forces on the brake cam shafts where they enter the bridge piece would be taken by the approx 6mm of exposed shaft beyond the cam lever and not by the bolts in the oiler threads. They merely retain the bridge piece in place.

Edited by - coracle on 17/11/2021 14:17:08
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
759 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2021 :  14:22:15  Show Profile
Hi Nigel,
almost identical to what I sketched up........ good enough to have twin lever brakes on a K3 so should work on a J2!
Thanks for the input .... will let you know what I end up with!
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

rossk

United Kingdom
494 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2021 :  22:04:53  Show Profile
Dad's PB racer has Hornet hydraulic brakes with a handbrake set up. I will try and remember to take some pictures and post them.

Ross Keeling
Go to Top of Page

njnh

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2021 :  11:03:21  Show Profile
This is the original handbrake arrangement for 12in Hornet brakes. It works perfectly well on my J2. Please ignore the ghastly hub botch-up that was on the car when I bought it!

Nigel H

Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1870 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2021 :  12:30:09  Show Profile
Foz's difficulty, and mine, is that neither of us have the components necessary to complete a Hornet conversion; hence his original request: "Required a pair of rear Hornet back plates and handbrake fittings -- plus anything else you may have..."

I reckon a pair of Hornet style backplates could probably be changed to exclusive cable operation without too much trouble using MMM shoes. I will check later as I have some original steel Hornet backplates (sorry Foz I have a use for them) and will have a fiddle later.

Edited by - coracle on 19/11/2021 12:36:16
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1870 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2021 :  16:35:12  Show Profile

Yes it looks as though Hornet backplates could be easily converted to cable only if one so desired. An original brake cam boss fits into the wheel cylinder hole only requiring two extra holes to secure it as the two existing holes line up.

The two hoops guiding the rods fitted to the Wolseley shoes would have to be ground off, but I think that is about it. Excepting the fettling required to fit the backplates to the axle case.

Foz, if you have Wolseley style backplates without the handbrake boss, would this be a potential solution?
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1870 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2021 :  21:10:16  Show Profile

I went into the garage to look for Hornet bits and found a whole one!
Go to Top of Page

mgmog

United Kingdom
460 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2021 :  22:38:38  Show Profile
Hornet ... Moth I think. Poor wee beastie.

Rich Stott
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1870 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2021 :  22:42:39  Show Profile
https://www.pestworld.org/pest-guide/stinging-insects/european-hornet/
Go to Top of Page

mgmog

United Kingdom
460 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2021 :  22:51:43  Show Profile
Yes, but the fuzzy body and black band - looks more moth to me. Does it have a waist - difficult to see.

Rich Stott
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
759 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2021 :  22:56:04  Show Profile
Nigel...... that is a hornet.... got stung by one at Donington!
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
759 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2021 :  23:05:31  Show Profile
Nigel H. Many thanks for the picture.... exactly what I needed to see. I have just acquired a bare pair of Hornet rear back plates and with the shoes and cylinder from the spare fronts I will be able to make the missing bits or misuse some MG parts to complete them.
Thanks to every one who contributed.
reference to another thread on the forums these parts must have come from a scrapped car but will allow another to be put back on the road.........
FOZ
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000