Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Fuel Tank Dipstick
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Reinout

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2021 :  16:38:40  Show Profile
This dipstick came up on the Prewar Minor Forum. Was something similar available for our cars also, either a period aftermarket or a factory accessory?

Reinout Vogt
Emma
1931 M-Type 2M/2735

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2021 :  17:59:29  Show Profile
Reinout,
Found this in my files for a 2 seater P Type - can't find the the Info.Letter referred to now, but this may help:

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
650 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2021 :  18:20:29  Show Profile
Reinout,

Haydon Edwards is making a batch of these for the Vintage Minor Register. See www.vintageminor.co.uk/202112%20December%202021%20Christmas%20Wishes.pdf

Since the Minor and M Type tanks were dimensionally identical, these should work for an M Type, PROVIDED they fit down through the filler which was differently positioned on the M. I.e. as long as the stick end reached the bottom of the tank.
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1473 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2021 :  18:57:55  Show Profile
Many thanks Bruce and Ian :)

Colin Murrell
PA0786 (D0285 previously)
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2483 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2021 :  18:50:50  Show Profile
Bruce I am slightly puzzled by your table with its statement about zero and the start of the reserve quantity. As we all know, a P 2 seater has a 12 gallon tank. The owner's manual states that the reserve is 3 gallons and yet, if the table is to be believed, there is only 0.3 gallons available for a reserve to make up the 12.

In addition, in the early noughties, someone posted a set of figures which included 7.8 inches for 6 gallons and 18 inches for 12 gallons, quite a considerable difference.

I've just measured my tank externally from the top of the bottom flange to the bottom of the top one; 20 3/8 inches so 18 for 12 gallons makes sense since you don't really want to fill it it overflowing do you?

I think in the end I shall have to, as I keep intending to, put successive gallons into an empty tank and keep dipping it.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2483 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2021 :  18:57:12  Show Profile
Immediately after posting, further thoughts.

If we take zero as indeed the start of reserve, i.e. 3 gallons, we only require 9 more so 12 gallons is now 3.4 plus 15.9; 19.3 inches or just about 1 inch below the top.

I guess you all realised that but old dumbo here was a bit slow on the uptake. Situation normal!!

Dave

Edited by - Oz34 on 20/12/2021 18:58:06
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5945 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2021 :  19:50:46  Show Profile
One small point to remember - if you have a new tank, you can’t be sure where the reserve level starts as it is dependent upon the length of the main pipe so you’d really need to run it until you need to switch to reserve and then fill it up, a gallon at a time, and mark your stick accordingly. The pipes in my tank are more or less the same length so in practice I have no reserve. I keep meaning to extend the reserve pipe by inserting a length of copper brake pipe into the existing pipe - it’s a nice snug fit so will still allow fuel to be lifted by the pump - but haven’t quite go round to it. I realise, of course, that the P Type pipes enter the tank from the bottom so the solution, if one is needed, will be different.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1539 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2021 :  20:19:09  Show Profile
And Merry Happy Christmas dip-sticks to all......!!!!......

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2021 :  00:00:58  Show Profile
A few weeks ago, I took my P type out for a spin knowing there was little left in the tank. Sure enough, it ran out of petrol, and I switched over to the reserve. Though I had done this successfully in the past, to my surprise (and annoyance, as it was going to be a long walk) this time it wouldn’t go.

Basic checks proved that the pump was actually pumping petrol. What had happened was that the valve fork in the front carb had stuck down when the float chamber had fully emptied, causing it to flood.

Not sure what the moral of the story is except best to keep the tank topped up!

Barny Creaser
(Wellingborough)
Go to Top of Page

Reinout

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2021 :  16:24:52  Show Profile
Thank you all for the tips. As I am rarely driving far enough and remotely enough that fuel is of concern, I am not so worried what's actually in Emma's tank as long as I fill up before I leave. And if I need to know, I can just look into the filler opening and 'guesstimate' accurately enough.

However, since there was a Morris branded dipstick, there could have been an MG branded version also. And wouldn't that a cool item to have?

Reinout Vogt
Emma
1931 M-Type 2M/2735
Go to Top of Page

morisani

Italy
109 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2022 :  10:16:53  Show Profile
I wonder if it would be possibile to ask Haydon Edwards, who has prototyped the replica of the original Prime Minor petrol gauge to do an Mg P type one, according to the Type Fuel contents (ex TripleM infoletter n.81) shown in this post. Is the P type fuel tank different from P type? Thanks
Francesco
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000