Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 One cam bearing cap + shell
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

AndrysPosthuma

Netherlands
167 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2022 :  11:16:47  Show Profile
Hi all,

My N head needs one replacement bearing cap plus shell - all others are good. Do you have one laying around?

Thanks a lot, Andrys

------------------------------
See my weblog on https://mgna0669.wordpress.com/

coracle

United Kingdom
1871 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2022 :  14:03:39  Show Profile
Andrys,

S & V used to supply new matched camstand and caps ( I bought one a few years ago.)

Vintage MG Parts lists caps: http://www.vintagemgparts.com/camstand_caps.html but however probably stocks the raw castings awaiting machining and it may not be too keen on machining just one up. I have a number of camstands short of caps and could join with you to make it worth while for Richard to machine up a small batch.

If nobody is able to supply you with a cap, I suggest you try Richard Hardy and in the mean time I will identify how many caps I would like.
Go to Top of Page

Barry Walker

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2022 :  17:47:07  Show Profile
Hi Andrys.
I don't know why Coracle is suggesting these are made, I have so many in stock for M/D/F/J, but are low on L/K/P/N types now.
Just drop an e-mail to barry@barrywalker.com

Yours, Barry Walker
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1710 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2022 :  18:26:49  Show Profile
How much are your's Barry?
Go to Top of Page

Barry Walker

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2022 :  19:37:52  Show Profile

Intermediate L/K/N cam stands & matching caps are £145 complete + vat
It is not wise to fit caps to bases unless they are a matched set, or have been line bored in situ.

All enquiries to barry@barrywalker.com

Go to Top of Page

cleydon

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2022 :  19:49:49  Show Profile
Barry is correct, unless you want to spend hours and hours with a babbitt scraper. (And still never get a straight bore.)

Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1871 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2022 :  11:59:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Barry Walker

Hi Andrys.
I don't know why Coracle is suggesting these are made,...

I quote from my original post: "If nobody is able to supply you with a cap,..."

Barry, does that help?

Andrys is asking for one cap plus a shell. I note that Barry has a plethora of small cam stands with caps and a limited supply of large cam stands with cap, but no mention of a cap on it's own so presumably my suggestion still stands?

Alternatively if Barry does have individual caps available, I would be interested in hearing the price, but certainly would not deprive Andrys should supply be limited.
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1871 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2022 :  12:29:02  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Barry Walker

It is not wise to fit caps to bases unless they are a matched set, or have been line bored in situ.

Common sense suggests that wisdom should be contextually applied.

In the case of Andrys' N type as only one cap and shell is required, one might assume that the others and camshaft are serviceable. If this is the case it would be a shame to unnecessarily disturb the alignment and bedding in of the remaining bearing surfaces.

The pragmatic solution would be to replace the missing cap and shell, fitting appropriately by scraping. Replacing both stand and cap could well require that all the bearings are replaced with the consequential line boring requirement.

I agree that ideally caps and stands should be matched but this does not preclude the use of unmatched assemblies providing they are dealt with appropriately.

Whilst I agree with Chris that scraping can be laborious, good results can be obtained with patience. I have done this and the end result is rewarding. Much worse is scraping the upper surface of a block to properly fit a cylinder head. Cast iron takes a lot more scraping and regularly lifting the cylinder head off and on gives a good workout.

For anyone interested this old film on bearing scraping is quite informative:
https://youtu.be/qoJ_6bk23UE
Go to Top of Page

AndrysPosthuma

Netherlands
167 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2022 :  16:27:14  Show Profile
As topic starter, may I suggest that we take the discussion to the "technical information" forum, rather than this "parts wanted"?

Thank you for your contributions anyway. I indeed require one shell only. The others are good to be made to fit my new camshaft.

I also could use a cap, since one of mine is a bronze aftermarket casting. That said, the bronze cap seems to be made properly, only its bearing shell is no good. One other contact has several old shells laying around so I am going to sort through those to find what I require.

thanks! Regards, Andrys

------------------------------
See my weblog on https://mgna0669.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2138 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2022 :  23:13:32  Show Profile
Vintage MG Parts have always machined its caps with meticulous accuracy and, without a single customer return.

If there is reasonable demand then we will run another batch, avoiding customers having to unnecessarily purchase new upper and lower castings

Interest should be registered to Vintage MG Parts through email only, enquiries@vintagemgparts.com

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1871 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2022 :  13:07:37  Show Profile
A 1960's solution. It seemes to have lasted though.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2138 Posts

Posted - 13/01/2022 :  22:51:50  Show Profile
Today, we have already received expressions of interest in 4 P/N/L/K type camstand caps.

Once everyone has registered who may require these then we can pop the pattern to the foundry and run a batch.

Please register interest directly and not through this forum topic

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000