Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Wokeism
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

merlinart

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2022 :  13:09:26  Show Profile
MG Short Arse...an alternative perhaps...as a "short arse" just 1.65m and was once told when I bought my first suit..."sir is a little short in the leg"..I have no objection to driving an MG Short Arse!
Go to Top of Page

merlinart

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2022 :  13:11:20  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Teifion

Fubar..

Teifion

add FUBB and SNAFU too!
Go to Top of Page

merlinart

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2022 :  13:12:55  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by merlinart

MG Short Arse...an alternative perhaps...as a "short arse" just 1.65m and was once told when I bought my first suit..."sir is a little short in the leg"..I have no objection to driving an MG Short Arse!

Of course, the MG SA was a bit of a misnomer.
Go to Top of Page

Ktype

United Kingdom
342 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2022 :  18:27:26  Show Profile
There is now - as there always has been - evolving views concerning acceptable use of language. Lots of formerly acceptable usage is not any more. We have accepted that new Jaguars no longer share a name with Hitler's elite. There are lots terms we know we would not use describing a member of the club from the Carribean.

If people with the intrinsic condition of dwarfism say midget is an offensive term for a consumer product it is hard for those with an extrinsic status - owning or liking a car that was called a Midget 90 years ago - to say the product name is inoffensive.

This is a change to a product name - not to our cars. It is still OK to talk about an historical term - say an SS100 for an old Jaguar. We may not like the change but the reasons for it are good and it is the hallmark of good society that the majority defer to the minority when it matters to the minority more than it does to the majority. We should accept this with the grace becoming a group who are kind and considerate of each other in so many ways. Doing so makes change much easier to take. Resisting it can make us less happy for no good in return.

Paul

Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1949 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2022 :  19:09:35  Show Profile
Paul.
No one would condone insults to any group of people but many are finding something to complain about for political reasons only. I refer you to my earlier post.
Chris

Edited by - Westbury on 18/01/2022 19:15:23
Go to Top of Page

Ktype

United Kingdom
342 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2022 :  20:42:56  Show Profile
Chris

If no one would condone insults to any group of people - and people found that term insulting - I dont see why we are on page two here.

Erin Pritchard wrote:

Dr Erin Pritchard

13 Jan
It seems that there are a lot of average sized men getting upset about the removal of the word midget from a packet of sweets. I didn't realise they were so sensitive. Here's a good statement on why midget is offensive https://lpaonline.org/the-m-word

That article - 2015 so not a flash in the pan - says:

The word “midget” was never coined as the official term to identify people with dwarfism, but was created as a label used to refer to people of short stature who were on public display for curiosity and sport. Today, the word “midget” is considered a derogatory slur. The dwarfism community has voiced that they prefer to be referred to as dwarfs, little people, people of short stature or having dwarfism, or simply, and most preferably, by their given name.

You have found politics in this I cannot see.

I don't want us all to have a continuing debate. I did want to let everyone see what lay behind this change - and to have the other point of view. Many of us will have had a nickname we did not like. This is about having a term you do not like and cannot escape. THe names of one of the cars we like has unfortunate context - no more or less is at stake for us than that.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
697 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2022 :  21:41:16  Show Profile
Paul,
Thank you for pointing us in the direction of the LPA which certainly helps me understand this complex better. I have however read the article that you refer to and it clearly states that the request and effort from the LPA is to stop the use of the word "midget" in relation to those people who have dwarfism. There is no context that I can see where they are objecting to the word midget used as it was originally intended.
I hope that I have lived my life being courteous and polite to other people not wishing to cause any offense but I really cannot see any reason why perfectly good words with clear meaning should be changed or denied usage.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

merlinart

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2022 :  10:58:33  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Keith Durston

Paul,
Thank you for pointing us in the direction of the LPA which certainly helps me understand this complex better. I have however read the article that you refer to and it clearly states that the request and effort from the LPA is to stop the use of the word "midget" in relation to those people who have dwarfism. There is no context that I can see where they are objecting to the word midget used as it was originally intended.
I hope that I have lived my life being courteous and polite to other people not wishing to cause any offense but I really cannot see any reason why perfectly good words with clear meaning should be changed or denied usage.
Keith

Hear hear.

It is absurd, that irrespective or whether a minority feel, or or induced to feel offence at certain useage of words, that with a potential hand swipe, history is re-written. We give in far to easily, or are encouraged to do so. There are many "dwarf" comedians who make great light of their height/smallness, in fact "sending themselves up", ie making money out of their circumstances, and why not.My wife (retired teacher) tells me that Warwick Davies (a dwarf) came to her school to give a talk, he is just over 1m tall, and was/is one of the funniest men she has ever met!
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1709 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2022 :  12:15:24  Show Profile
I recall a skip in the Jungle in Calais in what now look like the "good old days". it had written on it in big white painted letters "the answer is LOVE". and we have our lovely Dutch girl Catheljene (sorry about spelling) exhorting us to be kind.

I met a bishop on top of Zomba Mountain. He was retired and I asked him why he had not returned to live in the USA. He replied thoughtfully, the people there are cruel. I fear we are here now.

I need therapy... a trip out in the MG!
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2022 :  13:03:27  Show Profile
I think this thread has run its course.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page