Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 Proud (new ) owner, Who and where
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Roger Cadogan

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2022 :  20:14:26  Show Profile
I have just received on old picture of my car LJ 7064. J2950. club records show that the car was manufactured 28/2/33, supplied to Knott Bros, Bournemouth and then via Mr. Kerr-Bailey to Mr. James W. Wyper on
9/3/33. Confirmation of who is pictured and when, together with anything
that can fill the gap between 1933 and and the late 60's when I bought it as a complete basket case. Anything would be appreciated.

Roger

mgtommm

USA
499 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2022 :  21:43:35  Show Profile
Great pic, Roger.

There's always something to learn from these early photos, like this J2 obviously has the matching half tonneau - not black, and it's neatly attached to the seatback. Wonder if the top/hood is same material?

Looks like you must have the chassis file - what is the original color? Looks to be mono-tone.

Thanks for sharing the pic.

tommm on the cold shore
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6023 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2022 :  21:53:40  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mgtommm

There's always something to learn from these early photos, like this J2 obviously has the matching half tonneau - not black, and it's neatly attached to the seatback. Wonder if the top/hood is same material?

Almost certainly not the same material as the hood Tommm. Don’t forget it was part of the seat assembly, not part of the weather equipment, but as you say, it matched, or was 'colour coded' to use modern parlance, to suit the paintwork. As far as I could determine it was probably just plain canvas. Of course later cars used Rexine for this item.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
499 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2022 :  01:25:02  Show Profile
Simon,

Even though the tonneau was attached to the seatback under the black rexine backing, it was toned to the body paint, not the interior, so I see no relevance as to whether it's weather equipment or part of the interior.

The sales literature states on the two-seater models the hood is of coloured rubberized twill to tone with the external colour scheme. So why wouldn't the hood & tonneau match, and be constructed with the same material?

My old original "rubberized twill" samples, while cotton, are not what I would consider canvas. The outer layer is very "twill", while the inside layer is a heather type weave. Much closer to rubberized wigan than canvas.

And a final thought... I doubt every J2 was consistent throughout production

tommm
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6023 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2022 :  07:28:33  Show Profile
Tommm,
While there is no shortage of photos showing the tonneau cover in colours other than black - the well known one of the L2s racing at Brooklands is one of the best examples - I could never find a photo that suggested the same was true of hoods. Where a few photos show the hood peeking out from under the tonneau cover they don’t seem to show it as a matching colour.

My comment about the cover being part of the upholstery rather than the weather equipment was not to imply that it was the same colour as the upholstery but rather to suggest that it probably/possibly wasn’t a waterproof item and thus perhaps just plain canvas. The fact that, I understand, the N Type (and possibly the P Type) had Rexine covers might lend some credence to that. In the photos of my car in its youth, the tonneau cover looks relatively flimsy, again suggesting perhaps that it’s just one layer of canvas rather than two, plus rubber.

Regarding the photo, it’s interesting to see the chrome tank straps of the spare wheel carrier on an early car. By January 1933 these had been dispensed with and painted ones used although most people nowadays seem to prefer the shiny finish of stainless steel rather than painted. (But presumably J3438 has painted straps? )

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 26/03/2022 07:30:40
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1628 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2022 :  09:43:25  Show Profile
Looks like the whole of the carrier is chromed which I guess is some justification for the use of polished S/S in replacement ones.
Never saw any rexine used on original covers for our cars. Old P type half tonneaus were double duck type material and attached to the back of the seat.

TH
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6023 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2022 :  11:11:24  Show Profile
The following Service Information Sheet extract from the 1975 Triple-M Yearbook addresses the issue of chrome tank straps on the J2.

As I recall, it was Mike Allison who told me about the N Type tonneau being Rexine. I can claim no personal knowledge!

P.S. Tommm,
Is it J3436 you had, not 3438 which is swept wing?

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 26/03/2022 11:12:30
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
499 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2022 :  16:55:41  Show Profile
I think the easiest way to find the original half tonneau fabric is from the seatback, under the black rexine. I have seen quite a few J, P, and N seatbacks and all (if still there) have remnants of the rubberized twill. Modern black wigan, with its fine weave, is relatively close, but it's not a twill. Unfortunately, the only way to get color in a J2 half tonneau or top/hood is by using synthetic stayfast, which to me is very, well, synthetic looking.

Seems to me the first to use black rexine on a half tonneau was TA, which continued right on into eary TC production.
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
499 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2022 :  17:02:01  Show Profile

P.S. Tommm,
Is it J3436 you had, not 3438 which is swept wing?

Yes Simon, you're correct, J3436. Black/green. No seat remnants or other clues to hood or tonneau. I presume black J2's used black weather equipment?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000