Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 RM Sotherby’s - Gene Ponder collection.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Johnball

United Kingdom
87 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2022 :  17:13:31  Show Profile
Interesting auction coming up in September of the Gene Ponder collection.

It will be interesting to see the prices, which may give a clue to current triple M values, all be it in USA.

Just a few of them are NA0947, NA0957, N0701, K0417, K0359, others are similar period P’s, S’s etc.

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3218 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2022 :  18:51:26  Show Profile
We have seen the cars listed, all to be sold without reserve. There are some nice cars and it will be interesting to see how they fare in the sale. See link below.

I understand Gene Ponder has passed away.

George
Registrar F/L/N types.

https://rmsothebys.com/en/home/lots/gp22#?SortBy=Default&SearchTerm=British%20cars&Category=All%20Categories&IncludeWithdrawnLots&Auction=GP22&OfferStatus=All%20Availability&AuctionYear=&Model=Model&Make=Make&FeaturedOnly=false&StillForSaleOnly=false&Collection=All%20Lots&TagLine=All%20Lots

Edited by - George Eagle on 21/06/2022 18:56:06
Go to Top of Page

Barry Walker

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2022 :  21:52:59  Show Profile
Reference the Gene Ponder Collection. However appertising these cars may seem, please take on board the following before contemplating a purchase, not least the high premium you will pay on the hammer price.

I am very experenced in bringing cars in from the US and you must understand the following could completely alter your purchase.
Internal US transport from Auction site to Houston (nearest port) is horrendous.
US Agents fees to get export are expensive.
Container charges have more than quadrupled in last 2 years. A 20ft. contaner could cost $8-10,000
5% import VAT on arrival.
Agents clearance fees
Movement to your home.

Let's hope they go really cheaply, for while it would be great to get these home, adding the this lot together is not like the old days, and may come as shock if you buy without being prepared.)
Good luck, Barry Walker. (P.S. I don't think Gene has passed away)
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3218 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2022 :  09:20:54  Show Profile
Reinout Voigt, who is Registrar for the NAMMM, has advised me that Gene Ponder passed away recently and that his wife has also passed away.

Reinout did send me a link to an obituary but I did not save it.

George
Go to Top of Page

Barry Walker

United Kingdom
226 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2022 :  20:44:43  Show Profile
Just for the record . Gene Ponder is alive and kicking, just spoken to his lifelong friend. Gene has just got back from Italy and is over seeing the auction in September.

B.W.
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3218 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2022 :  09:28:55  Show Profile
Reinout has contacted me again to mention he had found an obituary for a David J Ponder and that Gene Ponder is still alive. He apologised for the misunderstanding.

Gene Ponder has advised he is selling the collection following the death of his wife a few months ago and his son 4 years ago. The cars are no longer important to him.

George
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
751 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2022 :  11:06:14  Show Profile
I tried to buy one of the cars before it went to the USA. Thought too long and it had gone grrr.

I suppose if enough of the buyers were UK based it would make sense to get together to mitigate some costs.

Or are you Barry trying to put us off so you can buy all the prime cars? :D]

John Cooper M 628

Edited by - Cooperman on 28/06/2022 11:10:03
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000