Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 1935 -1936 MG PB
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Midget PB

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2022 :  15:34:17  Show Profile
First , thanks for accepting me to my to this group. I do not on this car nor is it for sale. Trying To find any information about this car. Engine number is
832 APB, car no. Is PB 0637. I also know that 27 PA cars were retrofitted and sold as PB’s. Any racing history, photos. Tag on dash says built for Magid.

LewPalmer

USA
3209 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2022 :  19:32:33  Show Profile
Larry,
PB0637 has never been known to either the UK Triple-M Register or to the North American Triple-M Register(NAMMMR). The only documentation we have is the details from the original chassis files, which I will send to you via your email. Perhaps you could respond with more details like the current owner, where, when, and from whom it was purchased. We would also encourage the current owner, if not you, to join the NAMMMR.

Lew Palmer
Past Registrar, NAMMMR

Lew Palmer
PA1169, 2M1281, NA0651
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2022 :  21:37:45  Show Profile
Larry, I echo Lew Palmer's comments and would also encourage you to pass on any findings to us in here in the MGCC Triple-M Register. Mike Long is our registrar for the PA and PB models - his details are on the contacts page of this website.

Good luck with your investigations!

Dick Morbey, Register Secretary
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
secretary@triple-mregister.org
Go to Top of Page

Midget PB

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2022 :  02:26:19  Show Profile
Thanks , I’ll do what I can . I included some photos on my first post but they didn’t load, prolly a mistake on my end. As I get more info from my friend I will post it. I’ll try again on the photos when I get time and thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2022 :  11:44:49  Show Profile
Based on the information supplied by RM Sotheby's it's hard to be certain that this car is PB0637.

The stated body numbers 649/1145 in the advert have a typo, and the numbers 649/1445 that are revealed in the picture are from a 2-seater sports model, PA1021 in fact - that car went to Japan decades ago and was turned into a Q type lookalike special.

The body number from the factory records for PB0637 are 1763/2869.

So at this stage it's hard to state with any certainty what this car's identity is - a chassis knuckle number stamping, if there were one, would be more helpful than random brass plates!

PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK

Edited by - DickMorbey on 21/06/2022 13:50:55
Go to Top of Page

Midget PB

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2022 :  01:56:47  Show Profile

Go to Top of Page

Midget PB

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2022 :  02:01:20  Show Profile
PB 0627 is the correct number. Still trying to get into the building to get the frame number….
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2022 :  06:52:43  Show Profile
Thanks very much Larry.

I can see where the confusion in this thread has arisen because coincidentally a car described as PB0637 from the Ponder collection is being auctioned in September this year by RM Sothebys!

Reverting to the car you have discovered, yes, it does seem very likely to be PB0627, of which we have some, but not a huge amount of information in the register's records.

They include a note telling us:
Not in '97 or '00 NAMMMR lists. Received e-mail enquiry about this 17/9/02 from Gary Brooks who got my name from Lew Palmer. It gave info on body number but said that current body was all ali, 2 str rather like an Allard or Indy car of '50's. That fits with Register records from pre-'86.

The car itself was originally built as a PB 2-seater in December 1935 and was first registered for road use in March 1936. The first owner was F Byers of Monkseaton, Northumberland. The car was black and had green trim and the engine number you quote was the original one for the vehicle. The car's first UK registration number was JR 4370.

It would be great if you could get another look at the car to capture images of its chassis number stamping and the same for the engine number and maybe even the gearbox and otjer details. That would help give greater certainty about its identity but on the face of it it does seem to be PB0627.

PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Midget PB

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2022 :  12:48:09  Show Profile
Thank for this information as this is a big help. Could you supply an image of frame number location? The gearbox is with the car, the engine is apart and at another location. I will get this info to you as soon as I can get back into the building, thanks again.
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1545 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2022 :  14:45:11  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Midget PB
"Could you supply an image of frame number location?"

Larry,
This may help - from my PB0564:

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Midget PB

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2022 :  22:04:30  Show Profile
Thank you , this is a big help. I will post results as soon as I get in the building again.
Go to Top of Page

Midget PB

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2022 :  01:24:31  Show Profile

I was at the building today and have these photos to share. Engine and carbs are at two different locations. Hopefully we will get everything all in one place soon .

Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 29/06/2022 :  06:26:09  Show Profile
Thank you Larry and well done! There's no doubt that this is PB0627 - the real McCoy!

PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000