Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Website problems and suggestions
 Handicap for the "Search" function - - -
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gerhard Maier

Germany
865 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2023 :  13:26:38  Show Profile
Hello Nick,
every now and then it happens to me that I search for a post in the MMM-forum, and I don't manage to find it with the "SEARCH" function, although I am quite sure to have remembered the post exactly, and that I have selected "Archived Posts".
Now I have found out that the problem lies in the fact that it is allowed to delete a post completely as soon as the object is either found, or no longer needed.
I understand that these deletions save you some effort, but the downside is that these posts can never be found again via the "Search" function. And this is sometimes frustrating !

What do you think, was it a good idea to allow the complete deletion of posts, or do you see a possibility that these posts are still available to the "Search" function ?

Gerhard

Edited by - Gerhard Maier on 26/04/2023 13:27:02

Nick Feakes

USA
3340 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2023 :  21:18:43  Show Profile
Gerhard
Unfortunately, once a post is deleted, it is gone forever. I never envisaged anyone would want to search for a wanted ad. that had been satisfied.
I only delete the satisfied ads. so that it is easier for someone with a part to locate another member who is looking for that part. Maybe that is not how the Wanted forum is used?
Is it the case that when someone posts a wanted ad, members respond if they have one? If so, I could delete everything beyond page 1 for example. Or, I could just leave them all in place.
Let me know what you think about how that forum could best be managed.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
865 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2023 :  14:09:06  Show Profile
OK Nick,
the most important thing is that you don't have any avoidable trouble with the forum !

Yes, sometimes I remember seeing a certain MMM spare part detail in the "wanted" or "for sale" ads before, but often there is no chance to find that old post again !

But as you say, this is basically an unimportant task for the "wanted" or "for sale" ads.

Gerhard
Go to Top of Page

timothy edwards

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2023 :  14:59:16  Show Profile
I was interested to read Gerhard's observations on retrieving information with the search function.
Often the posts related to "Parts for Sale" and "Parts Wanted" include photographs which are a useful reference. On a number of occasions I have tried to look back at an old posting in these categories and not been able to do so. I now know why.
It is my view for what it's worth that posts in the For Sale and Wanted, particularly those which include photographs of original parts and documents, should be archived and not deleted when "Satisfied".
Cheers, Tim Edwards.
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3340 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2023 :  15:10:30  Show Profile
I do not delete any "Parts for Sale" advertisements, I transfer them to the "Parts SOLD" forum. I could certainly leave the "Parts Wanted" advertisements, I felt that if the list gets too long, it is extremely unlikely anyone would search through it. I do not archive that forum, but I will to preserve those items if you wish.
Bear in mind, that if there are no replies to any topic, the originator of that topic can delete it themselves, then it is gone for good.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

timothy edwards

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2023 :  16:02:01  Show Profile
Many thanks Nick. Perhaps I am not putting the right stuff in to enable the "Search" to find what I am after. Anything in "Sold" should I presume be found in a search?.
I would only think a change is wanted if other users wish it.
Tim.
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3340 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2023 :  23:09:29  Show Profile
Tim
Sorry, I never answered your question. The answer is yes, search will find SOLD items.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000