Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Website problems and suggestions
 Forum display.
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

coracle

United Kingdom
1875 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2023 :  09:35:16  Show Profile
I am not sure if it is just my equipment, or if it is a more general problem. Occasionally a forum topic becomes less than easy to read.

The example above (the brake cable lubrication thread) seems to be precipitated by the inclusion of a long hyperlink.

Is this a general problem or is it just me?

Westbury

United Kingdom
1954 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2023 :  09:54:13  Show Profile
Hello, Nigel.
I am experiencing the same problem.
Chris
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1875 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2023 :  10:37:53  Show Profile
Thanks Chris,

I have just tried the same thread on and android phone, an ipad and a PC; the same problem, although the larger the screen, the less difficult it is, but one has to keep moving about to read everything that is off to the right of the screen.

If it is a general problem is there an easy fix Nick?
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3340 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2023 :  13:40:22  Show Profile
Nigel & Chris
I noticed this yesterday when looking through the day's posts, but then I couldn't find it again. With the help of Nigel's screen shot, I think I have fixed that post.
Would you please let me know if there are any other instances of that particular problem.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2023 :  19:12:31  Show Profile
All good, Nick.

Thanks.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1875 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2023 :  19:40:54  Show Profile
There have been other instances in the past but I cannot remember the specifics now. They always seem to occur when , for one reason or another, a particularly long hyperlink is posted.

For some reason they don't seem to wrap and thus extend the forum width excessively. It looks as though the easy fix was to delete the offending hyperlink, but I imagine some change is needed to allow them to wrap and still be effective?

Don't know, just guessing.
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3340 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2023 :  22:38:54  Show Profile
Nigel
You are correct. With the way these forums work, if a continuous string of letters is longer than one line length the only way it can be accommodated is to extend the frame we normally use. If a hyperlink is broken into several lines without inserting a special (hidden) character the hyperlink will not work. With the software we use for these forums, I don't think it is possible to do that, or to put it another way, I don't know how to do that.
Fortunately, this doesn't happen very often so I think we can live with it. Instead of using hyperlinks that are long, simply name the website and the item description / part number or in the case of eBay - the item number. Less convenient, but it works.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2023 :  23:39:45  Show Profile
Nick,
It’s interesting that the hyperlink I had used in that thread did wrap. Was that because there was a hyphen in Triple-M ?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1875 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2023 :  09:19:38  Show Profile
Thanks Nick, understood.

Simon,

the problem it where a hyperlink is so long it would have to wrap somewhere in the middle to keep to an acceptable frame width. I imagine that wrapping within the forum only happens at spaces or hyphens. In the absence of such, the forum frame just gets pushed out.

Your hyperlink did not wrap itself and was short enough not to upset the format.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2023 :  10:03:55  Show Profile
It wraps itself on my iPad, but at the hyphen, hence my question to Nick.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 15/11/2023 10:04:32
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1875 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2023 :  11:13:57  Show Profile
Good point Simon; presumably the ipad OS is smart enough to automatically put in the hidden character that Nick spoke of, or it is, as you said, the hyphen.

If it were the hyphen though, rather than a hidden character, one might expect the functionality of the link to be compromised?

Edited by - coracle on 15/11/2023 11:19:06
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3340 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2023 :  13:13:09  Show Profile
Simon
That is interesting. I do not know the answer to that, but you must be right. Maybe a hyphen is an acceptable line break in a hyperlink. Another of life's mysteries.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
5999 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2023 :  13:40:54  Show Profile
The link works just fine!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

coracle