Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 MG in workshop
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

fivestar

Philippines
33 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2013 :  18:54:14  Show Profile
I believe the MG in this photo is a Qtype.
Can anybody confirm this and also any idea whose workshop this is and who was the owner of the MG.
thanks

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2013 :  19:31:44  Show Profile
Hi,you are indeed right is indeed correct it is a Q-type,i believe QA252 which is in my workshop being restored by me for Mike Dowley.The car next to it is the Eccles Rapier now owned be Tim Metcalfe. Fairly sure the workshop is that of Thompson and Taylor at Brooklands. Not sure of the cars owner at the time,perhaps Colin Butchers can confirm the owner and my facts are correct,Oliver
Go to Top of Page

fivestar

Philippines
33 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2013 :  00:53:32  Show Profile
Thanks Oliver, and I wait to hear from Colin. what i found of interest was the "aeroscreen", which appeared to be bolted/riveted directly to the scuttle without the normal folding frame.
rgds Michael

Edited by - fivestar on 11/07/2013 00:54:32
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2013 :  03:00:09  Show Profile
J3 3756 had a newfangled Perspex curved aero screen fitted by the works before record breaking at Montlhery. It seems to have been screwed to the scuttle with a strip of rubber as a sandwich. The Q type one looks rather like that too. There is a very good photo of the aero screen in one of Richard Knudson's books, am I OK to attach a scan here from his book?

Matthew.
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3340 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2013 :  13:02:21  Show Profile
Publishing pictures that originally appeared somewhere else is a very tricky area. Is there a copyright notice at the beginning of the book? If so, you must seek permission. I would imagine this would be granted for a single image to be displayed here with suitable acknowledgement.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2013 :  04:48:47  Show Profile
OK, then email me mbmagilton AT msn.com if anyone wants to see the scan.

Cheers,
Matthew.
Go to Top of Page

saltandvinegar

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2013 :  13:34:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by ollirichardson

Hi,you are indeed right is indeed correct it is a Q-type,i believe QA252 which is in my workshop being restored by me for Mike Dowley.The car next to it is the Eccles Rapier now owned be Tim Metcalfe. Fairly sure the workshop is that of Thompson and Taylor at Brooklands. Not sure of the cars owner at the time,perhaps Colin Butchers can confirm the owner and my facts are correct,Oliver

Go to Top of Page

saltandvinegar

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2013 :  13:35:30  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by saltandvinegar

quote:
Originally posted by ollirichardson

If it wasn't for the glasses that chap in the Stores could have been me!

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2013 :  13:56:05  Show Profile
Both Ollie and I really wanted the Q Type to be QA0252 as we have very few photographs of this car, and consequently, I decided that the workshop must be Bellevue Garage in Wandsworth. The chap on the left with his back to the camera is obviously Wilkie Wilkinson whilst the chap on the right at the stores counter looks like Bill Kite's Dad who kept everything in the workshop tidy. QA0252 was sold as new to a Russian Count, Count Owczarow, who never seemed to do anything with the car at all alhough he left it with the Evans family at Bellevue for safe keeping. By early 1935, he had sold the car to Bellevue and in Wilkie's autobiography he said that Bellevue raced two Q Types during 1935 - which were QA0252 and the single seater QA0254. So - problem solved. But - not quite.

I then came across a picture in the Brooklands Society Gazette, Vol.21, No 4 of 1996 (page 21) which shows exactly the same workshop, which the Brooklands Society identified as Robin Jackson's workshop inside the Track. The cars were identified as Robin Jackson's own 1500cc litre Alta at the far end, next to Roy Eccles' supercharged Rapier Special (now owned by Tim Metcalf) and then A R Samuel's very rapid Q Type with standard offset body (QA0256).

The trouble is that I cannot see that Samuel drove his Q Type, wearing race number 7 at any time in 1934, 1935 or 1936. After Samuel had sold QA0256 to W E Humphreys in the winter of 1936/1937, the car was raced by him on only two occasions with race number 7 on the side, on the 16th October 1937 and the 1st August 1938. So that seems to clear up the original eqnuiry about the photograph, but still leaves us looking for pictures of QA0252.

QA0256 has been in Australia since 1938/9 and currently is owned by th Ackroyd family who have had the car since 1998. Those of you who have recent editions of the MMM Register will note that the car is now owned by Colin Lord. This is not correct I had an e-mail from Norman Ackroyd only four days ago, confirming that he still owns QA0256 and doesn't know Mr Lord.

Colin B.

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 15/07/2013 14:04:26
Go to Top of Page

fivestar

Philippines
33 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2013 :  00:41:47  Show Profile
Many thanks Colin. Looks like it is RR Jackson's workshop and not T&Ts.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2013 :  11:05:54  Show Profile
Further to my previous posting, there is a possibiity that the Q Type on view is QA0255 rather than QA0256. QA0255 was owned by Robin Jackson for a while and he used to hire it out (for £10 a session) to anyone who wanted to get "The Outer Circuit Experience". One such person was Charles Mortimer who was a very useful motor cycle racer at The Track at the time who wanted to try racing on four wheels. He wasnt impressed. He got the car up to 109 mph very quickly, but the car wouldn't go any faster.
I also see that Jean Williams (Robin Jackson's fiancee) entered a 747cc supercharged green coloured with black wheels M.G. (entered in Jackson's name) in the BARC Meeting of 19th October 1935 carrying Race Number 7. No real proof yet, but it could well be QA0255.

(More boring stuff from Colin B.)
Go to Top of Page

fivestar

Philippines
33 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2013 :  23:54:34  Show Profile
For what it is worth, Alta #53 was delivered to R. Jackson on 11th September 1935.
it was subsequently sold to Robin Hanson in 1937.
Michael H
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2013 :  10:24:32  Show Profile
Q Type history is a bit of a never ending circle - which might result in us disappearing up our own exhaust pipes ! Robin Hanson first started his racing career with the Evans single seater QA0254 (I believe, hired from Bellevue) with all race entries booked in the name of Mrs E Hall-Smith. I wonder who she was ? After driving the Q for a couple of years, Hanson graduated to a Maserati, and then to the Alta.

Colin B
Go to Top of Page

fivestar

Philippines
33 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2013 :  23:51:57  Show Profile
Attached from the TNF group some info on Robin Hanson and Mrs. E.Hall-Smith:

http://forums.autosport.com/index.php?showtopic=74818&hl=Robin+hanson

in case anybody is interested.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

Bill Atherton

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2020 :  11:54:18  Show Profile
May I suggest that the Q type in the photo is at Robin Jackson's workshop at Brooklands and is QA 0256. Colin may be right that it is QA 0255 that was owned by Robin Jackson. The clue is that there is no oil filler cap on the scuttle. Robin removed the oil tank behind the firewall to save weight on QA 0256 and he may have done that on QA 0255. I have the March 15 1938 copy of the Motor photos of "Brooklands Season Opens" and it features the "W.E. Humphries Q-type MG,acquiring further urge" featuring no scuttle oil cap. I have owned the original factory body of QA 0256 since 1968 when Les & Rod Murphy replaced it with a new body. That old 1934 MG Factory body shows very clearly where the original hole for the firewall oil tank was refilled. Happy to send a photo if this sight will allow me. QA 0256 was sold by W.E. Humphriews to Leo Kelly in NSW and shipped out to Australia in 1938 and has lived here ever since along with QA 0257.

Bill Atherton
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000