Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Forum etiquette and guidance
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2014 :  06:50:02  Show Profile
Some readers will be aware of a recent posting and a subsequent thread in which comments were made by a third party about the experience which an owner was said to have had at the hands of an unnamed trade supplier.

That thread has now been deleted, and this was done for a variety of reasons, including the following:

1. The owner was unaware that the third party was intending to make the posting and was very concerned to see his ‘case’ in print and being discussed around the community;
2. Having conferred at length with the owner and his engineer as well as the supplier, I consider that the posting did not in all respects accord with the facts;
3. Upon reflection, the person making the posting now regrets having done so, although he considers that at the time he acted with the best of intentions and with the interests of enthusiasts in mind.

This may be an appropriate time to reflect on the etiquette that should govern the use of this Discussion Forum. Here are some basic guidelines:

1. The Triple-M Register Committee’s aim in setting up this website and the Forum was to support owners by enabling the giving and sharing of information and providing access to knowledge that is so necessary in rebuilding, maintaining and enjoying our cars.
2. In doing this we depend on everyone’s goodwill and co-operation right across the community. The Register wishes to encourage fair play by all concerned;
3. Therefore please resist the temptation to use the Forum to berate, disparage or defame other people;
4. If an individual has a gripe about service received, the forum is not the place to air it. The individual should take the matter up with the trader or supplier with whom he has an issue. If the complainant is a MGCC member, he may refer it to the Triple-M Register committee for our consideration and investigation, if deemed appropriate. All information given is treated in the strictest of confidence;
5. Contributions to this Forum and dealings involving enthusiasts and traders should be based on a high level of mutual respect with fairness being a key principle;
6. We have formal rules which apply to all users of this website – see http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/mgccpolicy.asp We are reluctant to wield a big stick in policing the website, but will not hesitate to do so if the circumstances warrant it.

And now some more general guidance:
The ownership of Triple-M cars can be a confusing, joyous, frustrating but happily a generally rewarding experience.

Our community is a very diverse one, ranging at one extreme to those who are steeped in knowledge and experience of Triple-M cars and their many peculiarities to, at the other extreme, those who have come to these cars more recently without the benefit of that experience.

The same goes for some engineering firms – for example, not all possess the knowledge or experience of setting up Triple-M cylinder heads or other vital elements of the car that can make or break an owner’s dream of the perfect restoration.

How do you decide where to go to achieve your dream car? This is a question as old as the hills!

Happily, help is never far away through this Forum, but equally you can share experiences at your local "Natter" or by direct contact with other experienced owners and enthusiasts, which can provide an effective means of exchanging information and insights. At times this may be more effective than leaping into print!

Now let's get on with enjoying our cars!

Best wishes to all,
Dick Morbey
Register Chairman

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2014 :  21:56:00  Show Profile
Dick

As the MMM community is a world wide one, how do you suggest overseas members apply your comments re natters in the last sentence, when we cannot attend these Natters?

Can we email a nominated person with an authority to advise, to get updated?

Overseas members spend considerable amounts of money on MMM parts and services. Knowing there are now traders that are obviously suspect, without being able to attend these Natter's and experiencing these exchanges and insights this unfortunately sends doubts about all the traders unless we are advised who is good, or bad.

Buyer beware is of little help without knowledge, also when the freight costs to us overseas and their return if no good often exceed the original value of the part. Yes we are then stuck with them.

RodB NZ
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2014 :  22:11:45  Show Profile
Hello Rob and thanks for your comments.

I would readily concede that the basis of my note was UK-centred. You folks many thousands of miles away do perhaps need supporting in other ways.

Quite what those ways should be is perhaps difficult to define and I would certainly not discourage you from placing enquiries through our website forum. Equally if you feel, or a respondent to a question feels, that the subject matter is, shall we say, delicate – then there is no reason why you shouldn't direct to your enquiry to one of the committee over here. Our email addresses are published on the website so we are readily accessible.

Although we cannot necessarily make firm recommendations – particularly about the selection of suppliers or service providers, we may nevertheless be able to give you a worthwhile steer.

Hope this reply is of some assistance.

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3672 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2014 :  09:48:58  Show Profile
Having re-read Rob's posting it is possible that one phrase he used might be misconstrued by some.

To be quite clear, no implication whatsoever is being made by anyone that any trader is 'suspect'. My post as Register Chairman was to highlight the importance of enthusiasts networking generally, especially if they are unfamiliar with the wider Triple-M community.

This will help them find out the best ways of getting help in restoring their cars and discovering what the community can offer them in terms of advice, parts, natters and events etc. etc.

All parts suppliers provide an absolutely essential service in helping keep our cars on the road and we should all be extremely grateful to them for what they do to help enthusiasts preserve the marque.

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2014 :  15:52:42  Show Profile
Dick. As you will be aware , I am sure, the VSCC have a section on their Forum entitled 'Suppliers and Services'in which members who have used a particular supplier or service, covering the whole range of work on our types of cars, recommend (& sometimes otherwise) that company. Recommendations range from suppliers of nut & bolts, trimming, chrome plating, machining etc etc.
Whilst our forum does show Suppliers & Restorers those listed appear to be just that company's adverts rather than postings from persons who have used a service& wish to make it know to all of us.
I sincerely hope that a) I have not missed something on our forum & we already have what I suggest & b) this is the place to suggest this & it is relevant to this discussion.
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2014 :  16:23:31  Show Profile
Ray
I make all of the posts on the "Suppliers" forum. Every one is as a result of a personal recommendation from one of our members following good work and good service. If you (or anyone) would like to recommend a provider of a service in any country (tell me which one!) I will add their details to that forum.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
563 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2014 :  20:32:58  Show Profile
Nick. My apologies. I had been looking at suppliers only via the Links section. I just knew I shouldn't have leapt in with both feet!!.
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3331 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2014 :  22:09:02  Show Profile
Ray
No problem. Please let me know if you have a recommendation.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
987 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2014 :  11:15:21  Show Profile
Nick, that is a useful list. Has no-one recommended anyone for full engine rebuilds? Mine is running fine BTW, but the rebuilder is now retired. It seems to me that this is one of the areas of possible contention. White metalling would be another useful subject. I realise this is not up to you Nick, so come on, everyone, who do you recommend?

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

leckstein

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2014 :  11:39:57  Show Profile
And would love to know if anyone has a rebuilder here in the states. The float across the pond and back is so expensive.

Mike L
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
937 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2014 :  08:41:46  Show Profile
The following thread on the MG TD/F forum may be of interest in displaying what can be said and done in a critically constructive and helpful manner, and yet occur in a highly litigious country. It may help to inform how this Forum can move forward to support all members exploring concerns relating to supplier's products and services.

http://www2.mg-cars.org.uk/cgi-bin/gen5?runprog=mgbbs&mode=thread&access=61556753104047&subject=8&source=T&thread=2014040408591611073

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2014 :  21:28:06  Show Profile
Ian, I have been following this thread with interest as we are about to install the same cam and the updated springs after Easter into a TC.

It would be best I do not give an opinion yet, but our customer has read the thread and is still keen to proceed, we have had regular prompt communication all the way through the time span of the thread from the trader.

RodB NZ
Go to Top of Page

leckstein

USA
408 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2014 :  23:13:32  Show Profile
I know the trader, and although I have not bought his cam for my TF, his reputation in the US is,to my knowledge, spotless. However, I think the thread referred to illustrates exactly what is feared in allowing one or two unhappy members use this forum as a soap box for their dissatisfaction.
The only solution is to let members note problems regarding a service or purchase without naming the trader, and let anybody interested in a similar service to contact that member directly for more details. Not a perfect solution, but one that may be better than none.

Mike L
Go to Top of Page

gordclark

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2014 :  15:39:56  Show Profile
There’s an old expression .. Water always seeks it own level

Similarly, I feel that the members of this forum are capable of policing their own affairs. If necessary, and in the case of a bad apple, they can petition the webmaster to have it removed. That was the case with the instance, mentioned by Ian Bowers and Mike Leckstein. I had occasion in June to personally speak with the party involved, who felt unjustifiably judged, and who, as Mike pointed out, has a spotless reputation. It was a case of one person unreasonably expecting too much, and it took off from there.

On the same forum, there was an instance involving the late Jack Knight. I was threatened with legal action. Jack being quite dead was not able to defend the situation, and it was also removed. And there have been others.

We are lucky that we have these free forums and there is no doubt that their value simply cannot be measured. Fortunately, participating members use common sense, and these issues are resolved. In effect, we find our own level!

Gord Clark
Rockburn, Qué.
TF 4592
PA 0921
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000