Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 A Winner
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2014 :  11:01:21  Show Profile
Can anyone tell me about this picture?

Sam

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2014 :  11:24:47  Show Profile
Hi Sam,

It's Norman Black and mechanic Frankie Taylor after winning the 1931 Ulster TT with C0253.

Cheers,
Cat
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2014 :  19:04:49  Show Profile
Thanks Cat. I notice on the internet -

In 1934 Frankie worked for the M.G. company at Abingdon, and was a friend and mechanic of the racing driver Kaye Don, and just eight months after his marriage was a passenger in Don’s car when he was practising on the Isle of Man for a forthcoming race. Don took a corner at over 60 miles per hour and hit another car, crashing through a hedge and landing upside down. Frankie died instantly….

I also notice the chap on the extreme right hand side looks like his brother - twin brother perhaps?
Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 02/09/2014 19:13:40
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2014 :  21:17:11  Show Profile
Hi Sam,

That's Cec Cousins on the far right, I believe! I've never heard of there being a family connection, but who knows?

Cheers,
Cat
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2014 :  21:22:56  Show Profile
Yes, that is Cecil Cousins!
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3056 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2014 :  00:40:30  Show Profile
Cecil Cousins. Thanks.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1481 Posts

Posted - 03/09/2014 :  11:18:47  Show Profile
Kaye Don certainly claimed on Court that Frankie Tayler was a personal friend, but I suspect that he was trying to offload some of the blame for the accident onto poor Frankie's shoulders. The truth of the matter is that Don was an internationally known racer and record breaker, whilst Tayler was simply a works mechanic (undeniably one of the best of the M.G. mechanics - probably second only to Reg Jackson) and therefore socially poles apart. I also believe that Tayler did not die instantly, but it was reported that whilst Don was silent after the accident (possibly in shock) Frankie Tayler was conscious and talking freely before passing away. Frankie had been working for several hours to improve the handling and braking of the K3 following complaints from Don. Don then went to "play cards" with Hugh Hamilton and others which possibly included a certain amount of refreshment, and when Frankie had completed his work, he insisted that Don should try the car out. That simply does not ring true to me at all. I don't think that he was in a position to "insist" on anything.

An excellent article on the entire tragic affair was printed in one of our Yearbooks some years ago under the title "Tragedy on the Isle of Man." Suffice to say that Don was convicted of dangerous driving and/or manslaughter and served a short prison sentence on the Isle of Man, but he was released early on the grounds of ill health. However, I think I am right in saying that he never raced again. The Coroner also criticised the M.G. Car Company for allowing the K3 to be used with defective brakes or steering - which I personally think was the most ludicrous conclusion to reach, and reflected a total lack of knowledge of the way in which the Competitions Department in general and Frankie Tayler in particular, prepared their racing cars.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000