Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 SCAM ALERT - PLEASE READ
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic   

Nick Feakes

USA
3340 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2015 :  15:46:54  Show Profile
One of our members placed an ad. on this forum. He was contacted by a David Leslie (dleslie483@gmail.com) with an offer of the parts he wanted complete with pictures. His offer was "send me the money and I will ship the parts to you". Our member countered with "I will come to you with cash". That was not acceptable to Mr Leslie. Our member smelled a rodent. The pictures came from a magazine advertisement a couple of years previously. I googled the email address and Mr Leslie has a history!
I STRONGLY recommend you do not include your email address in any wanted ad. as this is a clear invitation to some of our less honest brethren to offer non-existent goods.
Nick

Webmaster

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2015 :  16:14:11  Show Profile

May Mr Leslie live an extraordinarily long, and exceedingly unhappy life.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.
Go to Top of Page

gb

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2015 :  19:09:45  Show Profile

Unfortunately it is quite prevalent! I had a similar experience recently through PWC.com where I had placed a wanted add for a P type head and was offered one that had been found during a garage clear out that day(!). The guy had contacted me via a mobile phone and wanted £xxx to secure the deal, and if paid before 3.30pm he would get it shipped that day! Smelling a bit of a "coincidental rat" I asked if I could collect, and was told they were in the process of clearing the site so if I could get to a farm in Surrey before 4pm (knowing I was in Deepest Devon) I could come and get it, but easier to money transfer and have it shipped to arrive next day.

Bottom line: I prevaricated and decided to call the following morning only to find that the phone had been (and continues to be!!) disconnected..

PA 1836
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2138 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2016 :  18:29:30  Show Profile
Also, the scammer on Craiglists is still offering to sell an original looking ENV manual F type gearbox for £1100. He is still fielding enquiries today using an old Ebay photo of 5 years ago from when Steve Baker sold the box to Hiro Nashio in Japan

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic   
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000