Triple M Register Forums
Triple M Register Forums
Home | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Technical Information Forum
 Fuel Filter MG Magna.
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

graham3647

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2020 :  16:32:56  Show Profile
Iíve installed an in line fuel filter in the fuel line to the SU pump but originally the car had a Malpas fuel filter installed after the pump. Fitted to the firewall.

Iím now thinking that the after pump installation maybe a much better idea?

Is there a right or wrong way? I had an inline filter fitted to my J2 for many years without issue.
Thanks, Graham.

LewPalmer

USA
2591 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2020 :  18:48:51  Show Profile
Always fit the filter AFTER the pump. Should the filter become blocked the pump will struggle to overcome the block and possibly burn itself out. Fitting it after the pump, the pump will simply stop pumping and do no harm should the filter become blocked.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, 2M1281
Go to Top of Page

graham3647

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2020 :  10:30:01  Show Profile
Hello Lew,
Sorry about the late reply and yes Iím pretty sure that you are correct. Someone else has made a good point. A filter before and after the pump is also a good idea. Apparently teatime is exactly what is installed on modern cars.
I canít see any reason why not?
Cheers #127867;
Go to Top of Page

sven

Sweden
301 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2020 :  10:45:52  Show Profile
I agree with Lew.
NO filters before the SU pump.
Cheers
Sven
Go to Top of Page

roger cadogan

United Kingdom
250 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2020 :  11:59:53  Show Profile
Don't overlook the fact that an SU pump has an effective filter on the suction side built into the body and accessed via the hexagonal nut at the bottom of the body. Of the many pumps I have rebuilt over the years, those that have operated with a dirty fuel system would seem to demonstrate the effectiveness of the of this inbuilt unit. As for a blocked addon filter on the suction side causing pump coil burnout, would the cars performance owing to a weak mixture cause an obvious problem before the pump stalled because of a suction blockage?

Roger
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple M Register Forums © 2003-2020 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000