Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Technical Information Forum
 Austin Seven 4 speed box in a M type
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SV4670

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2021 :  16:23:14  Show Profile
Has anyone tried fitting an Austin Seven 4 speed box to a M type successfully? Why would I want to do that? Because they are relatively easy to come by, alternative gear ratios are available, and pre-war so would be VSCC eligible.
My preliminary investigations indicate it would be challenge but I believe it could be done.
Thoughts and comments welcome

roger cadogan

United Kingdom
335 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2021 :  17:04:38  Show Profile
Sorry I can be of no help on this particular matter but like growing bananas on Ben Nevis, it can be done if you throw enough money at the problem.
Stay well and best of luck.

Roger
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1093 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2021 :  17:06:33  Show Profile
4 speed morris box fits. My old D Type had one in it.

Colin Murrell
PA0786 (D0285 previously)
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
746 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2021 :  18:46:17  Show Profile
The 4 speed box might be VSCC eligible but it will kick you out off the standard class and move you to modified or special.
Anything familiar to the crash box (wolsley or morris I believe) should be easier and might get a nod from the eligibility committee

Onno "J,D,M" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

SV4670

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2021 :  20:57:58  Show Profile
The car is already modified but yes it would possibly move it into the special class. I have access to machine tools and can undertake most of the work I can foresee except cutting splines. The Austin Seven gearbox has an internally splined female end on the first motion shaft as opposed the splined male first motion shaft of the MG. This will require a special shaft and a lot of work on the clutch and flywheel but not impossible.
Go to Top of Page

Hornet

United Kingdom
340 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2021 :  22:55:17  Show Profile
you might be able to get a modern centre plate with the same serration as the Austin 7
the a7 4 speed crash gearbox would be my choice , the gears are the same DP as 4 speed Wolseley boxes but the output shaft is a lot stronger on the Austin ,
Go to Top of Page

SV4670

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2021 :  18:09:57  Show Profile
Yes, I have a A7 four speed crash box. It is a strong gearbox, the problem is the dreadful gear ratios. There are various gears available for A7 synchro boxes so I could get an optimum set of ratios.
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
2654 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2021 :  00:33:43  Show Profile

Derek, a four speed Minor gearbox avoids all the practical complications of mixing the products of two alien manufacturers.

Minor gearboxes now seem to be de rigueur on M-types for good reason. Apart from the Minor four speed being a good gearbox , an M-type hand brake bolts straight on.

The Minor gearbox will even take a J remote.

Is there something incongruous and aesthetically discordant about mixing Austin and M.G.parts even if they are of the same period?

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1212 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2021 :  22:09:29  Show Profile
The Minor box will take the remote but not the turret without modification/butchery.
I think SV may be hoping to avoid the expense of a Wolseley box.

Edited by - Blue M on 05/05/2021 22:13:00
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
2654 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2021 :  23:49:55  Show Profile

Wolseley Hornet and Minor four speed gearboxes seem to be increasingly difficult to find but so far they do eventually turn up.

Does anyone know what a good rebuilt Wolseley / Minor gearbox costs these days ?

Sam
Go to Top of Page

SV4670

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2021 :  08:14:07  Show Profile
Thank you for the replies. The optimum solution for me would be a close ratio MG J2 gearbox but they are not readily available.
A reasonable compromise is the Minor four speed box but they seem hard to find. The other issue that concerns me is the availability of new gears for either of the gearboxes just mentioned; I suspect any gearbox I find will be worn out and need new internal parts. Parts for MG gearboxes might be available - at a price - but I suspect bits for the Morris box would have to be made specially. Or are the internals of Morris and MG boxes interchangeable?

I understand some people might consider it heresy to fit an Austin gearbox but the idea does have merit due to the relative easy of obtaining one and the availability of new parts.
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
746 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2021 :  19:21:10  Show Profile
Usually the internals are salvageable except for the bearings and perhaps a straight shaft.
The gearboxes are over built for the power these little cars make so gears can have a long life.

Onno "J,D,M" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Hornet

United Kingdom
340 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2021 :  20:39:04  Show Profile
a good 65/78 hornet 4 speed crash should be around. 2K , early ones aren't so sought after , minor / Wolseley 9 and wasp boxes are rather prone to worn 1st +2nd gear from bad gear changing , hornet boxes don't usually need to drop to 1st when rolling except really steep hills so the teeth on first are usually in good condition . new 1st and 2nd gears are available for minor and hornet , J2 and PB
Go to Top of Page

SV4670

United Kingdom
225 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2021 :  20:53:15  Show Profile
Could someone tell me the gear ratios of the Hornet 4speed crash box please? Will the gearbox bolt directly to a M type flywheel housing? Thanks for the help with this.
Go to Top of Page

Hornet

United Kingdom
340 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2021 :  22:02:33  Show Profile
hornet 65 or 78 crash box is the same ratios as PB , yes it is the same bolt pattern as m type , early boxes have the short input shaft with 6 splines same as m and j , later has longer input shaft 10 splines. , deeper clutch pit which also uses later Borg beck clutch .
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1446 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2021 :  08:57:02  Show Profile
I have a spare J2 gearbox c/w remote and excellent internals. Would advise new bearings. Currently assembled. £1,500
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2021 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000