Triple M Register Forums
Triple M Register Forums
Home | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 Doreen Evans - when was this picture taken?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Onno

Netherlands
657 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2020 :  22:54:33  Show Profile
181 never had a Jag derived engine. Afaik it only ran a twin cam engine (with a supercharger the size of a J type engine)
135 had the jag engine fitted but I think it only ran that at Jabeke in Belgium

Onno "J,D" KŲnemann
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
1932 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2020 :  20:10:57  Show Profile
Well Simon, you are of course entitled to your view, as I am to mine.

I have a further observation, only just noticed. The Jag appears to have a divided windscreen which would make it a MkVII or MkVIII which would thus allow an earlier date. In fact, back to the early '50s

Dave (Still convinced!)
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
3934 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2020 :  20:18:56  Show Profile
Dave,
I too had wondered did the Jag have a divided screen as my Dad had a Mk VII so Iím familiar with the model. But given that the photo was apparently dated 1960 the actual model didnít seem relevant. I have read somewhere that Doreen had a Mk VII (perhaps as part of her divorce settlement?) so the photo could be much earlier, but I canít see that the record breaker type car beside it can be anything other than EX179 or its later incarnation of EX219. Even the white horizontal stripe along the lower body is clearly visible in photos of EX179/219. What do you reckon it is?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
1932 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2020 :  21:59:09  Show Profile
What white stripe Simon?

The headrest appears to be approximately above the rear axle and its fairing terminates at the rear of the vehicle. The MG badge is much larger than that on EX179, and is immediately behind the headrest

EX179 at Gaydon similarly from NSR

The headrest is in front of the rear wheel and its fairing terminates just aft of the rear wheel. The MG badge is quite small and is some way aft of the headrest itself.

I am quite convinced we are looking at EX135.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
3934 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2020 :  22:27:04  Show Profile
Indeed, your first photo above is very plausible, Dave Since the Mk VII came out in, I think, 1950, it certainly widens the possible time frame. Perhaps the event is then the1951 record breaking one? Which answers the question Geoff posed originally!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
1003 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2020 :  08:00:53  Show Profile
Well done Dave, I think you have solved the mystery.

Perhaps the lesson here is not to depend too much on a date written on the back of a photo !

Often it has been done long after the event combined with a hazy memory result : inaccuracies. I know Iíve done exactly that on more than one occasion.

Chris
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple M Register Forums © 2003-2020 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000